Voicemail App

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
OK I hate my Voicemail app. I would like to know if there's an app out there that anyone is familiar with. Basically, I want my Voicemail button to either change icons, or at the very least show some kind of marker when a new message has been left. Any ideas?

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of YouMail. I bought the app on my last phone, but it's free on Google Play. You can customize the greeting for your contacts (or unknown calls), check your voicemail on the web, messages are downloaded to your phone rather than calling in, and you can get text/email alerts. I don't see an option to change the icon but there are several notification options. See attached.

View attachment 56213

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Let me clarify what I'm looking for. My previous phone was the OMNIA (SCH-i910), which ran on Windows Mobile 6.1. On the taskbar, I would see the word "Notifications" (if I remember correctly), and when I tapped it, it showed me that I either had a new text or a new Voicemail. The word "Notification" would not disappear until I did check my Voicemail.

That said, I realize there's no taskbar in ICS along the bottom, like my old WM phone. I would basically like to be able to look at my phone's home screen, see the Voicemail button (it's currently one of the 5 main icons along the bottom), with some sort of indication that there is a message that I have not listened to, without having to listen to my Voicemail. Does YouMail do that?

I also am using Stock ICS. Would a feature like this be included in something like the Apex or the Nova launchers?

Last edited:

ricks

Reaction score
I used to use an app called "Missed Call Alert" It would show missed calls and texts with the number of missed items on the screen.

awriternot

Reaction score
Do you not get the little VM icon in your notification bar? I use the stock VM & that little icon appears when I have a new one.

Sent from my Unrooted Droid Razr Maxx Using Tapatalk

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I think some of you are missing the point I'm trying to make here. I apologize, I'm not the greatest at explaining things. Rather than having to sift through all of my notifications, I would like to basically look at my Voicemail icon (or button, whatever the terminology is), and see a number or some colored mark, indicating that I have a voicemail that I have not checked.

I think back on my old phone, notifications were much less, as I didn't have the ability to link as many things to them, or I didn't bother for one reason or another. That's why I saw so few notifications. Plus, the word "Notifications" was right in front of me. With the MAXX, I have to swipe down to see all of my notifications. I feel that they're sort of "Out of sight, out of mind" if that makes sense.

Maybe what I'm really looking for, is a notifications manager that will show some sort of indication in plain sight. You select which notifications appear through such an "app", and will also provide the desired functionality for voicemail checking. As it is, I think you need to go through each individual thing and uncheck a box to get rid of the notification. Plus, there's no notification in plain sight.

EDIT: Well, it looks like this might solve my problem, but I don't know if the number indicates just unheard messages or also includes "listened-to" and saved messages. Still haven't installed the Apex Launcher. Can anyone tell me if it'll do something similar? I had the Go launcher prior to the ICS update and I hated the smaller screen for the Apps.

Last edited: