Can't Voice Search Contacts

danipolo

Reaction score
The voice dialer on my droid has never worked. Not even a little. I just tried it twice before writing this post and saying "call Denise" resulted in nothing the first time and asking me if I wanted to call Jason or Casey the second time.

I speak clearly at an average pace. I find this really frustrating. I used the voice dialer on my razr for common contacts for 3 years and rarely had a problem.

The (at least my) droid has a problem with voice commands. It's so bad, I don't even have the shortcut on any home screens. It really sucks.

Any advice or just forget about this feature?

Did you try any of the advice on the threat? I don't know.. like the one above your post? Try importing your contacts into GMAIL?

1stdroid

Reaction score
danipolo, I don't think my contacts should have to be duplicated in a gmail account for the phone to work. Sure, I could try that and then, if it doesn't work, what, go in and delete the duplicate contacts?

Here's a question, why doesn't the phone, I don't know, work?

les017

Reaction score
From contacts --> Menu --> Import/Export --> Export to SD Card
Contacts --> Menu --> Import/Export --> Import from SD Card
You will be asked if you should import it into which account (I chose gmail, was previously on exchange)

after import is complete, voice search contacts should work.

thanks my friend - this worked perfectly. My Droid also never worked before using G Search. Now it comes up with a list. Beautiful - thank you

danipolo

Reaction score
danipolo, I don't think my contacts should have to be duplicated in a gmail account for the phone to work. Sure, I could try that and then, if it doesn't work, what, go in and delete the duplicate contacts?

Here's a question, why doesn't the phone, I don't know, work?

:icon_ banana:

A) You are preaching to the choir. The phone SHOULD be searching exchange / other contacts. If they are searchable without voice search, they should be voice searchable.

B) All I was saying is that you should try one of the work-arounds, until hopefully google/motorola fixes the issue. If google/monotoral ever fixes the issue I will just delete the contacts from my gmail.

GeLopez

Reaction score
OK, I figured out a workaround for this issue. And it is related to importing contacts from gmail/exchange. The contacts apparently need to be on the actual phone for the voice search to find it.

You will be asked if you should import it into which account (I chose gmail, was previously on exchange)

i was also having problems getting a contact to show when sending a text message. but it seems that the contacts must be synced to google to be recognized. all good now!!!!

i can now say "send text to (contact)(message)" yeaaaaa

a 1 touch text msg!!!

jwd45244

Reaction score
If you are running 2.2 and you install the updated Google search and voice search it will work fine.

Benton

Reaction score
Just did a check using Voice Search, first time since 2.2 upgrade, works fine on my side.

foxtrotalot

Reaction score
OK, I figured out a workaround for this issue. And it is related to importing contacts from gmail/exchange. The contacts apparently need to be on the actual phone for the voice search to find it.

I did this exact thing and after that, it would find the person's name, but it would say, "add number" under it. The problem was that I now had duplicate entries in my Gmail contacts. I went to Gmail contacts, chose "more actions", and then "find and merge duplicates," and can now use the search key (spy glass) to voice dial perfectly. It took me all day today to work that out, but voila. :icon_ banana:

Davidd31415

Reaction score
So if I don't sync contacts with a gmail account I can not use the google voice search to call them?

darkshadowgirl

Reaction score
Apparently... EVen after I synced my contacts with Gmail.. it STIL Ldidnt work.. I think because the phone numbers were saved onthe phone and email zaddress were save in gmail and even if I merged the contacts in the phone it STILL didnt work.. And when I tried the method dani polo sugggested ... it some how exported EVERY SINGLE EMAIL ADDRESS EVER EMAILED in GMAIL.. which is 400 emails from the PAST 10 YEARS... Including OLD OLD OLD OLD AOL Accounts and loaded them ON TO MY DROID! WTF WTF WTF WTF!

I can't get it to work .I give up.