Wet phone!?!? T_t

freefly716

Reaction score
This was my first phone ever, and i'm really scared i might lose it, meaning my parents would have gone through the financial burden for nothing...:(
anyhow, its the 32nd or so day after i got my phone, and i went into the pool with it. Now, before y'all freak, it was a "lake" persay, that went up to my pocket (I immediately took my phone out, it wasnt really wet), and it got the bottom corner, like, where there are the buttons and it says verizon, wet. There was a teensy, barely visible thing of evaporated water on the complete bottom part of my screen, but thats gone now. I looked in the back and removed the sd card and the battery, and got the little bit of water off. Now its in front of me and I havent turned it on yet, and i'm scared to death it might short....:0

WHAT TO DO
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES IT WILL WORK
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES IF I BEG AND THE PHONE IS BROKEN THE VERIZON GUYS WILL LET ME CHANGE
AHHHHHHH

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would make sure it is completely dry, like use a blow dryer on it for a while. I'm sure you have insurance anyway to cover it in case it does short out, but try the blow dryer or leave it off for 24 hours.

OP
F

freefly716

Reaction score
i dont have insurance.....my dad didnt get it [mod delete]

Please watch the swearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
wrap the phone and battery in toilet paper or kleenex and put it in a bowl of dry rice. rice absorbs moisture and tomorrow it should be working fine. make sure you wrap it in paper though so dust from rice doesn't get inside the phone.

lowboy

Reaction score

Your dad bought you a expensive phone and you get it wet, then you turn around and call him a A...Hole.
Did I miss something here?

OP
F

freefly716

Reaction score
the battery thing that is white with red x'es now:

has perfectly defined x'es, no blurring at all, however, it is generally very light pink, with a slightly heavier pink at the bottom and the total top is more or less white.

When i smack the phone against my hand, water used to come out when i did it. not much, just a little bit through the holes in the solid buttons (home, etc). Now, no water at all.

EDIT: (phone still not on)
while my screen shows no water problems, when i look at the camera its not foggy at all on the glass with one very small thing that i assume is a solid water droplet i guess, but the gray ring around the little purple circle in the center is dewy i guess...
and a little water just was lying under my sd card which i promptly cleaned. phone totally apart (without like taking it actually apart)

OP
F

freefly716

Reaction score

Your dad bought you a expensive phone and you get it wet, then you turn around and call him a A...Hole.
Did I miss something here?

haha sorry...i'm very frustrated. part of the reason i'm freaking out is because i know that its expensive, and he got it for my birthday...

OP
F

freefly716

Reaction score
in the sd card holder there is still water, though very little.

tobytl

Reaction score
As has been said, if you are super worried about it, DON'T turn it on for at least 24 hours. You're actually fairly safe, assuming it didn't start smoking or you could smell burnt plastic our anything. Even if it shut itself off, most devices do that to protect themselves. Leave the battery out, keep the phone dry, the rice/toilet paper thing helps.

I've dropped several phones in pools across the country, haven't lost one yet. Just be patient.

Kentech0023

Reaction score
I say you have pretty good chances of the phone working.

My Mom dropped her Motorola (not the X) into a pot of water then got it out and continued to text and it still worked.

Of course I grabbed it and took the battery out and put it in rice for 2 days in a cool dry location just to be safe.

Also I honestly don't know your situation but insurance is always a good idea especially with an expensive phone like the Droid X.

Best of Luck,
Kenneth

EDIT- Do not turn it on. Even though it may be tempting to check and see if it works you risk shorting out and permanently damaging the phone.

Last edited:
OP
F

freefly716

Reaction score
As has been said, if you are super worried about it, DON'T turn it on for at least 24 hours. You're actually fairly safe, assuming it didn't start smoking or you could smell burnt plastic our anything. Even if it shut itself off, most devices do that to protect themselves. Leave the battery out, keep the phone dry, the rice/toilet paper thing helps.

I've dropped several phones in pools across the country, haven't lost one yet. Just be patient.

So you don't think my phone will die from this slight encounter with brackish water while it was in my pocket!? HAHA YAY YAY YAY
my screen is holding water by the looks of it, though barely
if ====> ________ is my screen, then water is:
| |
| |
| |
| |
slightevap>L_______|<<<<absolute edge on the bottom left half, slight evap.
here ^^^^^
On the absolute border of the screen and the bottom, 4-5 miniscule bubbles

So, more or less on the absolute bottom around the total edges there is evaporation, though not much. i asume this is very bad news, yes? and

Kentech0023

Reaction score

So you don't think my phone will die from this slight encounter with brackish water while it was in my pocket!? HAHA YAY YAY YAY
my screen is holding water by the looks of it, though barely
if ====> ________ is my screen, then water is:
| |
| |
| |
| |
slightevap>L_______|<<<<absolute edge on the bottom left half, slight evap.
here ^^^^^
On the absolute border of the screen and the bottom, 4-5 miniscule bubbles

So, more or less on the absolute bottom around the total edges there is evaporation, though not much. i asume this is very bad news, yes? and

As long as you don't turn it on and let it sit in a cool dry place (maybe in an air conditioned room) you should be fine. You can also try the rice trick.

--Kenneth

OP
F

freefly716

Reaction score
kenneth i sent you a message, when you have a chance could you please reply back?
and i'm looking at the worst, which looks unlikely at the moment, if my phone really somehow dies from that little water exposure, then would buying a new phone just be all i need to do, or is there any other expense for my father?

Kentech0023

Reaction score
kenneth i sent you a message, when you have a chance could you please reply back?
and i'm looking at the worst, which looks unlikely at the moment, if my phone really somehow dies from that little water exposure, then would buying a new phone just be all i need to do, or is there any other expense for my father?

I replied to your PM.

Also if it turns out your phone is damaged and requires repair. I would see how much it is to repair the phone because to buy it without an upgrade is $600. Also I believe there is a $20 activation fee for new phones.

--Kenneth