Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well I have been using my ASUS t700 a lot this week and realize I really need a new tablet. Still pretty torn on what to get. Looking at either a note 8, note pro 10", or something in the nexus line. I really want the functionality of the S Pen so I am leaning that way.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bought a Tab 1 10.1 the week it was released back in 2011, fathers day gift to myself, and it'll be 4 years old next week. Still works great, still awesome battery life and it's now my daughter's daily driver.
I got a Note8 back in 2013 and it's my daily driver now. Great screen, good battery life and it's the perfect tweener between a 7" for jacket pocket friendliness and mammoth fonts of a 10"+ big brother. The s pen on it is how I ended up switching to my Note2 which led to this Note4.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Bought a Tab 1 10.1 the week it was released back in 2011, fathers day gift to myself, and it'll be 4 years old next week. Still works great, still awesome battery life and it's now my daughter's daily driver.
I got a Note8 back in 2013 and it's my daily driver now. Great screen, good battery life and it's the perfect tweener between a 7" for jacket pocket friendliness and mammoth fonts of a 10"+ big brother. The s pen on it is how I ended up switching to my Note2 which led to this Note4.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
My ASUS is a 10" and is OK for anything that doesn't require typing lol. I am really leaning towards the Note 8. I see I can buy a used one on Amazon for about $130. Which for me is a good price as if for some reason I don't like I won't be crushed if it just sits on my desk like the Asus did for almost a year.

What is the battery life like between the 10.1 and the 8? How decent are the cameras? If I use it for work I'll need it to take decent pictures.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Do the Samsung 10's have a micro USB now? They didn't back when I got my original and the Nexus 10 doesn't and needs to be constantly powered or it dies in a couple hours... Need to start looking I guess... I do love the 10 inch though, my Nexus 7 is too small.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My ASUS is a 10" and is OK for anything that doesn't require typing lol. I am really leaning towards the Note 8. I see I can buy a used one on Amazon for about $130. Which for me is a good price as if for some reason I don't like I won't be crushed if it just sits on my desk like the Asus did for almost a year.

What is the battery life like between the 10.1 and the 8? How decent are the cameras? If I use it for work I'll need it to take decent pictures.

The Tab camera is ok but I just can't fathom holding an 11x15 picture frame looking thing up and getting a photo when I've got a Kindle sized phone nearby.
The Note8 takes a surprisingly good photo. I don't use its camera much either because I've got it in a Roocase Executive which covers the lens. It's a 2 piece case, an inner leather sleeve Velcrod to a padded leather outer. I just pull the inner out to take photos, but again my phone is usually nearby.

Battery life for both is about the same, Tab being better when it was new by about 2 hours of screen time. The Tab easily got 9 hours of on screen time for about 3 years but my daughter keeps letting it drain fully and it's starting to show. Both get about 7+ hours if I don't use the GPS. I never turn Wi-Fi off and both are on auto bright.
$130 is a nice price. The Note8 is faster (real life usage) than my Note2 and about as snappy as the Note4 but not as snappy as a G2

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
The Tab camera is ok but I just can't fathom holding an 11x15 picture frame looking thing up and getting a photo when I've got a Kindle sized phone nearby.
The Note8 takes a surprisingly good photo. I don't use its camera much either because I've got it in a Roocase Executive which covers the lens. It's a 2 piece case, an inner leather sleeve Velcrod to a padded leather outer. I just pull the inner out to take photos, but again my phone is usually nearby.

Battery life for both is about the same, Tab being better when it was new by about 2 hours of screen time. The Tab easily got 9 hours of on screen time for about 3 years but my daughter keeps letting it drain fully and it's starting to show. Both get about 7+ hours if I don't use the GPS. I never turn Wi-Fi off and both are on auto bright.
$130 is a nice price. The Note8 is faster (real life usage) than my Note2 and about as snappy as the Note4 but not as snappy as a G2

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Note 8. I've wanted it for a while and think I will enjoy it more then the Asus I have now. Thanks!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Note 8. I've wanted it for a while and think I will enjoy it more then the Asus I have now. Thanks!

I don't miss not using my 10.1 tablet a bit. 8" seems to be a sweet spot for watching video while having portability in just about any situation. When naked it fits in my cargo shorts pocket making carrying it and everything a younger child wants one to carry at the same time. The S Pen adds a whole other dimension to being artistic also.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4