What to do? wet broken power button

BeefGj

Reaction score
Hi there,
Can I get some advice? I'm new here and to android.
- Had a little problem where i dropped it
- Now the power button doesn't work
- Also the wetness indicator is red
- Battery is a real pain to pull, so tight... (is that just mine?)
- I have insurance
- and have been lying low, it works fine (just can't put it back in my pocket until screen goes off by itself) Guess I felt like I would break it all the way soon, with my luck, also I think there's a $50 deductible on the insurance, right? didn't want to listen to wife on that expense...
- but I want to get free wifi tethering
- so that means I need to root my phone

So, what do you think? I've read other posts where power button is not enuf to use insurance for new device. True (?) Also guessing I should stay away from rooting, since they won't like to see that if I can return it.

Samurai26

Reaction score
if u have insurance u should be able to get a new phone if im not mistaken

Technoman

Reaction score
Hi there,
Can I get some advice? I'm new here and to android.
- Had a little problem where i dropped it
- Now the power button doesn't work
- Also the wetness indicator is red
- Battery is a real pain to pull, so tight... (is that just mine?)
- I have insurance
- and have been lying low, it works fine (just can't put it back in my pocket until screen goes off by itself) Guess I felt like I would break it all the way soon, with my luck, also I think there's a $50 deductible on the insurance, right? didn't want to listen to wife on that expense...
- but I want to get free wifi tethering
- so that means I need to root my phone

So, what do you think? I've read other posts where power button is not enuf to use insurance for new device. True (?) Also guessing I should stay away from rooting, since they won't like to see that if I can return it.

Smartphones are $80 deductible I believe from what I have seen posted on other threads.

OP
B

BeefGj

Reaction score
Called VZW support, they're sending a new phone. Maybe they don't care about the wetness indicator as much anymore? Yay! Don't have to spend the insurance deductible! Also learned on my DroidX that the battery is so tight, i have been "prying" it out whenever I needed a reboot. But I highly suggest just slapping it up against your hand as a better way to get the battery out.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
They do care about the wetness indicator. When I got a replacement for my droid, the guy asked me about that when he was looking for reasons as to why it wouldn't work. They don't tell you over the phone, but when you send back your current Droid and they check it out, if they find out the damage was your fault, they can charge you the full price of the phone ($599).

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I would never assume a huge corporation no longer cares about the wetness indicators on their $600 phones. If anything, they have gotten better at tweaking the process to ensure they minimize their losses; in this example, Verizon waits til they receive your phone before retroactively charging you for it. Win/win.

Lloyd76Mongol

Reaction score
If you have insurance it doesnt matter if the moisture indicator says its been wet. The wetness indicator only comes into in a warranty situation.

OP
B

BeefGj

Reaction score
I will report back to let all know. If they do charge for it, the tech was sure misleading. I'm sure that happens too...