1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

According to a New Survey 90% of Consumers have Tablet Fever

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

I always find surveys "dubious" at best, and this one is no different. Samsung released their findings from a survey they hired a company called Kelton Research to perform. Some of the findings are fairly interesting, but their claim that 90% of consumers have "tablet fever", and either own a tablet or would consider buying one, seems a tad out of proportion. It seems more like "wishful thinking" to me.

At any rate, here are some of their findings. The survey, of 1000 people polled, deduced that people would do the following with their tablets in these percentages:
    • 76%: reading the news or books
    • 64%: watching TV shows or movies
    • 61%: listening to music
    • 56%: updating their social networking profiles
    • 53%: play games instead of on a PC or standalone video game console
    • 44%: take pictures or film videos
    • 41%: video chat with loved ones
    • 34%: or stay connected with their co-workers
    Oh noes! I can feel my temperature rising. I just gotta go out and buy me a tablet right now! :D

Seriously though, maybe that might start being true here in a year or so... What do you guys think?

Below is the full press release of the survey from Samsung:
    Source: GalaxyTabForums.net via BGR
  2. buellboy9

buellboy9 New Member

Maybe when I've gotten older and my vision isn't what it is now. Right now, I don't see the sense in tablet computers. Less useful than a laptop, but every bit as inconvenient to carry around. I can do anything on my smartphone that you can do on a tablet, AND I can stick it easily in my pocket when I'm not using or (wonder of wonders) make phone calls with it!

I just don't understand the fascination with tablet computing. Why? Because Steve Jobs says it's hot??:icon_eek:
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I like it for the occassional convenience. During the regular season of Hockey, it was great to be able to chat on my teams Facebook page with other fans. Its nice to be able to check my e-mail, or even send one sitting on the couch. Laptops can do that, but if its something you do rarely, a tablet can be easier. It'd be nice for traveling if you do travel a lot. But frankly, people seem to think it can replace an entire computer. That is just stupid IMO.

My 5 year old loves it too and there are some good educational apps for tablets. But if you want one just because its cool and new and everyone else wants/has one. Then ya, what a waste.
  4. patfactorx

patfactorx New Member

Windows 8 Tablet convertible! Then emulate Android for the stuff that u wanna run.
  5. ntrddragn

ntrddragn New Member

i have to say that 34% that wanted a tablet to keep in contact with their "co-workers" are lying. LOL

I find a tablet useful at times. My work provided me an iPad so I can do presentation and make tablet/ipad friendly reports. They are actually hiring consultants to write apps specifically to fit the company needs. but thats a different story.

I mostly use it for HBO GO ..LMAO and my kids play with it (education games and books). Its a great educational tools for sure.
  6. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

I use my Xoom A LOT.

I keep it on hand for checking a quick wiki stat while watching TV or reading an email while on the sofa. It's nice to just have around and is way less cumbersome than a laptop. Using a tablet is up to the individual. I don't hammer out huge emails or write novels, and I don't play graphically intensive PC games. Tablets are great for light internet or entertainment consumption on a screen much larger than my phone while taking up less space and resources than a laptop.

Some folks on the internet get fired up over tablets vs laptops, and to them I can only recommend that they sing the theme song from Diff'rent Strokes and chill out.
  7. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

About this or any survey, I always go back to that old Abraham Lincoln quote.

"47% of all statistics and 31% of all quotes on the internet are completely made up"
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

My iPad gets much more use then my phone. Better games, larger screen, and so easy to use.

It even gives me notifications of email before the Droid 2 does. Most of the to use. I can watch television, and moderate the forums.

I think the report is bull puky however. My wife has no interest in a tablet. And I've seen many people simply say they aren't interested.
  9. lfylove

lfylove New Member

If I had the extra money to spend I would get a tab even though I have no use for it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  10. dark juggalo

dark juggalo New Member

90%? were did they pick 'em up at...best buy,game stop and verizon?
  11. Hitman84

Hitman84 New Member

No interest......not even .000001%
  12. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Same here. They look fun.
    Reading books
    Watching movies
    Playing games

13. Raidy

Raidy New Member

My only interest in a tablet is the instant on ability. Played around a bit with lightweight OS distros on my netbook, but it's still not quite the same.. I want INSTANT on with a netbook formfactor (want keyboard/self standing).

Chromebook was tempting, but too pricey and not enough features. Debating still on a tablet with keyboard, but I just can't really justify it with how infrequently I would use it... might look into a fast SSD for my netbook or something.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  14. DarkJeckyll

DarkJeckyll New Member

I think for my use the tablet i get will probably replace my laptop. Ever since i quit playing Counter Strike and old school games like that all i really ever do is surf the web and check emails. I don't hardcore game anymore, i really don't have any time or interest either. I think it would be a lot easier to lay in my bed with my tablet and surf the web then sit at my desk and do it. And plus the Thrive(The table i plan to get) will do everything i ever need with the full size USB port its a dream. My I7 Vaio never leaves my desk anyways lol
  15. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

It is pretty handy for reading the WSJ, or for some quick web browsing. Kindle on them is nice as well. But that's about it. Of course, if I had the Asus Transformer I might do a bit more on it.
  16. s_cuttic

s_cuttic Member

If I had the $$$ I'd get a tablet and ditch my laptop. I played with an ipad when it first came out but I didn't like it. Too big and bulky if I remember right. I'd like to try out the blackberry playbook. I love my droid but I'd trade it for a storm 3 in a heartbeat.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums. Darkslide
  17. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

There's that. I was debating getting a tablet for surfing until work gave me one. But tablets aren't quite where I feel they need to be to justify the price. Although the fact that my laptop is a portable heater and really more of a desktop replacement was pushing me toward a tablet or netbook.
  18. txrover

txrover New Member

My family just had this debate and went with 2 netbooks for the price of 1 tablet. Wanted ability for the kids to write reports and papers with real keybd and the cost was hard to beat. Ipad and xoom tabs needd to be $250 starting price for 8G models.

19. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Wait... so Abe invented the internet not Al.
    Easy confusion.
    LOL

20. FrellingFrakker

FrellingFrakker New Member

I'm still firmly in the "I have a 4.3" screen Android phone and a good laptop so why the hell do I need a tablet" camp. I can see the value of a tablet in certain work environments, but that's about it.
Search tags for this page

survey questions about android tablet in education