Am I asking for the impossible? Need your expertise.

Discussion in 'Watches (Android Wear, Tizen/Samsung, etc)' started by Jim 777, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,531
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    You'd think they'd take that into account, but you'd think a lot of things...

Sent from my Pixel XL

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,531
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I think your trouble is contagious.

The wife and I took the dog and baby for a walk yesterday. I turned my watch on and strapped it to my wrist before we left. Didn't get 2 blocks from our house and I looked down to see that my watch had turned itself off. No big deal. I figure the baby somehow accidentally did it when I was holding him before we got him loaded in the stroller.

Turned the watch back on (love having the side button and not having to put it on the charger to turn it on like the OG G Watch). I noticed it was having an issue connecting, but figured it was just taking its time.

Looked down a bit later and it's off again. Turned it back on, toggled BT on my phone, checked the AW app, toggled airplane mode on the watch, restarted the watch.

Still wouldn't connect and turned itself off again.

Finally, I restarted my phone (it had been acting weird over the weekend anyway and was probably overdue for a restart). In the process, I toggled airplane mode on the watch again. After the phone rebooted, I turned BT back on and it suddenly connected.

I noticed on Saturday that the phone wasn't asking for my fingerprint or PIN when I was not connected to any trusted device and was well out of my trusted location at my home. Fingerprint wasn't even an option in my lock screen settings. Very weird, but that seems to have been fixed with the reboot as well. Not altogether happy that my security went away like that though and should've restarted it sooner, but I was in the middle of a brake job from hell when I noticed it and then spent most of Sunday relaxing until our walk and didn't leave the house.

3. legalkill

legalkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force
    So for "The Threesome", the bottom button is by default set to activate eco mode. Which is airplane mode. This will kill the bt to the watch and the phone will pickup the car automatically for phone audio. My music connection always connects to the car with the watch active. You press a button on the watch again and you turn off airplane mode to connect the watch back for regular use (less phone calls). Usually takes 20 seconds or so for my Honda to connect automatically when the car was already on and the watch fully connect to the watch. Is instantaneous if you airplane mode the watch before the car radio turns on.

"You make the call", if you answer on the watch, and watch is connected as phone audio it will try to launch the call on the phone which takes a second. If you answer on the phone the phone owns the call, no connection to the watch. You can always toggle bluetooth in the call options on the phone, too (which is not instantaneous). I am not sure if I tried to answer a call when the phone is connected to the car by using the watch. I assume that it would defer to the car.

"The fat Lady Sings" my Gen 1 Moto 360 would register driving as alot of walking. Probably cause I drive a stick and the constant wrist movement or the vibration of the road through the wheel. The zenwatch 3 seems alot more sensitive than the Moto 360 or the Fitbit Blaze for example. I get more steps than usual and it shows more steps than my wife's Blaze if we had a similar day on the weekend. This is probably just the sensitivity of the watch itself coupled with the sensitivity of step tracking on watches in general. I like to think I walked my 5000 steps but i who knows.

I have never really thought the wifi setting all that great. Even on the moto 360, i walk around the office and by the time the watch knows it was not on bt, i was back before wifi had a chance to kick in. Also because I have unlimited data, i never really had wifi on on my phone so. The transition from BT to wifi to BT again is not all that smooth.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Ha! I don't know why I didn't think of the eco mode when entering the car. I'm pretty sure that stuff still comes across, but I'm driving and the phone is usually in the holder where I see it anyway.

When it's "acting up" I was definitely answering on the phone, and after saying Hello, maybe twice, then hesitating to see if there's a person on the other enbd, then I go to the toggle switch on the phone and see it's going to watch. And ya, when the BT is connected to car, I answer and converse through car audio.