What would you do?

x25064

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to trade my Nexus for a Rezound. I love the gnex but the signal issue is a real drag for me. When I get 4g it's great, but I should be getting it in a lot more areas, a lot stronger, than I currently am. My 3g reception always suffers significantly, I haven't peaked above 1.4 mbps as where my Droid X in the same area scored 3mbps consistently.

I do enjoy ICS, but to lose it wouldn't be heartbreaking. I can't think of a single feature I use on it that really stands out from gingerbread. The browser would be the only thing I'd be hesitant to give up.

Bloat is a non-issue to me, as any phone that I own, I root immediately.

Features I dislike on the nexus are the signal issue, and the camera. Otherwise I am content. As for the rezound, I only dislike sense, but its livable.

Dunno, nonbiasedly, what would you do?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like I'd go for the rezound if I were you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to trade my Nexus for a Rezound. I love the gnex but the signal issue is a real drag for me. When I get 4g it's great, but I should be getting it in a lot more areas, a lot stronger, than I currently am. My 3g reception always suffers significantly, I haven't peaked above 1.4 mbps as where my Droid X in the same area scored 3mbps consistently.

I do enjoy ICS, but to lose it wouldn't be heartbreaking. I can't think of a single feature I use on it that really stands out from gingerbread. The browser would be the only thing I'd be hesitant to give up.

Bloat is a non-issue to me, as any phone that I own, I root immediately.

Features I dislike on the nexus are the signal issue, and the camera. Otherwise I am content. As for the rezound, I only dislike sense, but its livable.
If you are going to root anyway, then ICS should be a non-issue. You can install an ICS ROM on the Rezound.

My nonbiased answer: Reception would be a deal breaker for me personally. If the reception was unreliable, that would be a reason for me to switch. That being said, a lot of nexus owners do claim they dont have reception issues. So swapping phones to another Nexus might fix it. I would say stay with the Nexus if there were features on it you like, but it sounds like there arent. In fact, you actually dislike the camera. If there is nothing tying you to it other than ICS, I would say bail. If the only thing you dont like about the Rezound is Sense (I dont either), then my advice is to switch. Better reception and better camera and if you are going to root anyway, you can get rid of Sense if you want to as well. Go with the Rezound.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm going to have to say reception is a deal breaker. Remember, this is a phone, and a phone without reception is useless. Sure they're pretty much computer in our palms now, but if the phone part of it doesn't work, then it's a dealbreaker imo.

t35rk

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind on a trade is the street value. Rezounds can be had for as little as $350, so you'd be taking a hit. Even in the Verizon store the Rezound is less by $100. Of course if reception is important, then the Rezound would be worth it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind on a trade is the street value. Rezounds can be had for as little as $350, so you'd be taking a hit. Even in the Verizon store the Rezound is less by $100. Of course if reception is important, then the Rezound would be worth it.
Huh? Where are you seeing that? According to their website they are $200.

You can get one for $350 off contract? Tell me where (I am not being sarcastic or a smartass...I have a friend who wants one, so if you know where to get them for that price I would really like to know).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

If you're getting a Rezound now I doubt you have any plans on replacing it soon, unless you're the kind of person that has multiple devices that needs the latest ones. Resale should be fine.

You can get one for $350 off contract? Tell me where (I am not being sarcastic or a smartass...I have a friend who wants one, so if you know where to get them for that price I would really like to know).
I think he means used.

t35rk

Reaction score

Well there is a first for everything.

Locally in Salt Lake. Yes used.

www.ksl.com/?nid=677&sid=5814305&ca...e=&zip=&min_price=&max_price=&type=&x=11&y=11

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
KSL.com Mobile
Wow, nice!

Have never seen that site before...how reliable is it? I usually use eBay because you can judge the seller on his feedback to keep from getting ripped off. $350 for a Rezound is a steal though...they are still retailing for $800 right now.

Last edited:

t35rk

Reaction score
If you're getting a Rezound now I doubt you have any plans on replacing it soon, unless you're the kind of person that has multiple devices that needs the latest ones. Resale should be fine.

The point was he could buy a used Rezound for much less than he could sell his Nexus for. Not sure of accurate street values, I'm guessing the Nexus is with $100 or more if you sold high and bought low. Something to think about when considering a trade.

t35rk

Reaction score
KSL.com Mobile
Wow, nice!

Have never seen that site before...how reliable is it? I usually use eBay because you can judge the seller on his feedback to keep from getting ripped off. $350 for a Rezound is a steal though...they are still retailing for $700 right now.

It is from our local Mormon news site. It doesn't get any more reliable than that for local pick up. Thus its popularity here. Craigslist gets little traffic here because of it.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Rezounds here still retail fairly high. According to the owner it is only two weeks old, so pretty much brand new.

I want to love the nexus, but hardware for hardware it doesn't wow me. If gs2's worked on Verizon's cdma/Ltd network I would have parted ways with this phone a long time ago.

The screen is gorgeous however, but I tend to agree with the general consensus, reception is a killer. Unless I am in a densely populated commercial area I don't get much in the way of 4g. When I do get it, I have recorded speeds as high as 37mbps. Its incredible, but also extremely inconsistant.

t35rk

Reaction score
Rezounds here still retail fairly high. According to the owner it is only two weeks old, so pretty much brand new.

I want to love the nexus, but hardware for hardware it doesn't wow me. If gs2's worked on Verizon's cdma/Ltd network I would have parted ways with this phone a long time ago.

The screen is gorgeous however, but I tend to agree with the general consensus, reception is a killer. Unless I am in a densely populated commercial area I don't get much in the way of 4g. When I do get it, I have recorded speeds as high as 37mbps. Its incredible, but also extremely inconsistant.

Do it then, and make sure you get those ear buds.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think I wouldn't do this, and that is not to say the Rezound isn't a more capable for you, because it is imo. It has more to do with the Nexus being a valuable asset and you being in a fringe 4G area. I would sell the Nexus outright for $500 and buy $100 3g phone, like an Incredible 2. Or a $175 Tbolt. I'd pocket the 3 or 4 bills. Use that for a future 4G used phone purchase. Keep in mind, if you trade for that Rezound, it does not have a warranty. So you are trading a device that gives you a warranty for one that does not. You're giving up a lot in the Nexus. I dint think you're getting enough in return with the Rezound.

Buying a $500 phone is one thing, but a $500 off contract USED phone is another. I don't have the stomach for that.

Last edited:
OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
The way I look at it, a phone is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I doubt anyone would pay $500 for this phone, especially given the signal issue.

Like I said, I don't min the phone at all but its worth having consistent signal for me.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I would not pay retail for ANY high end Android phone I have seen so far. If I could not get them on contract I would end up buying a cheaper phone.