What Features do you want to See implemented in Upcoming Android Updates?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A lot of little things:

1) Ability to change brightness without having to go through Settings. Apps like locale do this, but some code prevents changes from taking effect until phone sleeps and then back on.

2) I think some apps now do this, but I would like the screen to come on for 5-10 minutes if you get an email, text, etc.. Probably a security issue.

3) Along the lines of the above, I would like a display setting that uses the accelerometer to wake (unlocked!). So if I pick up my phone off the desk, it is "aware" and wakes itself without having to hit the button.

4) Push exchange (works for stock corp email, not K9 because of some unlocked API or something).

5) Quick double-click camera button to place a call or end a call.

6) Speech-to-text button added to Swype (probably Swype issue, not Android).

7) Mobile browser that fits websites to landscape - seems to default to portrait mode and wastes the extra width in landscape.

8) More ram! OK, can't do that so maybe virtual ram.

9) Universal sync/auto-refresh controls that apps can default to. Maybe have 3 levels or so with multiple timing settings (i.e. refresh all my new apps on level 2 every hour).

10) Ability to customize task bar, dropping shortcuts and "widgets" to it (think there's an app out there where you can add the phone button).

lairam

Reaction score
activex feature

I have been looking everywhere includng on search feature and unable to get past activex for video camera to upload in my ivp camera program. Any ideas or just continue to wait???,thanks Maria

korp

Reaction score
Group contacts on the phone itself. I like to be able to create contact groups so I can message them all or once. We can make them on a computer but I can't see a way to bring them over into the stock contact system.

jgumphress

Reaction score
I would like to see the video fill the screen automatically and not show everything in letterbox. I use RealPlayer just for that purpose only but YouTube still does not show in full screen.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Group contacts on the phone itself. I like to be able to create contact groups so I can message them all or once. We can make them on a computer but I can't see a way to bring them over into the stock contact system.

I know you're talking about the stock messaging app, but just an FYI: I use ChompSMS, and your google contact groups show up there and allows you to message the whole group.

sk8sn0surf

Reaction score
I would like to see the ability to have one input method for portrait (Shape Writer or Swype) and another for landscape mode (standard Android)

Sounds like an amazing idea to me.Ive never really liked swype i just use Htc or Standard android keyboard.
I would like to be able to use Shape Writer only on the small keyboard. I usually would only use it for short messages.

This would be a great feature. Check out this thread on the android website and star it to show your interest.

Issue 7037 - android - Different virtual keyboards for landscape and portrait orientations - Project Hosting on Google Code

EgooEspada

Reaction score
1) Better Stock Music App (Better Skinned, More widgets)
2) Change fonts
3) Change App Drawer Order (Most Used, Alphabetical, Latest Downloaded, etc.)
4) USB On-The-Go (lets you connect USB peripherals, like other phones, flash drives, etc. What the N8 has)

Other than that, all is great with Android. :)

djh074

Reaction score
i would to see a better cut/copy/paste functionality. should be built into OS so u can use it on any app. like be a able to copy from browser, news apps, etc.

Mohawk3

Reaction score
i would to see a better cut/copy/paste functionality. should be built into OS so u can use it on any app. like be a able to copy from browser, news apps, etc.

I would also like a better cut and paste that in universal.

The thing I would like to see is the ability to create and/or edit labels in the gmail application. This is still something I have to get to the computer for and don't understand why this wasn't included on a google phone.

schammy

Reaction score
1) Ability to change brightness without having to go through Settings. Apps like locale do this, but some code prevents changes from taking effect until phone sleeps and then back on.

You have tried the built in Power Control widget, right? It's very handy for toggling brightness, as well as all the radios (except 3G)

cpinto

Reaction score
There has been alot of Features that have been implemented and Android has Progressed at an AMAZING speed.But what are some things you want to see Implemented in Android that you feel have been left out?

Make the phone mic more sensitive so I can actually talk on the phone. I would like the lighted keys to be on any time the screen is on.

Also, a single answer button or easier slider should be an option if I want it.

For the most part, I'm pretty happy with it.

CrusoeCale

Reaction score
I don't know about all of you, but I think having Google Wave on it would be pretty darn sweet.

joker402

Reaction score
with 2.2 I use the pin unlock system but I first have to swipe right then enter my pin. Id like to be able to just hit the wake button and enter pin not swipe then pin.