[VIDEO] Samsung Tizen Prototype Smartphone

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;x5FJnsneGI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x5FJnsneGI0[/video]​

Our friends over at Phandroid got some hands on time with a prototype handset by Samsung running Tizen, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with what I see so far. What I particularly find interesting, is that from watching the video, it looks like a 'skinned' version of Android. You'll see the familiar widgets, back/home/menu buttons, notification center etc. If I was told this handset was running Android I wouldn't have second guessed it. The 'round icons' are understated and really seem to fit nicely into the entire theme of the OS. I also am very fond of how you can resize the icons on the home screen giving the handset a sort of Windows Phone feel. When you resize the icon it turns it into a widget. Should we call them Wicons?

What you will notice is that Tizen isn't exactly a finished product--yet. It's still a little rough around the edges and a little laggy. From what I see though it is looking like a very promising platform and Samsung has already proven they can build one heck of a nice looking UI aka Magazine UX. Hopefully this year we should start seeing some Tizen based handsets hitting he scene, but right now nobody really knows anything. The questions still remain. When and where will Samsung announce a Tizen based smartphone.

Check out the video and share your thoughts in the comments below

Caesars

Reaction score
I've been waiting for a 3rd major player for an OS, I was really hoping Windows would take off (just waiting for a high end t-mobile Nokia device). However something like this may beat Windows to the punch - a super high end phone with tizen (which still looks like touch wiz to myself) may accomplish that.

Either way... More options (with dev support) =consumers winning :).

Note 3 ~ 5s

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like the look of Tizen and yeah we need more competition as competition helps push the envelope. Adding another os to the mix will help keep things fresh as it will keep Google and ios looking to do what they need to do to keep people coming back or end up by the waste side like RIM.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I've been waiting for a 3rd major player for an OS, I was really hoping Windows would take off (just waiting for a high end t-mobile Nokia device). However something like this may beat Windows to the punch - a super high end phone with tizen (which still looks like touch wiz to myself) may accomplish that.

Either way... More options (with dev support) =consumers winning :).

Note 3 ~ 5s
I still think Windows Phone has a chance. I've been on it for close to a year and still love it. With WP 8.1 right around the corner hopefully the slow growth will continue, we'll see. I'm with you though. We really do need a strong 3rd MAJOR player in the mobile OS game

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sure looks a ton like Android. Considering both are open source, I wonder how much was borrowed from Android. I think the only thing Tizen has going for it is Samsung itself. Samsung has such a large market share that people may buy the next great Samsung phone without realizing its not Android. They will realize it when apps aren't compatible.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Sure looks a ton like Android. Considering both are open source, I wonder how much was borrowed from Android. I think the only thing Tizen has going for it is Samsung itself. Samsung has such a large market share that people may buy the next great Samsung phone without realizing its not Android. They will realize it when apps aren't compatible.
Actually the apps will be compatible via the Polaris App Generator. No porting involved :) It's really a success waiting to happen

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Actually the apps will be compatible via the Polaris App Generator. No porting involved :) It's really a success waiting to happen

I'll stick with Android until Tizen gets some footing when it gets released. Maybe when Tizen is released Google will up their game and make Android even better.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Polaris App Generator ey? I saw a demo of it on their website, and it looks REALLY easy to port an app from APK to TPK. So easy, it's almost suspect.

Anyway, I agree Windows Phone has a chance.

My question is, if all these Mobile OS's are based off of Linux, then why is Samsung (or any other manufacturer) trying to reinvent the wheel?

Remember the Ubuntu Mobile OS ?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Polaris App Generator ey? I saw a demo of it on their website, and it looks REALLY easy to port an app from APK to TPK. So easy, it's almost suspect.

Anyway, I agree Windows Phone has a chance.

My question is, if all these Mobile OS's are based off of Linux, then why is Samsung (or any other manufacturer) trying to reinvent the wheel?

Remember the Ubuntu Mobile OS ?

I think it will be awhile before we see an os truly designed and built from the ground up again. As far as where Tizen will go from here is up in the air. But we are getting a taste in the form of the new wearables and touchwiz.

Be interesting to see how android fans react. Are we going to mirror iOS fans 4 years ago when Android came on the stage or are we going to be just as open to the idea of a new operating system on the block as we wanted iOS fans to be with Android.

And how will Tizen influence android to evolve?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk