Voice command Qs....

johnshenry

Reaction score
I'm a new Droid owner and really enjoying these phones. I am confused by the voice commands however and would really like them work the way I want them to. So a few questions:

If I press the microphone hard key on the key pad and say "Navigate Home", it pulls up a bunch of odd destinations as choices, this in spite of the fact in my contact list I have my "Home" number with my home street address. Is there a away to get the voice commands to look at your contact list for targets? Different command? (I tried "navigate to contact home")

I have on my desktop the "voice commands" app (app open, screen "Say a Command" "Listening......"). I did turn off the voice prompts (annoying) but it does not seem to do the same thing as pressing the microphone button on the keypad. I can press the keypad one with no app open and just say "navigate to Taco Bell" and it seems to work. What is the difference between the VC app and what this button does?

Do I HAVEto "slide" unlock this phone to answer a call!? This is idiotic. I went to settings/locations / security and selected set up screen lock and THINK I turned it off, but the damn thing still locks itself.

Thanks for any help. I *did* search the forums for answers to these but have not found anything as yet......

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As for your first question I think you have to set up home in google maps, its been a while since I set up my phone but I have no home in contacts and I do in google maps.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

dcook12

Reaction score
I'm a new Droid owner and really enjoying these phones. I am confused by the voice commands however and would really like them work the way I want them to. So a few questions:

If I press the microphone hard key on the key pad and say "Navigate Home", it pulls up a bunch of odd destinations as choices, this in spite of the fact in my contact list I have my "Home" number with my home street address. Is there a away to get the voice commands to look at your contact list for targets? Different command? (I tried "navigate to contact home")

I have on my desktop the "voice commands" app (app open, screen "Say a Command" "Listening......"). I did turn off the voice prompts (annoying) but it does not seem to do the same thing as pressing the microphone button on the keypad. I can press the keypad one with no app open and just say "navigate to Taco Bell" and it seems to work. What is the difference between the VC app and what this button does?

Do I HAVEto "slide" unlock this phone to answer a call!? This is idiotic. I went to settings/locations / security and selected set up screen lock and THINK I turned it off, but the damn thing still locks itself.

Thanks for any help. I *did* search the forums for answers to these but have not found anything as yet......

The unlock slider question for answering the phone... Easy Answer is in the market free for my Droid 1. There is no slider when you get a call...It just comes up with the two buttons...answer or decline. I love it because if you are using one hand and are challenged like me...I have missed many a call trying to hit the slider unlock first. This way you just hit the answer button. Some people have complained about lag, but I haven't had that problem. It is cool...and the slider lock is still there when you wake up your phone for security...It lagged the first time I downloaded it and then called myself..but that was it. Probably because it was an app that was run for the first time.

sharkerbaby

Reaction score
I'm confused. I am able to answer calls w/o "unlocking" my phone. I did not install a special app to allow me to do this so there must be some setting somewhere but it's been so long I don't remember.

OP
J

johnshenry

Reaction score
Bumping this,Voice Command app SUCKS. It never get right even part of the time. I say "Map of Hudson Massachusetts" and it tries to send an e-mail to someone in my contact list.

But the "microphone" button as an alternate keypad (for text messages, mail, etc.) nails the speech recognition almost every time. I realize that the mic button is just an alternate means of text entry and offered on the screen when text is need IN an app (also "Speak Destination" in the navigator works perfectly), the voice commands app on my desktop's ability to launch the right app is miserable.

Am I missing something? Are there better 3rd party voice command apps that you can get? I'd like to be able to say "Call Dominos, Manchester New Hampshire" for example and have that work....

Overall this phone is great, but some things just plain don't work...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bumping this,Voice Command app SUCKS. It never get right even part of the time. I say "Map of Hudson Massachusetts" and it tries to send an e-mail to someone in my contact list.

But the "microphone" button as an alternate keypad (for text messages, mail, etc.) nails the speech recognition almost every time. I realize that the mic button is just an alternate means of text entry and offered on the screen when text is need IN an app (also "Speak Destination" in the navigator works perfectly), the voice commands app on my desktop's ability to launch the right app is miserable.

Am I missing something? Are there better 3rd party voice command apps that you can get? I'd like to be able to say "Call Dominos, Manchester New Hampshire" for example and have that work....

Overall this phone is great, but some things just plain don't work...

Well, sorry you're having bad luck. For me voice command works pretty well. Last week I used it to navigate to a Conrads for service on my car. It brought up the list of Conrads in the area, I selected the one I wanted and off I went. I can use it to make calls or just for searching.

I will say however that you're not the only one who has difficulty with it. I know others have said the same thing.

It won't call numbers that aren't in your contact list. So unless Dominoes is on your list that won't happen. I ordered some Chinese the other day. Simple as can be, "call Chinese" and it went right into my contacts.

brando56894

Reaction score
This has been confusing me also. If I say "Navigate Home" it gives me all random options for places that include home in the name, even though I have my street address in my contact list (if thats not what its for, why include it?). Yet if I say "Navigate to [my address]" it works great.

One thing that one of my friends told me seemed to help a lot and I dont know if its true, but login to google voice once and speech recognition should be vastly improved. It works for me but I'd still like to know how to navigate to contacts also.