Verizon's Samsung Galaxy S4 Now Getting an Update to VRUDMI; Still Only Android 4.2.2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-GalaxyS4-multi-shot.jpg

There are reports filtering in from users that the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 is receiving a new update rolling out now. The new version is VRUDMI. Sadly, it's not Android 4.3, and we are still just on Android 4.2.2. More than likely it simply fixes a few bugs and security issues. Of course, we will continue to update you if something bigger comes along, like Android 4.3. Sound off if you have started to get this update.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Before the Rezound got ICS it got a firmware update to ready it for ICS. Perhaps that's what's starting to roll out? ICS began pushing out within a couple of days of the first one so I guess we'll know by the weekend.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

joedirt2217

Reaction score
I got the update through the verizon update assistant software that asks to be installed when you connect your S4 to your computer via USB. I also heard the Kies works as well. Other than them adding the optical reader app, I haven't noticed any changes. (The update brings us from version VRUDME7 to VRUDMI1)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I believe I snagged the update file before completing the process using the VZW upgrade assistant, but it's a .enc2, so I'm not sure what/if anything can be done to flash it, or if it's just a download file. It weighs in at a hefty 1.8GB, so I could be totally off here. More than willing to upload/share it tomorrow evening if it's not available easier by then and if anyone thinks they can make it usable.

The path I found it in was in the VZW folder(s), the last of which was "SCH-I545_I545VRUDMI1_HOME".

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Scratch my last post. The folder I mentioned was replaced by one called "unzip" with a download file in it. The phone itself downloaded the file during the process. No luck catching it.

Sent from my GS4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Takes about 45 minutes or so if you go through the install of the upgrade assistant. Probably not worth the effort of it becomes OTA.

Sent from my GS4

Tankwylde

Reaction score
I got it. Just some bug fixes and a few changes in the settings. Nothing special