Voice search goes to google's homepage when looking for contact.

jaybogg

Reaction score
I would definitely be curious to see if that fixes it, let us know if you have any problems with fastboot.

I've steadily been reading since my last post and yes, I seem to be coming up with more questions than answers. Just noticed phone was at 35% so just placed it on the charger. As previously stated, I am in no hurry as phone works fine other than this feature which I rarely use, and known bugs such as getting videos to play which I also don't use much. Still noob to android, Palm pre was easy to tether, just hook up the cable and run a utility. So here we go...

1. Can I fastboot from .215 unrooted phone?
2. What utility would I use and what version would I go to, .211 or can I fastboot .215 on unrooted phone?
3. Would I use one of MattG's utilities?

These would be the first of probably many questions and if already covered somewhere(as I am sure it is), links pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate any help given and it is not laziness on my part. I feel like a 6th grader in a room full of college grads as I read the threads. I am sure it will all come together for me in time though!:biggrin:

I truly realize that an FDR would be the easy way out and I am still keeping it as an option, but I doubt I would learn anything other than how to perform a FDR and I would be fixing the symptom and never know the true problem. That bugs me!:angry:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes good job on charging the phone first, I would not mess with it until you get a full battery.

Yes you can fast boot from. 215 back to .211 from a non rooted phone.

I would recommend using RSD lite and the fast boot files over the utility.

FoxKat gave step by step instructions in another thread, let me go find it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

jaybogg

Reaction score
First post, I have had my Razr since the 4th of July, and it is updated to ICS, when I touch and hold the search icon and say "call dad home" it goes straight to google and does an online search, I have tried this many ways and did it just like in the video. There are videos in the help center app showing this will pick up contacts and call them, it does not work on my or my wifes phone, we got them the same day. I called verizon and they transfered me to motorola and after 1 hour and letting them take over the phone they can't figure it out. They want me to send the phone in but this is my only phone, no land line. I have searched the forum but did not come up with a similar post. If I use the voice command app it does work to make calls but that won't let you voice text or email, I would rather use the main search button to make calls and texts.

Any advice?

Mike

I was not trying to hijack your thread although it seems this is what inadvertently happened. I still would like to know if you made any progress on your problem since they seem closely related if not the same. I too would not be at all interested in sending my phone to moto. If you find a fix please report it, it would be greatly appreciated. Hope you and the wife get the phones working. Mine used to work on GB, and the few times I used it, it seemed pretty neat. I use the voice search a lot for web searches and that still works fine for me.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Yes good job on charging the phone first, I would not mess with it until you get a full battery.

Yes you can fast boot from. 215 back to .211 from a non rooted phone.

I would recommend using RSD lite and the fast boot files over the utility.

FoxKat gave step by step instructions in another thread, let me go find it.

When attempting to edumakate myself, I did a search for "fastboot", which led to more horror stories than help, many that involved batteries, therefor checking mine and charging. I figured someone had written a step-by-step, but finding it is like looking for the proverbial needle. FoxKat is quite the wily fellow, his knowledge goes quite deeper than a simple battery, :biggrin: although I read quite the dissertation he wrote about batteries while discussing differences with another feller.

wheelspinner20

Reaction score
Plz report back. I have the same exact problem. Empty To: field on voice command for Email or text.

Thanks in advance....stock rz max ICS phone with no experience.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Plz report back. I have the same exact problem. Empty To: field on voice command for Email or text.

Thanks in advance....stock rz max ICS phone with no experience.

will do...downlading files, installing drivers, getting things ready for fastboot...having trouble getting the OTA .211 to download, 271MB into it and froze, trying again

jaybogg

Reaction score
View attachment 53679
I would definitely be curious to see if that fixes it, let us know if you have any problems with fastboot.

Well, I now know how to fastboot using RSDLite 5.7, I am currently on .211, and NO, it did not modulate the problem. When I checked for which apps were where, I noticed there were 4 apps related to "contacts". I could have sworn there were only 2 previously and momentarily had my hopes up, but alas, it was not meant to be.:angry:

Here's the test. My vocal command was "E-mail Stephen"...and if it was looking to my people or contacts apps it would pull "Stephen" and not "steven" as their is no steven in my contacts. Could someone look in "Manage Apps" and see if there are 4 apps as shown with names starting with "contacts" for me? I would sure appreciate to know if this is normal or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-28-00-31-09.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-28-00-31-09.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_2012-07-28-00-02-09.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-28-00-02-09.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 179

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yep those four apps are normal and should be there. Voice search still isn't work right huh? Do you now only have just the People app in your app drawer and not people and contacts ?

jaybogg

Reaction score
Yep those four apps are normal and should be there. Voice search still isn't work right huh? Do you now only have just the People app in your app drawer and not people and contacts ?

I am probably using the wrong terminology so I will describe it. From the homepage, when I go MENU, MANAGE APPS, I see only the CONTACTS APPS shown above. When I select the APPS icon and see all the tiled apps icons, I have PEOPLE but no CONTACTS. Previously I had CONTACTS and PEOPLE when using the APPS icon and both CONTACTS and PEOPLE icons on my homepage, When I disabled CONTACTS, I lost PHONE, PEOPLE, and CONTACTS icons from my homepage. I enabled CONTACTS. I pressed the APPS icon and dragged PHONE and PEOPLE icons back to their default positions on the homepage. I could not drag the CONTACTS icon back to the homepage as it no longer exists within the APPS icon (tiled apps).

From what you posted above, I believe apps are now just as they should be, and the FDR is approaching like a white light in a tunnel, only I'm afraid its not the end of the tunnel, its the locomotive!!:biggrin:

Really appreciate all the help you have given and I'm really glad I did the fastboot as I now understand that procedure and what it accomplishes much more.

1) I know its been asked a gazillion times, but what is the best back-up method for contcts, email, and music prior to an FDR?
2) If I move them to my ext SD-Card, are they safe from a FDR or should I move them to my PC?
3) Would a combination of Back-up assistant for contacts and E-mail, the PC for Music be best?

I am a bit reluctant to try and manually move the contacts and then manually move them back in case this is where the problem lies.

Thx again for all your help!!:biggrin:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
When you go to manage apps and ALL, you are going to see a lot of things that are not neccesarily run-able apps if that makes sense. Those are things that run in the background of the phone and tie into other actual apps of the phone.

If you click the little circle with the dots and go into your app drawer, those are all actually tangible apps that can be run and are installed on your phone. So yes if you only have People in the app drawer now then you are good.

1. Backup for email and contacts I let Gmail do both of those and back everything up to their servers.
2. As far as music, move it to your external sd card and remove that prior to doing a fdr.
3. Backup Assistant would work for you contacts if you so choose to use that.

You can also go into your Settings>Privacy>and choose to backup your application data, and certain settings and they will be restored once the FDR is done.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Done deal, will be busier than a 1 legged man in a butt kickin' contest for a while setting it back up. Any ideas on whether to go to .215 prior to reloading everything? Seems this would be the most logical route.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I would go to .215 before doing all your APPS and settings back.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Bad news is I'm on 3rd FDR, no improvement on voice call, voice text, or voice e-mail. Still doing what I showed a screen shot of in previous post. Didn't .211 get rid or favorite tiles and go to star system? I now have the favorite tiles on top of homepage like GB had. ABOUT says it is .211, build date jun 14. Does this sound right?:blink: