Can't Voice Search Contacts

LennyPK

Reaction score
No matter what I try, I cannot get voice commands to search my contacts list.

Let's say I have a contact simply named John with a mobile phone number only. I've tried "Call John", "Phone John", "Dial John", "Call John Mobile".... nothing works.

The Droid goes to a web search bringing back web results for "John".

Any ideas what's wrong?

stumpie

Reaction score
No matter what I try, I cannot get voice commands to search my contacts list.

Let's say I have a contact simply named John with a mobile phone number only. I've tried "Call John", "Phone John", "Dial John", "Call John Mobile".... nothing works.

The Droid goes to a web search bringing back web results for "John".

Any ideas what's wrong?

Try this ,, tap Menue , Search , Then tap the Mic on the top of the screen .. Now say " Call John "

I think this method makes it search the phone , not the internet ..

Good luck ..

OP
L

LennyPK

Reaction score
Well, I can get contacts up on the screen using the "Voice Dialer", but I thought the mike on the top of the screen next to Google search is supposed to check for a match in Contacts before going to the web.

MikeDroid

Reaction score
There are two 'voice' icons, one searches the web(very cool!) the other contacts. You are using the web one, use the other one..

osieko

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. I showed a guy at the Verizon store and he was stumped. My voice search does not search contacts in the "Car Home" and the general search. The Verizon guy's Droid worked, but mine does not. Looks like a bug that happens in some phones and not all.
Who do I talk to about this?

G8TR

Reaction score
Same problem here, contact voice dialer doesn't work.

CronoDL

Reaction score
Voice Dialer works for me. I'd have say something like "Call Candice Mobile" and it'll find it. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but good enough. The Voice Dialer is different from the Google Voice Search, which does search the web, as well as contacts, but it's definitely not as accurate as the voice dialer, and it gives you a list of search results instead of directly dialing.

mcmess

Reaction score
I believe your contacts have to be synced with GMail. I had a problem getting contacts to come up when creating a text message. After syncing with my GMail account it works fine.

danipolo

Reaction score
I have 3 droids. 1 works, 2 does not. it seems like the droid that works had the contacts imported from a SIM card. while the other 2 had contacts imported from exchange. Anyone else find this to be the case?

I have had my phone physically replaced without success. I have spoken with the level 2 at Motorola as well without any luck.

danipolo

Reaction score
OK, I figured out a workaround for this issue. And it is related to importing contacts from gmail/exchange. The contacts apparently need to be on the actual phone for the voice search to find it.

From contacts --> Menu --> Import/Export --> Export to SD Card
Contacts --> Menu --> Import/Export --> Import from SD Card
You will be asked if you should import it into which account (I chose gmail, was previously on exchange)

after import is complete, voice search contacts should work.

1stdroid

Reaction score
The voice dialer on my droid has never worked. Not even a little. I just tried it twice before writing this post and saying "call Denise" resulted in nothing the first time and asking me if I wanted to call Jason or Casey the second time.

I speak clearly at an average pace. I find this really frustrating. I used the voice dialer on my razr for common contacts for 3 years and rarely had a problem.

The (at least my) droid has a problem with voice commands. It's so bad, I don't even have the shortcut on any home screens. It really sucks.

Any advice or just forget about this feature?