Welcome to the Droid Ultra Forums!

recDNA

Reaction score
So ignore any objective scientific measure of performance? I prefer the quad core processor or soon to come octocore processor to the x dual processor. The only way to subjectively compare a gs4 to an x would be a google version of both with no bloat. Good luck getting that from moto.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's a great article, highlights some of what I'm trying to explain...Especially the part about how Motorola is redefining the way smartphones are constructed, by adding several processors to handle diffrent functions...There is a fast dual core for computing, another processor for language input and additional processor beyond those 2 for gestures, not to mention a dedicated graphics processor...

I don't really think it makes sense to compare any smartphone specs to he Moto X device because they are not even setup the same way, the real test would be performance, not just a simple benchmark test, but actually using the features, how well does the hands free capabililty work, how well do gestures work, how well does it play games and surf the web, does the battery run down at a slower rate than other devices performing similar tasks, etc etc

Good find on the article Sajokaz

Thanks. I can't take credit for the find though. have to give the credit to a member on the Moto Owners forum. He shared the article this morning and I thought it was interesting and echoed what you were saying.

indee2025

Reaction score
So ignore any objective scientific measure of performance? I prefer the quad core processor or soon to come octocore processor to the x dual processor. The only way to subjectively compare a gs4 to an x would be a google version of both with no bloat. Good luck getting that from moto.

Well supposedly the Moto X & Droid Ultra will not have the equivalent to touchwiz....I would normally vote in favor of a quad core over a dual core as well, except this is not a dual core chip in any environment like we've seen in the past, this is also not the same dual core that was put in devices last year...this is an entirely new way of managing tasks in a smartphone...I've heard over and over again that smartphones on average are not taking advantage of the extra cores beyond a dual core, so it makes sense to have multiple processors that have specific jobs to do independently of one another but working in conjunction to deliver smooth results to the user...

The article makes the best analogy to folks misunderstanding a Tesla car because power in their mind = V8, having no regard for the performnce capability of an engine that works in a different way...

Although we're just talking about processor setup that could be included in any device, I will give a disclaimer, I do have some bias against Samsung galaxy devices, Samsung usually comes out with some pretty impressive specs on paper, but I've always found them to be lacking consistency in performance, too much lag, strange things like my pictures being deleted or having a grey block over them, battery mysteriously draining, not to mention its cheap plastic build makes me feel like it should cost under $20.

recDNA

Reaction score
Actually, I agree about the lag in Samsung devices however my biggest problem with them is their radio software. Motorola gets better reception in low coverage zones ime. My point is not that Samsung devices are better. My point is the hardware specs for the Note 3 are much better. I'd prefer that Motorola used the best hardware. They already have better software at least when it comes to radios.

3 gig of ram and a real octocore processor is simply better hardware. (Note 3 supposed specs) Give Moto that hardware and let them build an even better phone.

When it comes to lag... ime between the manufacturer adding more "features" in each model and VZW adding more bloat there will always be lag. I bet Verizon could produce lag in a pocket super computer! When Motorola makes a google version of its products I suspect that lag could disappear with even current hardware.

indee2025

Reaction score
Actually, I agree about the lag in Samsung devices however my biggest problem with them is their radio software. Motorola gets better reception in low coverage zones ime. My point is not that Samsung devices are better. My point is the hardware specs for the Note 3 are much better. I'd prefer that Motorola used the best hardware. They already have better software at least when it comes to radios.

3 gig of ram and a real octocore processor is simply better hardware. (Note 3 supposed specs) Give Moto that hardware and let them build an even better phone.

When it comes to lag... ime between the manufacturer adding more "features" in each model and VZW adding more bloat there will always be lag. I bet Verizon could produce lag in a pocket super computer! When Motorola makes a google version of its products I suspect that lag could disappear with even current hardware.

Well I always root devices to rid them of functionality I don't use/want/need...IMO devices are just becomming way to large, but there is a healthy amount of people who prefer larger devices so I wouldn't even go down that road...

The Droid Ultra and the Moto X are nice devices but it has just been SOOOOO long since I've heard of an upcoming device that I can really get excited about, the Droid DNA was close but it was just too big IMO...the original motorola Droid was such a game changing and solid device, I'd be nice to see an anniversary edition original Droid with updated software but the same outside/build...most of the devices being released just look strange...as someone who's been in the Army and is familiar with Kevlar, I have no idea why this is repeatedly being incoporated in a smartphone...The LG G2 and that new Nokia phone with the camera housing on the back are by far the farthest off the mark since the droid charge...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
these go on sale today do they not?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I looked at them at my local Verizon store 30 minutes ago. They even have the Mini in stock. Unfortunately, they downloaded a bunch of apps on them before they put them on display. It must be some standard set of apps because they even had Samsung apps on all of them. The circles widget was nowhere to be found. The Mini was plugged into a dead charging station, so I couldn't even turn it on to check the LCD screen. I'm going to check the Verizon store at the mall this afternoon.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I looked at them at my local Verizon store 30 minutes ago. They even have the Mini in stock. Unfortunately, they downloaded a bunch of apps on them before they put them on display. It must be some standard set of apps because they even had Samsung apps on all of them. The circles widget was nowhere to be found. The Mini was plugged into a dead charging station, so I couldn't even turn it on to check the LCD screen. I'm going to check the Verizon store at the mall this afternoon.

Yeah I at least want to take a look at them - especially the Maxx. I would've been interested in the Mini first, but I don't think I can handle that glossy back...

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The Mini actually felt more secure to hold than the Maxx. The Mini is actually a tiny bit thinner, but the sides are less curved than the Maxx, so it has a wider gripping area. I really like the size of the Mini, but I'm concerned about only having 16GB of non-expandable memory. With all the junk they loaded on it at the store, it only had 8.9GB free. That also made it impossible to see what it looks like from the factory. I think it is about 11GB free in factory configuration.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Mini actually felt more secure to hold than the Maxx. The Mini is actually a tiny bit thinner, but the sides are less curved than the Maxx, so it has a wider gripping area. I really like the size of the Mini, but I'm concerned about only having 16GB of non-expandable memory. With all the junk they loaded on it at the store, it only had 8.9GB free. That also made it impossible to see what it looks like from the factory. I think it is about 11GB free in factory configuration.

The Mini has all the same features, except for the Active Notifications, right?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spent about 30 minutes in store with all 3 (Mainly the Ultra and Maxx as the Mini wasn't activated and couldn't get to the home screen), next to a fellow android geek who was still rocking his Gnex. Keeping in mind I have a GS4 currently, here are some first impressions:

• The screen is gorgeous. Coming from an S4 that says a lot. Yes you can tell a difference in PPI if you look closely, but it's very crisp, and very bright and vibrant. I didn't test it outside, but based on how bright it got, it should do fine and probably better than the S4 outdoors. Overall I wouldn't rate it higher than the S4, but I wouldn't be disappointed in the change at all. I'm sure it looks even better on the smaller screen of the X. The screen on the Mini was very nice as well, but you can tell the difference in LCD vs. Amoled, and I couldn't see anything besides the activation screen anyway.
  • It's big... The Ultra is slightly thinner than the S4, and the Maxx is about the same to slightly thicker. But the frame is larger and more "boxy" - so it won't be as pocketable as the S4 or other ergonomically shaped devices.
  • The hard plastic on the Ultra and Mini actually felt much better than it looks, and all three feel like extremely solid unibody devices. The buttons were very tight and easy to feel/push, which was nice. The plastic doesn't feel as "cheap" (sorry, can't think of a better term) as the plastic on the S4. But it still doesn't feel as nice as the Kevlar on the Maxx - at least that's my opinion. Even though I thought the plastic looked cheap in pictures, my opinion is different after holding them - they're VERY solid and premium devices.
  • Active Notifications - didn't get to mess with this... for discussion's sake, I go back and forth on how useful this is for me. I kind of like the simplicity and privacy of a light blinking. I fear the Active Notifications will draw too much attention to the device if I'm sitting in a meeting and it comes on. It has settings to make it more private and disable it completely, however. I like how the S4's "active notification" (i.e. air preview) pops up when I want it to, when I want to actually check it. If you're pulling your phone out of your pocket, however, Active Notifications can be handy for a quick peek.
  • The quick camera hand shake gesture thing... Since it's universal, I can see it being "handy" (hah!) as a thoughtless gesture once you're used to using it to open the camera. Coming from a locked position, however, it's no faster than a lockscreen shortcut - it's also much more obnoxious of a motion and also not as sure a thing. It's not a subtle gesture - at least on the Ultra and Maxx I tested. Maybe the X will be better. But it's a serious double flip of the hand that if you fall short of, won't register. Like I said, once you're used to it I can see it being more useful... but I can also see myself knocking a drink over at dinner, the phone flying out of my hand, etc.
  • The Camera. This was the biggy for me. I've become accustomed to having a phone that can take excellent pictures on the fly with my kiddos, and it's become a very important feature for me. Motorola devices have especially sucked in this area over the past couple of years. They can take solid shots when you have a few to get set and the lighting is right, but most smartphones can nowadays. It was the weak camera on the HD series that pushed me to Sammy's devices, honestly.

So overall... it's solid... greatly improved in speed and auto-focus over the last Motorola lineup. It was hard to gauge in a lit up store, but flash shots of a shadowy area looked like the flash would make the photos pretty washed out, cold, and "blue-ish" - but that's hard to say for sure until it's tried in a truly dark scenario. Regular shots turned out pretty good and were taken pretty fast - but occasionally it had trouble auto-focusing, leaving the shot blurry. In general the shots felt a bit cold and slightly washed out - though MUCH better than previous Motorola devices. I'm also coming from the POV of the S4 which is supposedly too warm and saturated (though I love it...). So take it with a grain of salt. It's a decent camera... great compared to previous Moto devices, mediocre compared to other top-tier phones, and pretty fast and simple.
  • User Interface - It's basically stock Android. As opposed to the Razr/Maxx HD and M from last year, it actually feels like stock Android instead of a lightly skinned version. It's extremely smooth and responsive with no lag in the time I was messing with it. Compared to my S4, that's a tough call... the S4 does get bogged down a bit at times, but is still extremely smooth. But I also find myself getting ahead of the S4 at times, especially in processes that I'm very familiar with. I don't see that happening on the Droid. Again, it feels/looks like pure Android on a solid set of hardware.

I guess that's about it...

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Good review. Thank you. I think that the Mini does have active notifications, but I don't know how they do it with the LCD screen. I played with them a bit at the mall store. I like the Mini, but I wish they made a Mini Maxx (oxymoron?). Same as Mini with perhaps a 2800 mAh battery and 32GB memory for $199. I'd buy that in a second. I'm also waiting to see the HTC One. I've read very good reviews of the quality of it's headphone amp. Seems like it's better than the rest. Audio quality is more important to me than camera, but so is battery if I'm using it for MP3s.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Can't wait for quitting time.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I played with them all last night as well. Don't have much to add to Jnt's excellent review. I agree about the wave the hand thing and open the camera. I'm sure I'd launch the phone across the room sooner or later. Definitely stay away from JNT if he's had a couple of drinks at dinner and says "Hey, I want to take a picture!" He should say "Heads up! Incoming phone ready for launch!":wink:

I did play with the Mini for a few minutes and it seems very nice as well. The screen seemed just as nice as the others to me. Not quite as bright, but plenty clear and crisp. It was just as snappy as the other two in everything I tried to do with it. Web pages opened very fast. It was not on wifi, but 4G at the store and it was still screaming fast. I think it's going to turnout to be a pretty popular phone for those that don't want the increased size of the others.

I agree with the camera review. It seems better than past moto phones, but maybe a touch worse than the S4. I agree that the S4 over saturates pics and for many people that looks nice. That can certainly be done after the fact with any software. The pics seemed very sharp, focus was quick and easy to use.

Overall, three VERY solid devices. I like em all.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
My two nits after playing with them last night. Power cord in the bottom, bah hum bug. Power volume buttons a tad too tall for a naked phone, looks too easy to snag on that loose thread in jean pockets, you know the one. Nice screen and size, definitely will check it out more.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.