Voice command not on the bionic search button anymore

skifreak

Reaction score
Where did it go? I used to long press that button and say 'Navigate to XXX' and now i get google.com?

Bacchus224

Reaction score
On my Bionic when I press the search button, Google Now comes up waiting to listen and I say 'call xxx'. It then places the call. Coming up ready to listen seems to be car dock behavior. Off the dock, when it comes up you have to say Google to activate the voice search.

dashaus28

Reaction score
Skifreak, Google now basically functions the same as the old voice actions, I haven't found a command I used that doesn't work now..and it seems more accurate

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
I disagree. I long press the right most button like I used to and say 'navigate to ...' and all i get is a screen that has a cursor on the line that says, "search or say google". When I am driving I rely on that 'Quick Navigation' to get me to my next destination. I now have to pull over and go to the navigation icon. I personally hope the Bionic doesn't get any more updates. I had to do a FDR on both ICS and now JB. That does not make me a happy camper. Which is why I hope to root my phone in the near future. (climbing down from soap box) lol

imvern

Reaction score
Where did it go? I used to long press that button and say 'Navigate to XXX' and now i get google.com?

Here is what l found.
The up grade from ICS to JB resulted in the loss of the long push "Voice Actions" function on the search button located in the corner of the phone this is a significant setback.

I can no longer just long push the search button and say "Navigate to anywhere", "Locate XYZ", or "Map city name" all of these would take us to a satellite view. I cannot just say "Call 5551234555". All of these now require talking to Google first. The time delay is excessive. It's now faster just to use the dialer.

The "Voice Actions" quietly presented us with a pleasant black with red screen, that was 99% accurate in understanding.

The new "Voice Search" is bright white and don't have a "Night" mode. The accompanying sound is irritating and needs a setting to be able to turn it off. The voice recognition accuracy on this white screen has been reduced to less than 50%.

dashaus28

Reaction score
I disagree. I long press the right most button like I used to and say 'navigate to ...' and all i get is a screen that has a cursor on the line that says, "search or say google". When I am driving I rely on that 'Quick Navigation' to get me to my next destination. I now have to pull over and go to the navigation icon. I personally hope the Bionic doesn't get any more updates. I had to do a FDR on both ICS and now JB. That does not make me a happy camper. Which is why I hope to root my phone in the near future. (climbing down from soap box) lol

If you say"Google" when it asks then you can start talking and use navigate, call, text just like before. If you use a car dock, the button for the voice commands bypasses that and hours straight to voice commands but it sounds like you don't use a dock.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
So basically my phone can't even be used as an anchor? lol I did notice it got even slower and I just put on enough stuff to get me by until I make a decision about a new phone or just deal. I will NOT do another upgrade unless rooted. FDRs are a pain when everything is just the way you like it.

dashaus28

Reaction score
Also the Motorola voice commands was updated, if you double tap the home button it should bring that one up, that might be more your style instead of the Google now interface.

Nevermind, I just checked and I don't think it takes the navigate command anymore but calling texting and email still work from it.

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
If you say"Google" when it asks then you can start talking and use navigate, call, text just like before. If you use a car dock, the button for the voice commands bypasses that and hours straight to voice commands but it sounds like you don't use a dock.

you found it! so now I have to always say Google first. Boy talk about a sub liminal.. I will be saying Google all the time (I use Yahoo search over google) LOL

Thank you!

dashaus28

Reaction score
you found it! so now I have to always say Google first. Boy talk about a sub liminal.. I will be saying Google all the time (I use Yahoo search over google) LOL

Thank you!

No problem glad we figured it out :)

imvern

Reaction score

Apparently no one understands what we lost. What we are left with is a poor substitute for what we had.
This is how it worked before.

[video=youtube;qE3kvG38MT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE3kvG38MT0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

walkerstempe

Reaction score
Hit the search button, Google comes up, press the mike, and speak. Pretty easy to me. Just did it for the first time after reading the concern about the "old" way.
I didn't call "Google"
Figure it out people
Stock, too lazy to hack. Still just a phone with some goodies on it. Bionic lap dock, car dock, and desk dock. HDMI cable to my HDTV. Still trying to figure out why should I upgrade in September. Red dot inside Bionic running JB strong.