Which USB type for Droid?

Reaction score
okay so we need a usb 2.0, anyone know the difference between the 28/28 gauge and the 28/24?

cuskit

Reaction score
okay so we need a usb 2.0, anyone know the difference between the 28/28 gauge and the 28/24?

USB cables used for the purpose such as Droid Smartphones require a cable capable of transmitting both power and data. As such - there are minimum standards set up for the construction of stranded wires used in these cables. Basically what this means to the layman is that the MicroUSB cables we use for our Droids consist of two separate pairs of wire in the same casing. One for power transfer (charging your phone) and one for data (I digress...). ;)

28/28 means that both pair are the same gauge, 28/24 includes one heavier gauge and one lower gauge. To elaborate - this means that you are getting a higher gauge wire for the power transmitting side (the 24 gauge) with a 28/24 rated cable, while with a 28/28 you are getting the same lower gauge for both power and data. The data side is not as critical as the power side.

It may be confusing - but the lower the number - the thicker the wire. For example, 28 gauge is a thinner wire than 24 gauge. There's a lot more to it than just the gauge involved here - but you only asked numbers. But you should also be aware of the difference between high speed and low speed. Gauge also comes into play here. But twisted strands play a more important role than the gauge - which is why on high speed USB they recommend twisted data strands, though it is not required. If you are either buying or receiving cables for your Droid - be sure to inquire just what you are getting. Many of the problems we hear about on these forums are directly related to cheap cables (I'm speaking quality - not price. The two do not always go hand in hand). Many chargers do not work - you hear of Droids going haywire and such, and the touch screen working weird when connected to the cheaper (quality) chargers - in many cases this is caused by inferior quality cables.

By the way - the power stranded sides are always untwisted while the data strands may or may not be (higher quality cables use twisted strand for data).

For the record - these facts come from a meager understanding of wiring left over from a long and distant memory of high school electricity 101. ;) Should anybody with a more qualified knowledge be able to explain this better (or even tell me I'm wrong), have at it - I'm all ears with wide shoulders! ;)

I will state here that all the MicroUSB High Quality Cables included FREE with shipped MIKRADLES are the 28/24 gauge. I could supply a cheaper wire which would work in most cases, but I feel the quality of the cable should be at least as high as the quality of my product! :) mike

Last edited:
Reaction score

USB cables used for the purpose such as Droid Smartphones require a cable capable of transmitting both power and data. As such - there are minimum standards set up for the construction of stranded wires used in these cables. Basically what this means to the layman is that the MicroUSB cables we use for our Droids consist of two separate pairs of wire in the same casing. One for power transfer (charging your phone) and one for data (I digress...). ;)

28/28 means that both pair are the same gauge, 28/24 includes one heavier gauge and one lower gauge. To elaborate - this means that you are getting a higher gauge wire for the power transmitting side (the 24 gauge) with a 28/24 rated cable, while with a 28/28 you are getting the same lower gauge for both power and data. The data side is not as critical as the power side.

It may be confusing - but the lower the number - the thicker the wire. For example, 28 gauge is a thinner wire than 24 gauge. There's a lot more to it than just the gauge involved here - but you only asked numbers. But you should also be aware of the difference between high speed and low speed. Gauge also comes into play here. But twisted strands play a more important role than the gauge - which is why on high speed USB they recommend twisted data strands, though it is not required. If you are either buying or receiving cables for your Droid - be sure to inquire just what you are getting. Many of the problems we hear about on these forums are directly related to cheap cables (I'm speaking quality - not price. The two do not always go hand in hand). Many chargers do not work - you hear of Droids going haywire and such, and the touch screen working weird when connected to the cheaper (quality) chargers - in many cases this is caused by inferior quality cables.

By the way - the power stranded sides are always untwisted while the data strands may or may not be (higher quality cables use twisted strand for data).

For the record - these facts come from a meager understanding of wiring left over from a long and distant memory of high school electricity 101. ;) Should anybody with a more qualified knowledge be able to explain this better (or even tell me I'm wrong), have at it - I'm all ears with wide shoulders! ;)

I will state here that all the MicroUSB High Quality Cables included FREE with shipped MIKRADLES are the 28/24 gauge. I could supply a cheaper wire which would work in most cases, but I feel the quality of the cable should be at least as high as the quality of my product! :) mike

much appreciated!

MJ5150

Reaction score
Mike....I pull data/fiber cable for a living. Your comments are accurate for this audience. Do your research people on the quality of the USB cable. There is a difference.

I wouldn't have a problem buying a USB cable from cuskit, he knows what he is talking about. But hey, I can make my own. :D

-Mike

Last edited: