Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have an older Acer laptop. Probably 6 or 7 years old. Very slow ever since HDD replacement a couple years ago... Not sure it was instant but around that time.... At that time I had the whole thing torn apart and cleaned it... My CPU temps are crazy hot!! What do you suggest?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    81.6 KB · Views: 204
OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
They also seem to be working at maximum all the time.. I have nothing open but 5 tabs in Chrome.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
if the fans are running as they should and you are sure its not the battery, then next step is to replace the thermo paste on the cpu.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
6-7 years?!? I can't imagine using a laptop that old. Buy a new one. LOL, laptops are cheaper than phones.

As for helpful advice, I don't know. I've had some problems on laptops quite a bit newer than yours with Windows 10 updates. If you're on Windows 10, you shouldn't be with a laptop that old and you need to go back to 7.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with kodiak799. With every other Windows10 update my fans run at max, my ASUS fans are always running by design, then the next one fixes the overheating problem.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with kodiak799. With every other Windows10 update my fans run at max, my ASUS fans are always running by design, then the next one fixes the overheating problem.

Seriously. I had one laptop, about 6 years old, that just refused to play nice with Win10, so I went back to 7. Another about 4 years old and works pretty well, but a Win10 update wrecked it once (had to do a factory reset) and several others have had the fan working way more than it ever should, including sitting idle with otherwise 0 workload.

My daily driver is just over 2 years old and came with 10 installed. All 3 run fine, but all have issues with a couple keyboard keys sticking/malfunctioning (which is pretty much the death of any ultrabook as a daily driver).

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
if you look at the report that was attached, it shows it was not running that big of a load on the cpu. resources look normal to me. only the temperature was abnormal.

I do think replacing the thermo paste is needed, especially if its been overheating for a while (thermo paste can get brittle) when laptops run hot over a period of time or when sitting in storage for a while.

a couple other things that need to be looked at too. when the harddrive was replaced, was it a clone or system image installed, was the factory os that came with the laptop installed, or some other os installed. did you download the drivers needed from acer or some other site?

my mind is a bit slow at times so it may have been you or someone else, but there was a similar post in another thread not too long ago thread where i asked if linux was tried. If I remember correcting the response was linux was tried and it still had a heat problem. If it was you, then imo, it is not a resource, driver, or other software issue.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Yes it was me. Linux ran a little smoother only because its lighter. Still ran hot. All startup programs are off and it takes forever to boot and become usable. At first boot it's a solid 15 minutes before I can open anything then when I go to open Chrome it's a solid 3 to 5 minutes more. Once it's open its usable.

I know she's older but I just don't use it enough anymore to justify a new one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rice315

Reaction score
I agree with the replacing the paste suggestion. With time paste should be replaced on every device. Especially since at the factory when they initially apply it I've found they always do a half assed job and usually it's the cheapest paste they can find. Recently I replaced it on my sons Nexus phone and temp dropped by half

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk