Welcome to the Droid Ultra Forums!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Ultra' started by cereal killer, Jul 9, 2013.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

View attachment 64610
    [​IMG]

We'd like to officially welcome everyone to the Motorola Droid Ultra forums! With this handset still in the shadows and details still very scarce, it is looking more and more like it could end up being a top notch handset with some very impressive specs. Until the official announcement we'll keep our ear to the ground for all the latest Droid Ultra rumors...

Anyone waiting for this handset to drop?
  2. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

That's the best picture of it I have seen so far. I am eligible for an upgrade next month and would consider one if the price is decent.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Panther1911

Panther1911 New Member

anyone know the release date?
  4. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

The entire new Droid line is available for pre-order now on Verizon's website. I believe the in store availability date is August 20th.
  5. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

August 20 for the Ultra and Maxx and August 29 for the Mini.
  6. recDNA

recDNA Member

I'm very interested but how can anyone be expected to preorder without some specs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  7. Psykho

Psykho Member

The full specs are out...
  8. recDNA

recDNA Member

Just found em. GS4 specs look better. No quad core, no full hd. Looks like the big advantage is battery life period.

9. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

10. recDNA

recDNA Member

Wow! Ya, LOVE the 3 gig ram with octacore but 5.7 inches way to big for me to carry. I also wanted to buy a new phone this fall.

11. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

Same here. I'd probably have the Note 2 right now if I could figure out how I'm going to carry it.
  12. recDNA

recDNA Member

I may buy one to use as a tablet unless the gs5 comes out with similar specs. I don't want huge but if it were out today I would buy it today. The specs are amazing. I've been screaming for more ram. Somebody listened. I wonder when vzw will get it?

13. indee2025

indee2025 Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]HUH? Come again?
    [/FONT]
    The S4 has a Quad-core 1.9 GHz Qualcomm OR the 1.6 GHz Octa-core ( One is an international device the other is not, example: Verizon version does not have the Octacore. )
    The S4 runs Touchwiz ontop of Android, which is notorious for causing lag while navigating through the device menus.

People get too wrapped up in numbers...a higher number doesn't always translate into better performance, look at the iPhone 5 (A6 1.3 GHz 1GB Ram), I don't like Apple's policies of locking everything down or how doing anything on the iPhone costs at least .99 cents, but I've owned an iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3 with better specs on paper than the iPhone 5 did not offer me a better experience...for what I do, Android suits me best, but if I had to choose between an iPhone 5 or a Galaxy S3 I'd choose the iPhone and hope I could trade it for a Droid DNA, that's another story...

The Droid Ultra has a Motorola X8 processor....it's a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4Pro family processor (1.7GHz Dual-Core Krait CPU, Quad-Core Adreno 320 GPU), a natural language processor and a contextual computing processor.

• 4 graphics processor cores
    • 2 application processor cores
    • 2 low-power cores—runs when you're not using the device to save battery and serves as a wake up for the rest of the processor when you want to actively use the device.
  14. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

The new X8 processor made a lot more sense to me after reading this interview:

Top Motorola engineer defends Moto X specs (Q&A) - CNET Mobile

The engineer states a lot of what you said in your post, indee2025. Maybe numbers on paper don't really mean much anymore when comparing phones. I am not a tech expert, but what Motorola is doing with the X Phone and new line of Droid's sounds pretty good to me. I plan on getting one of them later this year when I am eligible.
  15. indee2025

indee2025 Member

That's a great article, highlights some of what I'm trying to explain...Especially the part about how Motorola is redefining the way smartphones are constructed, by adding several processors to handle diffrent functions...There is a fast dual core for computing, another processor for language input and additional processor beyond those 2 for gestures, not to mention a dedicated graphics processor...

I don't really think it makes sense to compare any smartphone specs to he Moto X device because they are not even setup the same way, the real test would be performance, not just a simple benchmark test, but actually using the features, how well does the hands free capabililty work, how well do gestures work, how well does it play games and surf the web, does the battery run down at a slower rate than other devices performing similar tasks, etc etc

Good find on the article Sajokaz
    1 person likes this.
  16. recDNA

recDNA Member

So ignore any objective scientific measure of performance? I prefer the quad core processor or soon to come octocore processor to the x dual processor. The only way to subjectively compare a gs4 to an x would be a google version of both with no bloat. Good luck getting that from moto.

17. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

Thanks. I can't take credit for the find though. have to give the credit to a member on the Moto Owners forum. He shared the article this morning and I thought it was interesting and echoed what you were saying.
    1 person likes this.
  18. indee2025

indee2025 Member

Well supposedly the Moto X & Droid Ultra will not have the equivalent to touchwiz....I would normally vote in favor of a quad core over a dual core as well, except this is not a dual core chip in any environment like we've seen in the past, this is also not the same dual core that was put in devices last year...this is an entirely new way of managing tasks in a smartphone...I've heard over and over again that smartphones on average are not taking advantage of the extra cores beyond a dual core, so it makes sense to have multiple processors that have specific jobs to do independently of one another but working in conjunction to deliver smooth results to the user...

The article makes the best analogy to folks misunderstanding a Tesla car because power in their mind = V8, having no regard for the performnce capability of an engine that works in a different way...

Although we're just talking about processor setup that could be included in any device, I will give a disclaimer, I do have some bias against Samsung galaxy devices, Samsung usually comes out with some pretty impressive specs on paper, but I've always found them to be lacking consistency in performance, too much lag, strange things like my pictures being deleted or having a grey block over them, battery mysteriously draining, not to mention its cheap plastic build makes me feel like it should cost under $20.
  19. recDNA

recDNA Member

Actually, I agree about the lag in Samsung devices however my biggest problem with them is their radio software. Motorola gets better reception in low coverage zones ime. My point is not that Samsung devices are better. My point is the hardware specs for the Note 3 are much better. I'd prefer that Motorola used the best hardware. They already have better software at least when it comes to radios.

3 gig of ram and a real octocore processor is simply better hardware. (Note 3 supposed specs) Give Moto that hardware and let them build an even better phone.

When it comes to lag... ime between the manufacturer adding more "features" in each model and VZW adding more bloat there will always be lag. I bet Verizon could produce lag in a pocket super computer! When Motorola makes a google version of its products I suspect that lag could disappear with even current hardware.

20. indee2025

indee2025 Member

Well I always root devices to rid them of functionality I don't use/want/need...IMO devices are just becomming way to large, but there is a healthy amount of people who prefer larger devices so I wouldn't even go down that road...

The Droid Ultra and the Moto X are nice devices but it has just been SOOOOO long since I've heard of an upcoming device that I can really get excited about, the Droid DNA was close but it was just too big IMO...the original motorola Droid was such a game changing and solid device, I'd be nice to see an anniversary edition original Droid with updated software but the same outside/build...most of the devices being released just look strange...as someone who's been in the Army and is familiar with Kevlar, I have no idea why this is repeatedly being incoporated in a smartphone...The LG G2 and that new Nokia phone with the camera housing on the back are by far the farthest off the mark since the droid charge...
Search tags for this page
droid ultra forum
droid ultra forums

droid ultra led light

droid ultra led notification

droid ultra notification led

droid ultra notification light

droid ultra razr notification light
led light droid ultra
led light not working on droid ultra
led light on droid ultra
led notification droid ultra