Market at 20,000 apps - Should I Care

johnnieeve

Reaction score
Rather than spend a lot of time searching the market for apps, I rely on some of the posting here by fellow Droidies. As we find stuff that works for us, we should share it with the rest. Almost 1,000,000 Droids sold so lots of room for more applications.

Z-Droid

Reaction score
What about a market that ranks good apps vs bad and gets rid of those that suck? Take the fart apps for example: set a max of 20 fart apps in the market. We as users rank our favorites and only the top 20 survive - the rest go bye, bye. If it's done this way maybe we'll end up with only the cream of the crop.
or perhaps cream of the crap in the example stated?

frankieg22x

Reaction score
many people automatically want the iphone right off the bat when they hear about 100,000 apps and everything that the phone is capable of. This is the same for the droid. I think that the number of apps is just a marketing technique to draw buyers in. People hear that there are 20,000, but the phone has only been out for a couple of months. This makes them very excited to try the product.

How many apps do you think are actually useful with the iphone. Android will grow, just give it time.

bluedust

Reaction score
I'm not really sure it's such a good thing that the Android Market is at 20,000 apps. Why - how many of those are just plain junk? I prefer a smaller focused market where I can get what I want. I know it's great for Google, in terms of promoting adoption by developers of their OS, but as a user I don't want to sift through crap to get the stuff that is really worth it. What do you all think? :r_c:

Android Market statistics from AndroLib, Androlib, Android Applications and Games

Options are the spice of life my friend.

daddyd302

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't turn into a iphone copycat league. I don't want to see 30+ flashlight, or 30+ farts, all copy's of each other. Yeah the iphone has alot more apps, but how many of those are just copycat's of other apps? I fear the android market is going in the same direction.......

bluedust

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't turn into a iphone copycat league. I don't want to see 30+ flashlight, or 30+ farts, all copy's of each other. Yeah the iphone has alot more apps, but how many of those are just copycat's of other apps? I fear the android market is going in the same direction.......

Of course that is going to happen, unless you think you can stop people from creating apps, it's just the way it is.

OP
souljerr

souljerr

Reaction score
What about a market that ranks good apps vs bad and gets rid of those that suck? Take the fart apps for example: set a max of 20 fart apps in the market. We as users rank our favorites and only the top 20 survive - the rest go bye, bye. If it's done this way maybe we'll end up with only the cream of the crop.
or perhaps cream of the crap in the example stated?

Nice. We've got a joker... :)

johnflo88

Reaction score
Not really just like people on iPhone shouldn't care about the number they have.

A number is a number. Only some apps or games will appeal to you anyway. It just so happens that there is a greater likelihood of finding an app that fits your need if there are more to choose from.
The big # are good for Iphone users for argument.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rather than spend a lot of time searching the market for apps, I rely on some of the posting here by fellow Droidies. As we find stuff that works for us, we should share it with the rest. Almost 1,000,000 Droids sold so lots of room for more applications.
There are plenty of places to use as good references for apps. The forums here and on other Android sites, sites like Gizmodo, etc.

bluedust

Reaction score
There are plenty of places to use as good references for apps. The forums here and on other Android sites, sites like Gizmodo, etc.

^ This. My one friend was so confused how I knew so many good Droid apps, and I told her I learned them from this site. We have a good community here and it works.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Just posting a random response here because it has to deal with the market, but this just further promotes idea that the market is tough to navigate through and developers should be somewhat upset....

I am checking the Just-In section for applications and as I am scrolling down I see endless "Babes", "Boobs", "PhotoBooks" and themes. Legitimate applications are being hidden and simply relying on Top-Paid or Free will show the same ones a lot of the time, and of course unreliable ratings when people either fanboy an app or 1-star it because they do not understand the purpose - but that at least can be expected.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just posting a random response here because it has to deal with the market, but this just further promotes idea that the market is tough to navigate through and developers should be somewhat upset....

I am checking the Just-In section for applications and as I am scrolling down I see endless "Babes", "Boobs", "PhotoBooks" and themes. Legitimate applications are being hidden and simply relying on Top-Paid or Free will show the same ones a lot of the time, and of course unreliable ratings when people either fanboy an app or 1-star it because they do not understand the purpose - but that at least can be expected.

same gripe here.

eliassami5

Reaction score

quoted for truth