What to look for when buying used?

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Up to now I've always gotten a new phone from the carrier in exchange for signing a new 2 year contract. As I don't want to get rid of unlimited data I am now looking at getting a used S4 to replace my Rezound.

I have been watching Swappa and see that there is apparently some level of protection as the seller has to input a clean ESN into the system in order to sell. I do not plan on buying an unlocked phone either. is there anything else I should watch for when looking at a listing? I need to make sure the phone will run on VZW 4G LTE.

Also, when a new model comes out, such as the S5, what generally happens with the price of the one generation old phones? In the last month I've watched the prices drop a fair amount. they are now hovering around $310-$340 for a good condition used one with some going lower and some higher. I'm hoping to grab a phone in about a month or less. Wondering if I could expect prices to continue to fall into the mid to high $200s?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just look in the verizon section on swappa (ive used it multiple times, much less risky than ebay). you can also look at avg selling price on there.

seller has to list all damage, and all phones on there ahve to be in working condition. just read whats listed knowing you can open a dispute if its not as listed (can do this on ebay, but much more gray area i believe)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You may see high $200's. I don't think you will see them for much less.

chadwick108

Reaction score
Upgrade

It is not impossible to upgrade without losing your unlimited on the Big Red. You just have to find someone who will do it. Swappa is definately the place to look if buying used. I am considering selling my VZW sch-i545 for a developer device even if i have to use my razr maxx for a little while. I have always been leary of buying used smartphone myself espically since touch screen smartphones. I would not buy anything that had not been taken care of and consider buying something that lived in a good case like a otterbox or something similar. Some will tell you it has never been dropped but honestly unless they are your best friend...you just don't know.

Just curious what a SCH-i545 rooted in spigen case would be worth to you without having to upgrade through carrier.

hope this helps!!

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I would look for a non-cracked screen...

sent from my hot Note 3

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
All things being equal, a clean ESN is a major issue, then comes condition.
If you find a serviceable device, get pictures, especially with it 'on'. Always ask about what's loaded on it, version of OS and are there any problems with the phone that could cause shut downs, restarts or worse.
If you are buying, you have the right to inquire as to the device's history.Any seller worth his salt will be honest and tell you all about what he/she is selling, and possibly offer a refund within XX days of purchase, provided that what is being returned is complete and 'as-sold'.

Cracks are a big deal, and replacing the screens can be costly and time consuming...BIG price cuts for such damage.
Case dents and scuffs are of little concern and can be buffed out with the right application of rubbing compound.
Are the ports corroded, if there is this sort of damage externally, I suggest finding another device. Corrosion left unchecked eats away the metal, and weakens the contact pins, which can snap off when plugging in external devices and chargers.

As with any sale or purchase, your mileage may vary....YMMV.
Buyer beware...but not paranoid!

dan j

Reaction score
We just bought our 2nd S4. One through eBay and one through Swappa. After doing both I think Swappa does a better job of comforting you before the sale but then they have you use PayPal (eBay owned).
And, if there's a problem you're going through PayPal (eBay) to get your money back - so why not just buy from eBay?

I'd recommend asking for lots of pictures, a detailed description and the ESN (especially if you're buying through eBay).

jhom

Reaction score
If you are not intimidated by Craigslist, then you might give it a try. I bought 2 S4 on Craigslist in October. They were in pristine conditions. For each deal, I got the esn to check before meeting. I had pictures sent to me and I asked multiple questions before the meet. At the meet, I took my time checking out the phones. If the seller has the box and original accessories and paperwork and the phone has a case and screen protector, I take it as a good sign that it has been treated well. By using Craigslist, I get a hands on with the phone before buying. Also, prices are often lower than Swappa. In fact, I'm looking for another S4 on Craigslist right now. YMMV.