Wearable Smart-devices Still Not Valued Highly According to Latest Marketing Research

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
wearable-smart-watches.jpg

This report pretty much confirms what we already knew here in the forums: consumers are not ready to shell out very much money for wearable computing devices just yet. The folks at Juniper Research compiled the info from a survey, and their analysis indicated that only 1 in 5 customers are prepared to pay more than $175 for a wearable smart device.

Their research determined that folks need a more compelling reason to consider shelling out their hard earned moola for a wearable, and that fitness related features are the most compelling reason people do so. The report also revealed that Apple and Samsung dominate the public perception for these devices. That is hardly surprising considering they spend the most on marketing.

Here's a link to the full report: Apple Voted ‘Coolest Wearables Brand’ Even by Android Users, Juniper Survey Finds - Juniper Research

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I fully believe this, and still pretty much feel the same after wearing a smart watch for almost a year now. The only reason I bought mine was because I found it on sale for $88.00 from someone that wore it once and didn't like it. It is cool technology.....but not "needed" technology. Most people that comment on my watch all say..."that's cool but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a smart watch, its not worth the $"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...and that fitness related features are the most compelling reason people do so.

We are still waiting for a few Android devices with gps and heart rate monitor to release. Otherwise, there's one from Apple and Sammie (running Tizen) and another coming from Sammie. Granted, most still aren't water proof and the optical heart rate sensors are supposed to be pretty bad generally.

Not that those specs are the everything for fitness (fitness apps for the watch are lagging), but it seemed obvious to me the fitness market was the one to target and most likely to be early adopters. Pretty much all of them, including Apple, got that wrong. Sony, probably Moto and now possibly Sammie are starting to figure that out.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Only reason I bought my MSFT Band was for fitness so I'd agree with this article. I'd have no desire to buy one otherwise, especially for $300-$400+

Apple watch cannot hold a candle to the MSFT Band when it comes to a fitness tracker. May be better looking but it cannot compete with it as a fitness wearable. I'm waiting on my Band 2 to ship

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Only reason I bought my MSFT Band was for fitness so I'd agree with this article. I'd have no desire to buy one otherwise, especially for $300-$400+

Apple watch cannot hold a handle to the MSFT Band when it comes to a fitness tracker. May be better looking but it cannot compete with it as a fitness wearable. I'm waiting on my Band 2 to ship
For fitness tracking.. Is that the one you'd swear by @cereal killer?

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
$90 is the yield for a wearable. For the most part it just serves as another way to check your notifications. Don't get me wrong I do recommend wearables and I know enthusiasts will pay because we love tech. But if you step back and look at it objectively no wearable is worth more than $100 based on what it can do.

Then again I can see the argument in that people are willing to pay $300 plus for a time piece that only tell time yet these watches tell time and __________.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yup....love it
Weird because I didn't see you do a review for it.

Let me search again.

Nope, no reviews either written or YouTube.

Holding out I see.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I am always an early adopter for new stuff. Usually the things I buy most other people do not until much later. With watches I just can't seem to make myself justify one. I'm not sure if it is due to me never having worn a watch before or because I don't need another screen to tell me what my phone already does.

I have yet to see any form of smart watch out in the wild from any OEM.

Reactions: cr6

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
$90 is the yield for a wearable. For the most part it just serves as another way to check your notifications.

The problem is, almost inexplicably, there are wearables that do GPS and heart rate monitoring better. But if you add-up what those devices cost as a starting point, you're already north of $100 for devices that pretty much ONLY do GPS and HRM.

The only other thing I like for fitness is wifi and bluetooth, with some storage - all those mainly for music. Waterproofing I think would be a pretty big deal...think the Moto 360 Sport is waterproof

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just doesn't offer enough advantages. Check your watch and see messages that you just have to pull your phone out to reply to anyway. I lift for strength, I don't jog, and I don't care about my heart rate while doing martial arts. There's nothing that a smartwatch will do to make my life better, and with little exception there are dumbwatches that look better just sitting there telling me the time.

luvarcher

Reaction score
sure, it sounds cool..sure it's in but no thanks.. unless it's free or on sale, I'd probably change my mind

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just doesn't offer enough advantages. Check your watch and see messages that you just have to pull your phone out to reply to anyway. I lift for strength, I don't jog, and I don't care about my heart rate while doing martial arts. There's nothing that a smartwatch will do to make my life better, and with little exception there are dumbwatches that look better just sitting there telling me the time.

That phrase would make @94lt1 proud.

I argued that it helped when jogging or running to switch songs (I like to jog/sprint before I lift to get the heart rate up as well as warm up the muscles) but I found myself trying to steady my arm to where it was just faster to whip out my phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You get older, or just coming back to working out....you care about heart rate and tracking your progress. I don't run, either, but I walk and I have a target distance I'm trying to hit.

Plus, I'm always listening to my music or Pandora at the gym. Granted, a cheaper smartwatch would suffice there but it's worth it for that alone to leave the bulky phone at home.

And bluetooth locks. Can leave the keys at home, as well.