Google Voice / Standard Voicemail Issue

yamaredman

Reaction score
Of the millions of voicemail questions out there, I couldn't find an answer to this one, so here goes...

I have Google Voice on my Original Droid just for the voicemail feature.

I forwarded a voicemail message from another phone to my Droid and the message went to my standard voicemail... not Google Voice.

The problem is, when I dial *86 to check my standard voicemail, it says that I don't have any new messages and I can't review any saved messages.

I still have the icon in my notification bar saying I have a new voicemail and I can't get it to go away. Is there even a setting to not show the voicemail icon in the notification bar? This would solve my problem as I don't mind having an old voicemail there... I just want to get rid of the icon.

Any help is appreciated.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of the millions of voicemail questions out there, I couldn't find an answer to this one, so here goes...
Your question is actually the same as the typical question of "How do I access [insert carrier here] voicemail instead of GV voicemail?".

The problem is, when I dial *86 to check my standard voicemail, it says that I don't have any new messages and I can't review any saved messages.
You're actually dialing GV VM. If you compare, the greetings and prompts are entirely different with the 2 systems. If I dial *86 on my Droid (with GV VM set up for my VZW number) I get GV VM.

To access VZW VM you'd need to disable conditional call forwarding and then dial *86. Once you're done with VZW VM you'd need to re-instate conditional call forwarding -- which is what you did when you followed the instructions on the "Activate GV VM for this phone" link -- once you're done with VZW VM. Basically, it's a matter of dialing *71, your GV number and hitting send.

Last edited:
OP
yamaredman

yamaredman

Reaction score
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Is it possible to forward a message to my GV VM instead of my VZW VM?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what VM system? AFAIK there's no good way to transfer VM's from one system to another. There's really no standard for intercommunication.