VZW's Skype Application available March 25th.

bastosero

Reaction score
mine force closes as soon as I try and open it? Anyone else having this problem? I wondered if it might be a problem with cyanogen mod or maybe its a 2.1 issue.

I'm still on 2.0.1 and works fine for me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just set up my account and downloaded to phone. Seems to be working.

Not quite what i thought it would be. I thought it would be a picture/phone app. I guess it just works that way with computers.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I have to say I'm bummed that this Skype app is of absolutely no use to me. I was hoping I could use it to make and receive calls at my home via wi-fi, since I get horrible cell coverage there. Oh well.

Thus far I've been unsuccessful at getting Sipdroid to function at 100%...maybe I'll give it another shot.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I have to say I'm bummed that this Skype app is of absolutely no use to me. I was hoping I could use it to make and receive calls at my home via wi-fi, since I get horrible cell coverage there. Oh well.

Thus far I've been unsuccessful at getting Sipdroid to function at 100%...maybe I'll give it another shot.

i posted a link earlier on in this thread about how to get sipdroid/gizmo5/ and google voice to play nice to make free phone calls via wifi, told everyone on here skype wouldn't work with just a wifi connection , Verizon would never allow such a thing bc they know they would lose alot of business that way.

love making free calls with sipdroid/gizmo5/and google voice :) screw skype for now. at least skype on the phone.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

i posted a link earlier on in this thread about how to get sipdroid/gizmo5/ and google voice to play nice to make free phone calls via wifi, told everyone on here skype wouldn't work with just a wifi connection , Verizon would never allow such a thing bc they know they would lose alot of business that way.

love making free calls with sipdroid/gizmo5/and google voice :) screw skype for now. at least skype on the phone.

Yep, I've used that one (and several others) to get it working somewhat. I can receive calls via sipdroid, but I get hung up somewhere trying to make calls. I just get a voice saying that I have insufficient credit on my account (or something along those lines) when I try to dial out. I think the message is coming from Sipgate.

WVOz1970

Reaction score
tell me why I would use skype when I have google voice?

I would probably use GV if I would ever get my stinking invitation... :cus: :biggrin:

I've had a SkypeIn number for a while that I use for a side business I run. A lot cheaper than adding a second line at my house... a year of Skype equals less than two months of a second line at home. That's the main reason I keep Skype around.

Just started testing out the app, not sure I'm real impressed yet.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Downloaded, installed and signed in. Doesn't work with Wi-fi, useless.

jdx

Reaction score
I like it, since I have a lot of friends and family, who can now call me on my cell from their computers (and vice versa). Especially calls to other countries are really cheap (2 cents), which makes it even more interesting to me! I dont need support for wi-fi, since i have my laptop at home anyway.:icon_ banana:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I just get a voice saying that I have insufficient credit on my account (or something along those lines) when I try to dial out. I think the message is coming from Sipgate.

No that message is actually from gizmo5 because you need call out credits, but its only like 10 bux for 1000 mins a hell of alot cheaper than vzw's calling plans. I had that same message, added 10 dollars credit to the gizmo and it flys now calling out and receiving calls in.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
Can someone post the apk file? I am using 2.1 ese53 and it is not showing up in the market for me.

Thanks in advance.

snowman

Reaction score
I just installed and it says in the terms it cannot be used in Wi-Fi mode and minutes will be billed per Verizon by your plan.
911 calls will be handled bt Verizon
not available when blocking numbers
so really what good is it? unless you have an unlimited plan?

buzzdar

Reaction score
the only good i see with skype over vzw is that you can call other skype people over seas and any where in the world. to me its basically more m 2 m calling. it does not use VOIP it actually dials a number to call into skype. i know i used nimbuzz for the droid to make and receive calls via skype but its actually using VOIP i would say all over the internet but with this new vzw skype all it does not. and i think the reason it dont allow you to be on wifi is because they still want you only on the vzw network.