What are the TB's "problems"?

jeffm1000

Reaction score
I bought the Thunderbolt expecting to have issues to work around, it's part of the hobby. Stop your crying. If you're not savvy enough to work on the phone yourself, get a different one. Someone nailed it a couple posts back......go get an iPhone since they fix issues quickly.....that ought to be pretty fun.

Last edited:

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
God am I ever tired of people telling us to root and load a custom ROM to fix problems. That should not be a requirement at all in order to get it to work. You shouldn't have to do that. Period. The fact that you basically have to right now in order for the phone to work properly just shows how f'd up this device was when it was initially released. And waiting 2 months+ to get a fix for a problem that was introduced by a HTC/Verizon pushed update is just sickening.

Yeah, this phone has problems, way more problems than a phone should. The battery life isn't great at all, and unless you have an extended battery or void your warranty and root, it will downright suck in most situations. GPS issues have plagues many of these devices, and unless you research a fix on your own, it will likely not work on your device. Reboots are a huge issue for many people who have not rooted. Not cool that this has not been addressed. Oh, and Netflix and Skype? We were promised those, and they have still yet to be officially released. You can get leaks of prototypes that do work, but that shouldn't be needed on a device where they were promised to be preloaded and have immediate serviceability. Oh, and if you want to double check your usage... Well, don't bother cause you can't. My Verizon is STILL not working on this device, even though it is preloaded on every device. Awesome, isn't it.

Here, here!

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
d.

Do you buy a sports car and never touch it? No, you buy gears, exhaust, supercharger, upgrade brakes, heads, cams, etc.

So why not do that to your phone? You expect a company to release perfection, yet you won't do anything to get perfection? The tweaking and installation of roms allows you to run the phone as you see fit, not how VZW wants you to. I'm not happy having a company tell me how I should be using something I bought.

I have a Corvette Z06. It's all stock. It doesnt need mods because it's a Corvette Z06. Sure I could thrown on intake, headers, exahust, new cam, dyno tune, etc.. but the car works pretty good out of the box.

That's how it should be. The Thunderbolt should work great out of the box. Any mod potential on top of that should be gravy. In no way should modding the phone be required to acheive acceptable performance.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I bought the Thunderbolt expecting to have issues to work around, it's part of the hobby. Stop your crying. If you're not savvy enough to work on the phone yourself, get a different one. Someone nailed it a couple posts back......go get an iPhone since they fix issues quickly.....that ought to be pretty fun.

Hobby? It's a cell phone.

y0manda

Reaction score

Yeah my hobby is playing with my cell phone...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jeffm1000

Reaction score
Yea, ya know, hobby? A regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time.

I have several, my phone, my car, firearms etc.

If you aren't here for pleaseure and it's taking up more than your leisure time, get a flip phone and a PDA. You'll save money too.

Advanced technology is not for everyone.

Beardface

Reaction score
So smartphone are only for cell hobbyists? Ridiculous lol
LOL no kidding!

Pay top dollar to have to tweak everything yourself because its a "hobby phone", and anyone who doesn't realize that is a software illiterate fool...

This analogy just doesn't work at all. I like how he completely ignored my comparisons earlier. You don't buy a top dollar device, whether it be a car or a phone, and expect to have to get under the hood just to make it work properly. It should work properly out of the box/lot, and if you want to improve upon it later by going under the hood/rooting, more power to you.

But if you're cruising down the highway and the engine routinely shuts off, and the dealer won't do anything to fix it other than replace your car with another proven lemon they claim is fixed, you'd be a bit angry as well, no? Regardless of the fact you bought a 'hobby car', as this guy so elegantly put it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i dont have a tb, but i saw this in the latest topics on tapatalk. are ppl seriously suggesting that these phones are hobby phones and that tweaking and applying hacks to make them work comes with owning a smartphone? seriously? and that if you dont know how to fix it yourself, you should "stop whining and get an iPhone"?? LOL...really? That's probably the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. is there anything that you would buy, that you would be ok with having to fix yourself cuz it didn't work when you bought it? but its ok for your phone to not work when you buy it? really??

and iPhone users are sheep??? Really???

UNC

Reaction score
LOL no kidding!

Pay top dollar to have to tweak everything yourself because its a "hobby phone", and anyone who doesn't realize that is a software illiterate fool...

This analogy just doesn't work at all. I like how he completely ignored my comparisons earlier. You don't buy a top dollar device, whether it be a car or a phone, and expect to have to get under the hood just to make it work properly. It should work properly out of the box/lot, and if you want to improve upon it later by going under the hood/rooting, more power to you.

But if you're cruising down the highway and the engine routinely shuts off, and the dealer won't do anything to fix it other than replace your car with another proven lemon they claim is fixed, you'd be a bit angry as well, no? Regardless of the fact you bought a 'hobby car', as this guy so elegantly put it.

+1000... TB is a lemon.

I actually owned one and returned it, its fast and all that, but the battery life is beyond poor. When I say beyond poor I mean inexcusable. Verizon should offer $30 upgrades for anyone who wants to take it.

I will never buy an HTC product because of how poor of a device the TB is.

Beardface

Reaction score
LOL no kidding!

+1000... TB is a lemon.

I actually owned one and returned it, its fast and all that, but the battery life is beyond poor. When I say beyond poor I mean inexcusable. Verizon should offer $30 upgrades for anyone who wants to take it.

I will never buy an HTC product because of how poor of a device the TB is.
Out of the box, its ridiculously bad for the amount of money it costs. It simply doesn't deliver on most of its selling points outside of a fast 4G signal. It just doesn't.

However, if you do some of the stuff yourself, you can get it to work pretty darn well, even stock. Yes, I deal with the occasional reboot, but the thing is a beast otherwise. My main concern, and my main beef with this product, is that it took me hours of research and fidgeting with this phone to get it to the point it should have been out of the box, and in order for it to last an entire day without needing to charge, I needed to drop another $50 on an extended battery. WTF... we didn't pay top dollar on this device (more than any other phone on the market at the time, including the iPhone) and lock ourselves into binding 2 year agreements with no early upgrade to have to figure out backdoor ways to get it to work properly. That's just awful.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
11.png