Dell

mack19318

Reaction score
OK this is more of a rant but will also maybe give someone a heads up on this company.
so my CD/DVD burner/player on my laptop went out. wouldn't burn anything and would only import around half of anything, before stopping and ejecting. now i tried updating and all kinds of things and am sure its just time to replace. but my warranty is out and the 90 day warranty for fixed parts is also up. so i looked to see what exact model i had just to write it down for my online search of a new CD/DVD burner. upon looking at the info for my player i found out it is from mat****a which somehow doesn't have its own website or was bought by another company. this CD/DVD burner in my 2010 laptop was made in 2004 and last updated with new drivers on 6/21/2006! most people know that in technology/computers that 4 years is ancient let alone the 6 years from when it was made! i couldn't believe it. so up taking the back off of my laptop and looking at some parts which are all from other company's. Samsung hard drive, Kingston ram where just two that stuck out right away. both the hard drive and ram where made in 2002!
it just seems funny to me that a brand new laptop would have all these old parts in it! i thought new was supposed to be new.
how does dell get away with this? if another company say for instance Ford made a new truck but used an engine from 2000 and the interior from 2004 and used shocks from Toyota, people would just laugh at the truck and most wouldn't buy it. but for dell it seems that they can through together a bunch of parts from years ago put a newer operating system on it and package it as brand new!
and i wont even get into the tech support! will save that for my blog, don't know if i could sensor myself so good!!
never again will i be buying a dell product. sorry for any misspelled words!

OP
mack19318

mack19318

Reaction score
ok so after enough blasting them on twitter and in my blog some one from dell emailed me and will maybe fix an issue or two. i will post back what happens. for such a huge company they sure are stingy with helping for anything.
i am the guy in my family that they turn to for tech problems, and alot of times i end up on the phone with customer service. not really fun but i have a way of getting things done. and i will say that dealing with dell tech support has been the worst and longest most call transfers of any tech/customer service i have ever called!:icon_evil:
speaking to a foreigner with a lisp that doesn't speak English well is super time consuming! i fell they should help pay for the minutes they take up from my family calling plan. No other company has taken up 3 hrs of my talk time! i was surprised my D1 handled the call for so long it was getting so hot i thought for sure it was going to reboot on me!:p

OP
mack19318

mack19318

Reaction score
Another go at tech support. This time escalated to two different people, last person I couldn't understand what his title was but I asked for a compromise, (samsung, cd/dvd external burner, from dells website) and I think he swore and said hold please, 6 mins later he was back on the line asking if it could be sent to the same address my laptop with service code was sent! I really don't think anything would have been done if I had not kept up the complaining!
Now I hope this laptop lasts till I get the burner!
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums