What's the best / most popular MP3 app.

holdout

Reaction score
Yeah, the stock media player is pretty much junk. I mean am I missing something or does it not play my movies? And it obviously won't import album art.

lordegregious

Reaction score
I can't believe something like the iPhone one isn't on the marketplace. Changing from an iPhone to a Droid for music has sucked. It was nice to get the boost in space from 8GB to 16GB but the music player is lacking. I truly miss the ability to change the song from the lock screen. It makes driving and moving to the next song terrible with aux in.

I've tried Mixzing but it is slow and doesn't offer much more in actual music abilities. It adds the Apple genius feature and that's about it.

listenman20

Reaction score
movies? i thot we were talking about the music player. i have 4 movies on my card and all play great. using stock app.

jasonb

Reaction score
My favorite right now is Rock On 3. It's still in beta but it's already a very nice app. It shows the album covers on a 3D cube which you can swipe... Similar to the iPhones music player. It comes with a widget which can be displayed in 3 different sizes. It also found all of my albums cover art.

i'm installing this one right now. i am currently just using the stock player, used mixzing in the past but didn't like it all that much better than the stock on. i'll report back on RockOn3 once i play with it.

ok, initial thoughts: very neat looking player, the cube thing is awesome. the widgets look nice. it found all my album art, which mixzing couldn't do. the whole things needs work though, it's not exactly stable, but it is in beta, not a final release version just yet. it has great potential though. i look forward to updates.

Last edited:

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Still using the stocker but would like something better, just haven't found it. I've tried the ones suggested here and they're only marginally better than the stock player.

holdout

Reaction score
movies, music... its all media. I think we are all used to something like itunes that will give you a media player where you have rich features in a nice looking package.

My movies play great but it would be nice to have a player where I could choose from a list instead of just choosing from unidentified thumbnails in the gallery.

Maybe there is a better way? Any suggestions?

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I personally like Tunewiki for a few reasons.

1. Downloads album art
2. Shows lyrics to songs (although sometimes you have to sync them yourself, but they stay synched after the first time you do it.
3. The widget is a 4x1 that shows album cover and has nice controls

My only gripe with Tunewiki is that I wish the control buttons were a little larger

Scribble

Reaction score
One thing I like about the stock player is the ability to add shortcuts to your playlists into a folder on a home screen... The others don't seem to do this... Or am I missing something?

PatG

Reaction score
Give me a player that plays music, shuffles, gives me the ability to make playlists easily and only looks at certain directories. I couldn't care less about downloading album art or lyrics.

astronaut

Reaction score
Give me a player that plays music, shuffles, gives me the ability to make playlists easily and only looks at certain directories. I couldn't care less about downloading album art or lyrics.

AGREE!!!!
Please somebody, find us something that knows how to do these simple things well and then gets the H*LL out of the way. Thank you, that is all.

tyronelaw

Reaction score

this!! with an equalizer is exactly what I'm looking for

miltk

Reaction score
The stock app works well for me!

the thing I don't like about the stock app is the shuffle doesn't work great and repeats a lot of songs while never playing others.

i have many many many mp3 players, and i have yet to find a really perfect shuffle. there are inevitable repeats and not all mp3's are played(at least, not with >700 playlist). shuffle works fine for a small list,,,like an album or a few dozen songs,,,,,,but not 700.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i music to "download" mp3s :)

i just use stock player to play my music though. ...

Ridley

Reaction score
My favorite right now is Rock On 3. It's still in beta but it's already a very nice app. It shows the album covers on a 3D cube which you can swipe... Similar to the iPhones music player. It comes with a widget which can be displayed in 3 different sizes. It also found all of my albums cover art.

i'm installing this one right now. i am currently just using the stock player, used mixzing in the past but didn't like it all that much better than the stock on. i'll report back on RockOn3 once i play with it.

ok, initial thoughts: very neat looking player, the cube thing is awesome. the widgets look nice. it found all my album art, which mixzing couldn't do. the whole things needs work though, it's not exactly stable, but it is in beta, not a final release version just yet. it has great potential though. i look forward to updates.

Were you able to turn it off easily? I tried killing it in the running apps and it wouldn't stop playing, eventually it froze up and I could force close it, but that seems like a pretty basic function to have along with usable controls.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
The stock app works well for me!

the thing I don't like about the stock app is the shuffle doesn't work great and repeats a lot of songs while never playing others.

i have many many many mp3 players, and i have yet to find a really perfect shuffle. there are inevitable repeats and not all mp3's are played(at least, not with >700 playlist). shuffle works fine for a small list,,,like an album or a few dozen songs,,,,,,but not 700.
It doesn't have to be perfect. But it must be a world apart from the current shuffle. I hear the same few songs over and over again in a large playlist.