What am I missing?

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Hi strangers, hope y'all are doing okay and staying healthy.
Just got a new Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle. Will connect to Wear OS on my husband's phone, but not mine (we both have Moto Z4). I've cleared data, settings, uninstalled on my phone, restarted, reset watch -- all multiple times with no success. On my phone, I'm stuck at "Getting your watch details" about half way through. Been working on this one watch connecting to MY phone for several hours and can't figure it out. I'm coming to y'all since you seem to always be a great help.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204-152732.png
    Screenshot_20201204-152732.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 123
OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Hi strangers, hope y'all are doing okay and staying healthy.
Just got a new Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle. Will connect to Wear OS on my husband's phone, but not mine (we both have Moto Z4). I've cleared data, settings, uninstalled on my phone, restarted, reset watch -- all multiple times with no success. On my phone, I'm stuck at "Getting your watch details" about half way through. Been working on this one watch connecting to MY phone for several hours and can't figure it out. I'm coming to y'all since you seem to always be a great help.
Thanks!
Okay, I'm in another location on Wear that I've been before, with no success. I'm sitting in the Wear app and it's saying it's connected, but it's not showing me the phone on the phone's screen. It can't be the watch, it worked seamlessly on my husband's phone, it's got to be some silly setting on my phone somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I'm down to having to do a FDR on my phone and that seems extreme for this. BTW, the watch still says "Continue set up on phone"

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's that issue we discussed a while back, where Wear OS on the watch and the phone "looked like" they initially connected, but really didn't. I have been stuck there a few times. The only thing that has ever worked for me is unpair > reset > uninstall Wear OS on phone > reboot phone > re-install Wear OS > and start over. It was a giant pita every time it happened to me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yeah, I went back and reread what was here from before hoping there was a solution, but there really isn't LOL. I have uninstalled, rebooted, reset, etc for the last six hours. I can't make it work. Like I said earlier, it works perfectly through my husband's phone. I'd just trade phones with him, but I got him a watch too LOL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Try Clearing Wear OS data on your phone before uninstall the app next time. I had an issue with my wife's phone once where it kept pulling in "old" Wear OS data linked to a previous phone.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yeah, I've tried that a few times. I'm down to trying everything in different sequences to see if I can get something to work. Seems when I can get wear to go through, it's not connected to the watch. If I can get it to show it's connected, the watch still says that I need to complete setup on my phone (no prompts for anything on the phone). If I disconnect and forget Bluetooth on my phone, I have to do a FDR on the watch in order to get back into pairing mode. I've been in a horrible stupidity loop. Cracked a beer and ready to continue this battle until I figure it out LOL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's the exact same loop I was in a while back. Some combination of those steps worked eventually. And then after that mess....the next time was smooth and painless. It's like some piece of old data is stuck somewhere and Wear OS setup can't get past that point.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yeah, I think you're exactly right. I just cleared everything, uninstalled wear again, cleaned the cache on my phone, "forgot" the watch on Bluetooth, now restarting while my watch is doing another FDR.
What the heck, it's not like I can go out on a Friday night, these days, anyway.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yeah, I think you're exactly right. I just cleared everything, uninstalled wear again, cleaned the cache on my phone, "forgot" the watch on Bluetooth, now restarting while my watch is doing another FDR.
What the heck, it's not like I can go out on a Friday night, these days, anyway.
Oh, yes, I cleared cache and other stuff on the Wear app before uninstalling -- again.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Three other things I thought of: 1) try the whole setup process not connected to WiFi. 2) Make sure Bluetooth Scanning is turned off in Location Settings. 3) I can't remember if the watch asks to connect to WiFi before the point you are stuck, but if so don't do it, skip connecting the watch to WiFi and do that after everything is setup.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Three other things I thought of: 1) try the whole setup process not connected to WiFi. 2) Make sure Bluetooth Scanning is turned off in Location Settings. 3) I can't remember if the watch asks to connect to WiFi before the point you are stuck, but if so don't do it, skip connecting the watch to WiFi and do that after everything is setup.

Yeah, I'm good on all that, thank you, though...
After multiple starts, and checking, the watch said it needed an update. I couldn't get it to update on my phone without Wear set up, so reinstalled on husband's phone and updated it this morning. Did a FDR and I'm back to being stuck at the same place in Wear on my phone. Holy Hannah, this has me stumped.
The only thing I can think of, at this point, is to do a FDR on my phone. Something is preventing wear to complete the task of setting up with the watch.
One thing I haven't tried, now that I think of it, is reinstalling my old watch and see what happens. I think I'll charge it up and see where that takes me.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Old watch connected back fine. Husband's watch won't connect to my Wear. I think I'm going to have to do a FDR on my phone. Yuck.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that. But it does sound like you have narrowed the problem to your phone.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I'm betting I changed some obscure setting while trouble shooting something else, or being too clever for my own good, and messed up something within the phone settings.
Wearing my old watch. I'll deal with it later and will report back with how it worked out.
Thanks for being here, Sajo. You're always a huge help!