1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Retratable Micro USB?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by atomicwedgie, Dec 22, 2009.

1. atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie New Member

I have one for the iPod and it works jim-dandy so I'd like to see about one for my Droid.

I've checked mono-price but I don't see a retractable micro-usb cable.

Amazon has some but none are highly rated.

Thing is... I don't want to risk the eBay junk-pile.

EDIT: Ok I found THIS at the AndroidCentral store but would still love to hear from someone that's used one.
  2. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

My local electronics store has both mini and micro retractable USB cables. All the retractable cables look the same and all cost about $10, so I'm wondering if they all are made by the same company. I ordered the Zagg Sparq battery yesterday and expect to get it next week. When I do, I am taking it to the store and trying the retractable cable to see if I can charge the Droid using it and the Zagg battery.

I bought a retractable USB cable kit about a year ago. It has a mini USB adapter and some others, but not a micro USB adapter. When I tried it with my external Toshiba 320 GB hard drive, it would not supply enough power to spin the drive. Any regular mini USB cable worked fine. I think that the wires might be too thin to allow a high enough voltage to power devices or even charge at a higher charge rate. Perhaps the wire resistance is high enough to drop the voltage too much, even in that short a length.

I will report back after I try it, but that probably won't be until the end of next week.

Edit: I just looked at the photo of the one that I will try and it is somewhat different than the ones I have been looking at on Amazon. The ends of the cables are inline instead of offset, so it is a different manufacturer.
  3. monkeydog

monkeydog New Member

If you wanted to order one online you can get them here.
    USB 2.0 to Micro 5-Pin Cable - Emerge

I've been using a retrak rj45 retractable cable for about 5 years now and it's still going strong. CompUSA carried this brand.
  4. masterxchief

masterxchief New Member

5. jasondcannon

jasondcannon New Member

Search tags for this page

retractable usb cable monoprice