According to a New Survey 90% of Consumers have Tablet Fever

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-101-fever.jpg

I always find surveys "dubious" at best, and this one is no different. Samsung released their findings from a survey they hired a company called Kelton Research to perform. Some of the findings are fairly interesting, but their claim that 90% of consumers have "tablet fever", and either own a tablet or would consider buying one, seems a tad out of proportion. It seems more like "wishful thinking" to me.

At any rate, here are some of their findings. The survey, of 1000 people polled, deduced that people would do the following with their tablets in these percentages:
  • 76%: reading the news or books
  • 64%: watching TV shows or movies
  • 61%: listening to music
  • 56%: updating their social networking profiles
  • 53%: play games instead of on a PC or standalone video game console
  • 44%: take pictures or film videos
  • 41%: video chat with loved ones
  • 34%: or stay connected with their co-workers
Oh noes! I can feel my temperature rising. I just gotta go out and buy me a tablet right now! :D

Seriously though, maybe that might start being true here in a year or so... What do you guys think?

Below is the full press release of the survey from Samsung:
Power and Portability of Mobile Tablets Push New Popularity in the U.S.

New Samsung Mobile Survey Reveals 90 Percent of U.S. Consumers
Already Own or Are Considering Purchasing a Tablet

DALLAS (June 7, 2011)— Samsung Mobile, the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S. 1, today announced the results of an online survey that showed that mobile tablets are becoming the new must-have device for an overwhelming majority of Americans. The survey revealed that 90 percent of U.S. consumers either already own a tablet or would consider buying one.

The survey examined the most common use cases for mobile tablets among Americans who already own or would consider purchasing a mobile tablet, include:

76%: reading the news or books
64%: watching TV shows or movies
61%: listening to music
56%: updating their social networking profiles

More than half (53%) of survey respondents would choose to use their mobile tablet to play games instead of on a PC or standalone video game console. In addition, the survey showed Americans would use a tablet to take pictures or film videos (44%), video chat with loved ones (41%) or stay connected with their co-workers (34%).

The survey was conducted as part of Samsung’s upcoming retail launch of the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1, the world’s thinnest tablet measuring just 8.6 millimeters thin and weighing 1.24 pounds. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is powered by Android™ 3.1 Honeycomb, offering faster and smoother transitions between different applications, more intuitive navigation to and from home screens and broader support of USB accessories, external keyboards, joysticks and gamepads. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is designed with an NVIDIA Tegra 1GHz dual core application processor for powerful gaming and multimedia performance. The Tab’s ultra-thin design does not sacrifice battery life, thanks to a 7000 mAh battery providing up to 9 hours of continuous use on a single charge.2

From June 8, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition will be available exclusively at the Best Buy Union Square location in New York City. It can also be pre-ordered from select retail partners. Starting June 17, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be available at Best Buy online and in-store along with Fry’s Electronics, Amazon.com, Micro Center, Tiger Direct and Newegg. These retail outlets will have 16GB version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition for $499, and the 32GB version of the device will be available for $599. In addition, the WiFi version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be available through Sprint starting mid-summer 2011. Visit SAMSUNG for additional details.

The national survey, commissioned by Samsung Mobile, was conducted by Kelton Research and included 1,000 Americans ages 18 and older.

*All decimals are rounded to the nearest percentage point. This may result in certain numerical totals adding up to slightly more or slightly less than 100%.

1 Number one mobile phone provider in the U.S claim for Samsung Mobile based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics, Q1 2011 U.S. Market Share Handset Shipments Reports.

2 Battery power consumption depends on factors such as network configuration, signal strength, operating temperature, features selected, vibrate mode, backlight settings, browser use, and frequency of data and other application usage patterns.
Source: GalaxyTabForums.net via BGR

buellboy9

Reaction score
Maybe when I've gotten older and my vision isn't what it is now. Right now, I don't see the sense in tablet computers. Less useful than a laptop, but every bit as inconvenient to carry around. I can do anything on my smartphone that you can do on a tablet, AND I can stick it easily in my pocket when I'm not using or (wonder of wonders) make phone calls with it!

I just don't understand the fascination with tablet computing. Why? Because Steve Jobs says it's hot??:icon_eek:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Maybe when I've gotten older and my vision isn't what it is now. Right now, I don't see the sense in tablet computers. Less useful than a laptop, but every bit as inconvenient to carry around. I can do anything on my smartphone that you can do on a tablet, AND I can stick it easily in my pocket when I'm not using or (wonder of wonders) make phone calls with it!

I just don't understand the fascination with tablet computing. Why? Because Steve Jobs says it's hot??:icon_eek:

I like it for the occassional convenience. During the regular season of Hockey, it was great to be able to chat on my teams Facebook page with other fans. Its nice to be able to check my e-mail, or even send one sitting on the couch. Laptops can do that, but if its something you do rarely, a tablet can be easier. It'd be nice for traveling if you do travel a lot. But frankly, people seem to think it can replace an entire computer. That is just stupid IMO.

My 5 year old loves it too and there are some good educational apps for tablets. But if you want one just because its cool and new and everyone else wants/has one. Then ya, what a waste.

patfactorx

Reaction score
Windows 8 Tablet convertible! Then emulate Android for the stuff that u wanna run.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i have to say that 34% that wanted a tablet to keep in contact with their "co-workers" are lying. LOL

I find a tablet useful at times. My work provided me an iPad so I can do presentation and make tablet/ipad friendly reports. They are actually hiring consultants to write apps specifically to fit the company needs. but thats a different story.

I mostly use it for HBO GO ..LMAO and my kids play with it (education games and books). Its a great educational tools for sure.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I use my Xoom A LOT.

I keep it on hand for checking a quick wiki stat while watching TV or reading an email while on the sofa. It's nice to just have around and is way less cumbersome than a laptop. Using a tablet is up to the individual. I don't hammer out huge emails or write novels, and I don't play graphically intensive PC games. Tablets are great for light internet or entertainment consumption on a screen much larger than my phone while taking up less space and resources than a laptop.

Some folks on the internet get fired up over tablets vs laptops, and to them I can only recommend that they sing the theme song from Diff'rent Strokes and chill out.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
About this or any survey, I always go back to that old Abraham Lincoln quote.

"47% of all statistics and 31% of all quotes on the internet are completely made up"

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My iPad gets much more use then my phone. Better games, larger screen, and so easy to use.

It even gives me notifications of email before the Droid 2 does. Most of the to use. I can watch television, and moderate the forums.

I think the report is bull puky however. My wife has no interest in a tablet. And I've seen many people simply say they aren't interested.

lfylove

Reaction score
If I had the extra money to spend I would get a tab even though I have no use for it

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

debdroid1a

Reaction score
If I had the extra money to spend I would get a tab even though I have no use for it

Same here. They look fun.
Reading books
Watching movies
Playing games

Raidy

Reaction score
My only interest in a tablet is the instant on ability. Played around a bit with lightweight OS distros on my netbook, but it's still not quite the same.. I want INSTANT on with a netbook formfactor (want keyboard/self standing).

Chromebook was tempting, but too pricey and not enough features. Debating still on a tablet with keyboard, but I just can't really justify it with how infrequently I would use it... might look into a fast SSD for my netbook or something.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

DarkJeckyll

Reaction score
I think for my use the tablet i get will probably replace my laptop. Ever since i quit playing Counter Strike and old school games like that all i really ever do is surf the web and check emails. I don't hardcore game anymore, i really don't have any time or interest either. I think it would be a lot easier to lay in my bed with my tablet and surf the web then sit at my desk and do it. And plus the Thrive(The table i plan to get) will do everything i ever need with the full size USB port its a dream. My I7 Vaio never leaves my desk anyways lol

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It is pretty handy for reading the WSJ, or for some quick web browsing. Kindle on them is nice as well. But that's about it. Of course, if I had the Asus Transformer I might do a bit more on it.