Which phone to get now?

armedmonkey

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between DX2, Thunderbolt, and now the brand new bionic. I'm also hearing whispers in the wind about the elusive HTC Vigor, but that one may be quite far down the line because I can't find an approx release date.

So I open the panel? What would you guys recommend? I'd really quite like to have one with an unlocked/unlockable bootloader.

What I see is a little disappointing... DX2 and Bionic have quite similar specs (sources below). It looks like they have the same exact processor, screen size, and ram, but bionic has a bigger SD (laugh), and it is slightly wider/thicker. Bionic also has a front-facing camera (which I don't see myself using much). I don't see what all the hype was about. Presumably bionic should have an unlockable bootloader, whereas I see X2 doesn't, and that makes $100 difference?

DX2: Motorola DROID X2 - Full phone specifications
TB: HTC ThunderBolt 4G - Full phone specifications
BIONIC: Motorola DROID BIONIC - Full phone specifications

TB I see has comparable specs, the front camera, but a significantly smaller screen resolution, but does feature an unlocked bootloader afaik?

and of course Vigor has some sexy specs, but who knows when it will be out?
HTC Vigor - Full phone specifications

edit: I did some more reading and it looks like Moto has failed to deliver again - looks like the BL is locked on the bionic too (unless I'm much mistaken).

km75

Reaction score
The bionic doesn't have the same processor as the DX2. They do however both have dual core processors. The thunderbolt doesn't have a dual cor processor at all.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
A

armedmonkey

Reaction score
According to my site... Is it wrong?

BIONIC
Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 AP20H chipset
DX2 Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 AP20H chipset

km75

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between DX2, Thunderbolt, and now the brand new bionic. I'm also hearing whispers in the wind about the elusive HTC Vigor, but that one may be quite far down the line because I can't find an approx release date.

So I open the panel? What would you guys recommend? I'd really quite like to have one with an unlocked/unlockable bootloader.

What I see is a little disappointing... DX2 and Bionic have quite similar specs (sources below). It looks like they have the same exact processor, screen size, and ram, but bionic has a bigger SD (laugh), and it is slightly wider/thicker. Bionic also has a front-facing camera (which I don't see myself using much). I don't see what all the hype was about. Presumably bionic should have an unlockable bootloader, whereas I see X2 doesn't, and that makes $100 difference?

DX2: Motorola DROID X2 - Full phone specifications
TB: HTC ThunderBolt 4G - Full phone specifications
BIONIC: Motorola DROID BIONIC - Full phone specifications

TB I see has comparable specs, the front camera, but a significantly smaller screen resolution, but does feature an unlocked bootloader afaik?

and of course Vigor has some sexy specs, but who knows when it will be out?
HTC Vigor - Full phone specifications

edit: I did some more reading and it looks like Moto has failed to deliver again - looks like the BL is locked on the bionic too (unless I'm much mistaken).

You are correct. But both the bionic and DX2 have root available

km75

Reaction score
Yeah that's incorrect. The DX2 uses the tegra 2. But the bionic uses the omap 4 processor like the droid 3

EFGantry

Reaction score
the Bionic has an OMAP 4430 processor.

if an unlocked/unlockable BL is high on your priority list, i would wait for the Nexus Prime. some rumors say it will be out in Oct, but it's more likely (imo) to be Nov/Dec. it will be a beast.

km75

Reaction score
Also one of the major differences between th DX2 and the bionic is that the bionic is 4g lte enabled. The DX2 isn't. The bionic also has 1gb of ram. The DX2 only has 512

Beka27

Reaction score
Also one of the major differences between th DX2 and the bionic is that the bionic is 4g lte enabled. The DX2 isn't. The bionic also has 1gb of ram. The DX2 only has 512

Lol. Yes, thank you! I'm shocked that it took 7 posts of DX2/Bionic comparisons for someone to say "LTE". That's a biggie. There's no comparison between the DX2 and the Bionic.

OP
A

armedmonkey

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you've been an amazing help. I'm thinkin - "Moto, you've let me down for the last time!". If they are going to go back on their word as they're doing, I'm not buying Moto again :).

I haven't heard of Nexus Prime - That's a samsung?

jseah

Reaction score
Bionic also has a front-facing camera (which I don't see myself using much).

Asides from being useful for video conferencing/chat (i.e. Skype), a front-facing camera also means that we can finally get away from the "self portraits standing in front of a mirror" that you see people posting online.

OP
A

armedmonkey

Reaction score
True, but the front facing cameras are usually pretty crappy :)