Voice calls consuming massive amounts of battery. Battery Issue?

yougotmail18812

Reaction score
My Razr was taken off the charger with 100% charge just 8 hours ago and I currently have 40% battery left. So 60% has been consumed, 56% or 33.6% of my total battery was consumed by 40 minutes of voice calls. 16% of the use or 9.6% of the total battery was used by android os with a cpu total of 21m 23s with 623 bytes sent and 2.96 KB received. 13% of the consumption due to display, 6% phone idle, 6% standby,and 2% each to motorola services and android system. I feel like the calls for sure is excessive and possibly the android os too. I expected my battery to last a lot longer than it does and 2 and a half hours of voice calls can completely kill my battery...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't know how long you've had your phone, but if you started using it right at purchase (or out of the box from shipping), without first charging to 100% with power off, you are most likely not seeing the actual levels or amounts being used. There are MANY threads on here, the bulk of them I've been posting on, which describe this phenomenon, but the short answer is that the meter, which shows how much battery is left and from that calculations are done to determine how much is used by various programs, services, and components, is not accurately representing the true battery levels, capacity, and consumption.

Please follow these steps exactly.

At the end of your next day (or when you can be without the phone for 3 or 4 hours), power the phone off by waking it, then pressing and holding the power button. At the next menu, choose "Power off".

Now, in steps 1 through 3, follow them exactly as described:

1. Plug in the Motorola Stock charger with the Motorola USB Charging and Data cable. It's VERY important that you use BOTH the factory issued charging components. The phone will boot into Charge only mode and you'll see a large animated battery with a numeric percentage of charge represented in the middle. After about 10 seconds, the display will go black. Allow it to charge until the animated battery displays 100%. To check, press the VOLUME DOWN button (thanks Trash Can). You can alternatively press the Power button, but if pressed for too long it will cause the phone to boot, so using the Volume Down button accomplishes the same task without the risk of booting the phone.
  2. Once the charge is complete, disconnect the charger, boot the phone and use as normal, but pay attention to the battery level as it nears 15%. Once the phone reports "Low battery" and suggests you charge the phone, at that point power it off again.
  3. Now, repeat step one. Once done, power the phone as normal and your troubles with the battery consumption will likely be gone.
In summary, it's 3 steps, charge to 100% with power off, use to 15%, charge to 100% with power off. This 3 step process should be repeated about every 2-3 months depending on your usage pattern. If you are a heavy user and charge frequently and also overnight, perform this process every 1-2 months, whereas if you are a light user and typically end your day with 30% to 50% remaining before charging overnight, perform this process once every 2-3 months.

If you want to know all the reasons behind this, see http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/208467-battery-charging.html#post2107132 or go to BatteryUniversity.com for the full scoop and more.