Voice calls use a lot of battery

anewday

Reaction score
Almost 1d 12h since last unplugged. Battery is 40% remaining. I haven't browsed the net and sent/received a few text messages.

How can only 20m of voice calls use 21%? :icon_eek:

Phone Idle
28%
1d 10h 32m

Cell Standby
22%
1d 11h 49m

Voice Calls
21%
20m 39s

Display
17%
1h 17m

Last edited:

Potty Time

Reaction score
were you perhaps in a low signal area thereby causing the radio to have to work harder whilst you were in the call? voice call should indeed use quite a bit of battery but that 21% does seem quite odd (i would expect it to be in the 12-17% range personally)

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
were you perhaps in a low signal area thereby causing the radio to have to work harder whilst you were in the call? voice call should indeed use quite a bit of battery but that 21% does seem quite odd (i would expect it to be in the 12-17% range personally)

Off topic but are those speeds from your phone?

The ones in ur sig that is

droidman101

Reaction score
Almost 1d 12h since last unplugged. Battery is 40% remaining. I haven't browsed the net and sent/received a few text messages.

Phone Idle
28%
1d 10h 32m

Cell Standby
22%
1d 11h 49m

Voice Calls
21%
20m 39s

Display
17%
1h 17m

That's 21% of battery used so it would actually be 21% of battery used which is 60% so the real % is 12.6%
Edit: fyi sound takes a TON of energy to transfer

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Phone Idle
28%
1d 10h 32m

Cell Standby
22%
1d 11h 49m

Voice Calls
21%
20m 39s

Display
17%
1h 17m

That's 21% of battery used so it would actually be 21% of battery used which is 60% so the real % is 12.6%
Edit: fyi sound takes a TON of energy to transfer

I was going to mention this same point. It appears that many people misread the "battery used" statistics on their phones.

The OP doesn't tell us whether the battery was at 100% when he removed it from the charger, but even if it was, he didn't use 21% of the battery making phone calls. He used 21% of the total 60% he had used making phone calls. And given his/her reported usage, the relative usage stats look about right.

It's also worth noting that the battery used stats can be misleading in other ways. For example, 13% of the usage isn't reported in the figures above. It's not clear how this "other" use is related to the categories the OP reports. For example, where is the battery use for "text messages?" Is there a category for keyboard use? After examining these stats on my phone repeatedly, I'm more or less convinced that they're useful mainly for identifying some huge unusual battery drain and not much else.

I might recommend experimenting with some of the other battery monitoring apps. One I've found that is relatively useful (emphasizing "relatively") is Battery Time where estimates of remaining time for particular categories (like "Talk time") are provided. It seems to provide something approaching a realistic view of battery use.

Finally a couple of other suggestions. First, battery use is not linear. The 10% use between 100% and 90% is not the same as the 10% use between 50% and 40%. Trying to extrapolate from a percentage used over a period of time is extremely difficult.

Second, those concerned about battery use would be well served by purchasing a second battery. (I picked one up for less than $15 on Amazon.) Before trying to figure out what the phone is doing, try different batteries and compare their performance. What may appear to be a phone issue may well be individual variation in batteries.

Potty Time

Reaction score

Off topic but are those speeds from your phone?

The ones in ur sig that is
yes sir!!:motdroidvert::motdroidvert::motdroidvert:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Someone could do the math (I don't have all the numbers)....A voice call drains approximately 2-3 times the "battery" per minute of use (i.e., you'd get about 4-5 hours for voice on a full battery).

So a 20 minute call could take approximately 6-8% of your total battery. 60% of your battery is gone, which equates to like 2-3 hours of voice call, so I'd expect your voice call usage to be between 11-16% of battery used.

Maybe you had a weak signal (and/or 1G service) on that call?

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
You should probably update your PRL (Preferred Roaming List) by dialing *228 and picking option two. That may help since it will give your phone an updated list of cell towers. It is wise to do this once a month since Verizon actually upgrades their network and builds more towers all the time ;)