Where The Ladies At?

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
While she is not on the forum, my wife is a Droidette! Not so long ago, she was telling me that she hoped that the iphone would come to VZW and that as soon as it did, she would have one. Mostly that was to annoy me as I have an abnormal hatred for all things apple and she read a study that couples who annoy each other tend to stay together longer! Now that I have a Droid in her hand, she is a complete convert: hasnt left her hand other than to sleep, telling all her friends on twitter, facebook, etc.

phoenixdroid

Reaction score
Another lady Droid here since launch day. Not sure why the user base would be so heavily skewed male tho? I wasn't aware smartphones were gender based lol!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And this is Not a Dating Service......

Then I shouldn't have asked that guy for his wife's number?
subscribed.gif
wow....need help with google maps

patriot839

Reaction score
I will say that I'm suprised that women inteligent enough to own and operate a droid would even respond to a post with the title WHERE THE LADIES AT? Anyways yes I have read the stats other places that women are not buying the moto droid what gives I've seen pink droid cases

butch350

Reaction score
The Ladies...

know how to use their droids therefore they have the time to do more fun things other than hang out here.

:icon_ devil:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Oh please guys, everyone knows there are no girls on teh Internets. It's just guys pretending to get attention. :icon_ devil:

zakany

Reaction score
excuse me...

Why do the lines of Blazing Saddles spring to mind for me on this thread?

[video=youtube;TJkHykGRXrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJkHykGRXrw"]Where all da white women at?[/video]
[video=youtube;EYlDbv7MqE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYlDbv7MqE8"]'Scuse me while I whip dis out.[/video]

Ah. It's a classic.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hesitate to introduce a semi-serious comment in this thread but here goes.

The question is not why there aren't more women using android phones. The fact that so many women have managed to overcome a testosterone fueled design and advertising campaign for android phones is a testament to their willingness to ignore gender stereotypes.

The Droid is a brick compared to the iPhone. The primary advertising employs an industrial robot theme. Its primary sales point, "customization," appears to require a degree in computer science. (Well, perhaps not, but considering the unending threads on task killers, it would help.) Yes, you can get a fashionable case for the Droid and then it's a fashionable brick.

Alternatives (in the Verizon network)? Two. No offense meant to those who have the Eris, but other than size/weight it has all the weaknesses of the Droid and none of the advantages. And the phone that's supposed to provide a friendlier user experience? Who on earth thought a good name for the phone would be "Devour?" I'd bet the farm that marketing meeting had not a single female in the room. But that's not the worst of it. The phone is as heavy as the Droid, has a mediocre camera with a fixed focus and no flash. "Motoblur" ain't making up for that.

I've been trying to convince my wife to replace her ancient LG/ENV for three months. She tried the Eris and returned it a week later. (A defective phone but even if it hadn't been, it was hardly a significant upgrade.) When she picks up my Droid she comments that at least it could help her develop her biceps. And she informs me that she does not want a phone whose name implies either a dinosaur or a transformer.

Again, my compliments to women who've managed to look beyond all these issues and are enjoying the features of the Droid (or the Eris for that matter.) But if the manufacturers are going to appeal significantly to the female half of humanity, they need to rethink both the design and the marketing of android phones.

MrTommy

Reaction score
well, both my wife and I had LG NV2's. I opted to spend the bug bucks and buy my Droid long before our contract was up (cuz I just had to have a Droid!). She has stood back in the shadows watching me NJoy my new phone. But, she says it's just too big and bulky for her. She likes the size of the NV2. When the official contract is up and she's eligible for a new phone, she thinks she's going to do something like the NV3 or whatever the other phones in that line are. She sees no need for web access or most of the other stuff that 'smart' phones do.

This is fine for me because that saves us $30/month for data feed. Being the cheap bastard I am, I'm discouraging her at every turn. :biggrin:

KevinJ

Reaction score
The question is not why there aren't more women using android phones. The fact that so many women have managed to overcome a testosterone fueled design and advertising campaign for android phones is a testament to their willingness to ignore gender stereotypes.

The Droid is a brick compared to the iPhone. The primary advertising employs an industrial robot theme. Its primary sales point, "customization," appears to require a degree in computer science. (Well, perhaps not, but considering the unending threads on task killers, it would help.) Yes, you can get a fashionable case for the Droid and then it's a fashionable brick.

Alternatives (in the Verizon network)?
I agree that the advertising for the Droid is quite biased on the side of the male population. It's almost like the marketing people are straight from the TV show "Mad Men."

I don't know if it's an "alternative" to the Droid, but Verizon's ad for the "Palm Pre" tips the other way. To me (at least) the ads are extremely biased to the female population.

I , in fact, got my Droid on the recommendation of a female friend of mine. So take that, ad people! :D

I understand the concept of marketing to a particular segment of the population, but gender-bias for phones is pretty silly. I could easily see an ad that said "smartphones are for smart people. Other phones are for politicians." :icon_ devil: