VZ Penalty for Early Termination?

OP
D

droidess

Reaction score
If you need it that bad.....Add a second line to your account....

• Wanted to try that too, but can only do it directly thru VZ.
  • Can't add a new indiv acct via 3rd party because already have line.
  • Can't change from Indiv to Family plan thru 3rd party.
  • Can't change from Indiv to Family plan on VZ website w/out buying the phone from VZ.
  • If change from Indiv to Family plan on Wirefly, I can't change back to lower family plan [nationwide 65+] for 181 days, which is too long and wipes out any saving I might get from buying the phone from them.

It appears that this is all computer-modeled so that I pay a minimum amount per year no matter how I configure it. If I save on phone, then I'm locking into 3rd party contracts with VZ that restrict the plan, etc.

Next suggestion?

Beka27

Reaction score
Ebay or Craigslist. How much would the ETF be? The DX is 200 right now thru VZW. If the ETF is that much... You'd break even either way. Go thru ebay and you wouldn't have to use your upgrade right now.

(from Beka's DX)

OP
D

droidess

Reaction score
Ebay or Craigslist. How much would the ETF be? The DX is 200 right now thru VZW. If the ETF is that much... You'd break even either way. Go thru ebay and you wouldn't have to use your upgrade right now.

(from Beka's DX)

ETF=85

Given my current situation, don't think I can do the eBay right now because am also moving residence, getting ready for major surgery, and just getting a phone shouldn't be this annoyingly complex and expensive. imo.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dont forget swappa too.

I got my fascinate on ebay so I can save my upgrade or drop vzw when I want. Top rated sellers usually have good product.

Sent from my fascinate

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Oh, I can use the upgrade, but not for the special deals from the 3rd party peeps, like Wirefly, Amazon, Bestbuy, etc. The upgrade permission is in my file as a special dispensation from management, and 3rd party people say they can't take advantage of it.

So, to get the phone I want at the price I want , e.g. from a 3rd party, I need to start with a new contract.

VZ wants to make their cut of the phone cost, not just keep my business, apparently. So the early upgrade only applies if I buy phone from VZ.

Did you hear this directly from Verizon? On the phone? Usually Verizon will match third party deals.

I tried that. VZW wouldn't even consider matching the price that Amazon had for my Pro when I bought it. Tried two corporate stores as well as a couple phone calls.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Given my current situation, don't think I can do the eBay right now because am also moving residence, getting ready for major surgery, and just getting a phone shouldn't be this annoyingly complex and expensive. imo.
Good luck with it. It's this way with any carrier (and their resellers). Pick your poison. We all want cheap, subsidized phones with no contracts. Every option will have pros and cons. That's just life.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Call Verizon, tell them your cancelling, tell them why and see what happens. They have various offers in certain situations. Plus they will do a lot to keep a customer.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes be persitent. Tell them you will bring your business to att because they have a better offer for you. Vzw has tried to screw me over before and they changed their tune when I told them I wad cancelling.

Sent from my fascinate

OP
D

droidess

Reaction score
They will let me upgrade right away, but ONLY if I get the phone from them directly, by mail or a VZW store. They don't have the best phone deals at the moment.

So, I guess the best deal is still to cancel my current contract, pay the $85 EFT, and then I can shop at Best Buy at least. But not at Wirefly, because they require a 181 day hold because I did an EFT.

Today Best Buy has the Fascinate for Free, so this is my plan now. And no, I've not been trying to get around the system. The system left me with a broken Droid. Which is the ONLY reason I'm in this situation.

modisch

Reaction score
And you threatened to switch carriers? Sometimes that helps. Verizon sometimes does bend the rules a bit. My mom bought me s DX as a birthday gift but I didn't have a upgrade available yet. But she badgered them into giving it to me at upgrade price, plus they kicked in some accessories.

The key, as my professional pain in the ass brother says, is to "make it less problematic to give you what you want than to keep dealing with you on the phone."

If you need to, talk to a manager and keep talking to that same manager. You might wear them down. Also, make it clear why you are doing this. You have a broken droid, your looking at going into surgery, you want to keep your phone number so family and friends can stay in touch easily while you are recovering. And you don't have the money for a full price replacement. Throw in the fact that you'll sign a two-year contact if you can work something out (if you are comfortable with that). That makes for a nice carrot to dangle for them.

With that kind of pressing on a manager (or someone else that has the power to do what you want), you should get some kind of deal.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

lerit50

Reaction score
And you threatened to switch carriers? Sometimes that helps. Verizon sometimes does bend the rules a bit. My mom bought me s DX as a birthday gift but I didn't have a upgrade available yet. But she badgered them into giving it to me at upgrade price, plus they kicked in some accessories.

The key, as my professional pain in the ass brother says, is to "make it less problematic to give you what you want than to keep dealing with you on the phone."

If you need to, talk to a manager and keep talking to that same manager. You might wear them down. Also, make it clear why you are doing this. You have a broken droid, your looking at going into surgery, you want to keep your phone number so family and friends can stay in touch easily while you are recovering. And you don't have the money for a full price replacement. Throw in the fact that you'll sign a two-year contact if you can work something out (if you are comfortable with that). That makes for a nice carrot to dangle for them.

With that kind of pressing on a manager (or someone else that has the power to do what you want), you should get some kind of deal.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

Agreed. I did something like this and got a droid 2

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL