Verizon's CFO Says that "unlimited" is "just a word" and "doesn't mean anything."

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only time you need "mobile" data is-----------well, of course-----when you are mobile.

And I disagree with that stance Verizon has taken. These used to be mobile phones. They've now replaced landlines for the most part. With the way usage and the networks are evolving, its not just mobile data anymore. Especially, like previously mentioned, 4G is faster than a lot of home based internet providers.

Listen, I get Verizon has to make a buck and I get that when they introduced unlimited, this kind of data usage was never conceived. Verizon should focus on expanding the network to the point that they can realistically support that kind of usage. Charge a price competitive with my cell + home internet bill and call it a day. One bill for me, multiple services through you. Win win.

I truly hope this is the way "mobile" providers go in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

betteboop57

Reaction score
People need to start moving away from Verizon.. or this crap will just continue. Thank god my contract is up in a few months.

Yep, we're doing the same. Actually we just took 2 of our 4 off our plan & now have Sprint. These phones belong
to two 21 year olds and we weren't going to take a chance they go over a 'shared' plan of 4GB...especially since the primary on the account is on "unlimited" and uses over 9GB every month (lots of streaming)...me? I use less than 1/2 GB!
We were also informed that if the primary upgrades his phone, he will NOT be keeping the unlimited data plan. He won't be grandfathered in. He'll be going to Sprint come March '13 and I'll be leaving as soon as my contract is up; unfortunately that isn't until January '14.

SunsNut

Reaction score
Well, I saw on the TV the other night that ATT is now going the way of VZW with the share everything plan. NOT good for the consumer. Corporate greed is absolutely ruining this country along with too much government control, restrictions, regulations, taxes etc. and don't even get me started on how the eco-nazi's have the governmental bureaocats believing we have to save every purple spotted cricket so a particular piece of land is sacred for them! The American people have been complacent for so long that big money knows they can pretty much get away with anything and we'll all adapt. That is so sad and so much BS.

I am grandfathered in to the unlimited data although I probably use less than 1GB a month. I don't use my Droid4 the way many people do. Like so many of the other responders on this forum I live in a VERY rural area and VZW is the ONLY reliable cell phone provider. I'm in the middle of the forest in a 160 acre community with the closest town almost 18 miles away. We are fortunate though that we were finally able to get off the God awful (and expensive) satellite internet and get unlimited wireless broadband for half the price. When I got my first smartphone my data plan was $15 a month for I forget how much data but I never went over since I used wifi for everything I did here at home, at the neighbors and my kids place down in Phoenix. When I found out the unlimited was going away I upgraded to the $30 unlimited plan and now I rarely use wifi. Why should I? I can only hope that Sprint will continue to offer their unlimited everything and that their coverage area will improve and expand to include more area. I've been with VZW for almost 11 years but feel no loyalty to them because I feel no loyalty from them. We pay just over $150 a month for 3 lines with only one of them being a smartphone with unlimited data. The other 2 phones ONLY talk not even text. We switched our landline to VZW and saved a lot of money versus Century Link when it's add a line for $9.99 or $12.32 with taxes.

Speaking of landlines, where do the companies (all the Bells) that provide landlines fit into the future scenario? You know they're losing customers. Why pay $25.99 plus tax for a phone line when you can switch to cell for less than half the cost? It will be very interesting to see how this all shakes out in the future. I can remember when I got my first "mobile" phone in the mid-80's which was hard wired in my car. It was $20 a month for 30 minutes and then hellacious overage charges after that. My first hand-held cell phone was $50 was 60 minutes. So technically I'm paying less money per voice minute now than I did back then. Of course there was no data back then, not even texting. Future technological advances will play a key role in where mobile usage fees go in the future. Should be interesting. Unfortunately I don't see any of the carriers doing anything fiscally great for the consumer. For them it's all about the almighty dollar. They have what people want and they know people are willing to pay for it. Why lower prices. People are conditioned to paying these high prices and will continue to do so to have what they want.

scottdave

Reaction score
If unlimited is meaningless, does that imply that limited is also meaningless.

So what he is saying that unlimited should be kind of like this joke: a man goes to a restaurant, and sees a sign reading 'Apple Pie, all you can eat for a dollar'. The man sits down and orders some of the pie. After taking two bites out of the pie, the waitress snaps up the plate. The man says 'hey wait a minute!' The waitress replies 'That's all you can eat... for a dollar'. I like Verizon's coverage. I don't think they can be beat, there. I would be happier if they just offered a 'rollover data' where if you didn't use all of your allowance last month, you can save it till next month.

David Scott

jseah

Reaction score
IMO they all suck lol if I had my way I'd be using WiFi for every call, text, and surf that I make and not pay any of the carriers a DIME !

I agree with everything you said. However, the problem is that the cable providers are also well aware that data usage is skyrocketing as well. It most likely won't be long before they start implementing data caps. I hear that Comcast and Time Warner are already looking into it.

jseah

Reaction score
I went to verizon yesterday. i have 2 smartphones on unlimited data i wanted to turn on my kids used iphone and add data then add a line for my other kid and add data plan. they tried their best to analyze what i use and justify getting a shared plan. it worked out to the same money but i would loose unlimited on my 2 phones......hmmmmmm No i said! she said but it wouldnt matter you dont use enough looking at the past 3 mo. to even worry about unlimited. i said but yeah i may need it because if i take a trip and play slacker radio for 10hrs while driving i will run over then what???? she had no answer.

The last time I was in a Verizon store, the rep asked me if I was interested in switching to shared everything. I told her that I had 5 smartphone lines, all with unlimited data, and what she thought I would say. She gave me a knowing look, and turned and walked away.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said. However, the problem is that the cable providers are also well aware that data usage is skyrocketing as well. It most likely won't be long before they start implementing data caps. I hear that Comcast and Time Warner are already looking into it.

Comcast actually has a data cap already, it's something like 200gb a month. Read the fine print. And satellite internet providers have always had their fair access/use policy.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

huskur

Reaction score
Comcast actually has a data cap already, it's something like 200gb a month. Read the fine print. And satellite internet providers have always had their fair access/use policy.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

Comcast is 250GB

geoff5093

Reaction score
Comcast is 250GB
The past few months Comcast has temporarily lifted the data cap, not sure why. I've gone over my cap a few times, so it's not as strict as mobile carriers are, however I'm sure if you hit 500GB in a month they are going to give you a warning.

GoldLock

Reaction score
marleyinoc said:
How does one go from "a small percentage of people are abusing the system" to "Verizon is justified for limiting everyone to an absurdly low data cap for about the same money?"

While there were a lot of other words piled in there, that seems the gist of it. Does not compute.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB

I'm just stating the facts, I'm not defending Verizon. If you read my post you'll note that I'm telling you why they did it, I'm not justifying their actions. Flat out, they are out to get money, and lots of it.

GoldLock

Reaction score
indythinker said:
Being populist from the warrior class (well guess we could be considered middle to working class), in closing let me say that here is one person (Goldlock) doing an experiment on "his employers" wireless internet service who when not abusing the service (as he defines abuse) gets around 10GBs now. We are two people on a 22GB data plan which gives us a shared plan of around 11GB each to do "some of the things" Goldlock considers abusive.

We don't know about switching to whomever based on our piss poor experience with ISPs (dial up, DSL, cable, satellite, or wireless) we've tried them all, but we do feel for families with children who have to share any of these networks, especially satellite or wireless. If one person can average about 10GBs when he's not abusing his usage, and a 2 person family uses 11GB each (being abusive or not) - can you imagine what a family of 3 or more, especially children as they are growing up can and most likely do use.

Goldlock did an experiment to see how much data usage he could abuse (his view) using his employers wireless service. A better test would be monitoring his own home wireless service data usage, what his wife uses (if he's married), throw in 1 to 2 to 3 or more children (invite neighbors over if necessary) and then we will have a more realistic picture of internet data usage that YES most likely will never again be UNLIMITED, so the term UNLIMITED should never again be used by any ISP - period.

I agree with you Indythinker, and I can come off sarcastic sometimes. A better test could've been multiple lines and liberal modern usage to really see how much the truly modern family would use. When I said abusing I'm coming from the way VZW looks at "abuse". But screw VZW for this reason, that they look at anything past 2GB as abuse. The real abuse comes from those nuking a freaking 1TB of data/month. And its real fact that they slow down the all hailed superfast 4G LTE network VZW boasts. That kind if usage really does affect everyone else using smartphones. You guys (indythinker & family) could be considered avid users, and if I actually met you in the store I'd be happy that you guys are really getting into your first smartphone experience. Can't control the prices though, lol.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
I wish I had time to read all of the post, but can't. I do regret being respectful when I had unlimited. I have Tasker set to turn on wifi everywhere I can get a wifi connection, so when I'm doing my normal deal. I probably only use 1.5GB. Now if I go to the doctor or somewhere and watch some netflix it will get over 2GB, but if I go on vacation somewhere I will use a lot more and that was what unlimited was for me. It was knowing I wouldn't get a $60 overage charge on my limited trips from my home area. Now I will have to monitor and up my plan to cover it and that doesn't sound like it adds to the relaxing I want to do on vacation.

There are so many other things they could do to make this a much more reasonable change. First of all it should be a tiered plan. So the more you buy the more you get for you money just as cell phone plans have been for 16 years, but it isn't. Second, why should I have to buy data I don't use or worry about monitoring my plan. How about I approve up to $100 and they put me on the plan I need each month and contact me if I get the 10GB limit I set. Then I can approve the next step and I don't have the feeling I'm getting screwed. Third, treat your VIP customers with respect and bonuses. I've been with these jackasses for 10 years now and now that mean nothing when it comes to plans, phone, and upgrades. My main line no longer gets earlier upgrade than the other lines, so the fact that I pay the entire bill means nothing. Last one I can think of at the moment. I now get speeds of almost 20GB/s at home and that is slower than my 40GB/s home service, but it's enough that I would for the first time think about only using wireless for data. That means I could drop my home service and add to my mobile to cover everything, but at the current pricing it would cost me 10 times as much or more, so that isn't going to happen and that is money Verizon will be losing any chance of getting from me. Oh that and the fact that I am for the first time thinking I will be going to a new provider next time.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, VZW charged more for Unlimited plans because at the time, they knew that nobody would use that much, the technology at the phone level just wasn't there.

It would be like the government setting "no speed limit" on interstates, knowing that the road only contained economy cars that struggle to hit even 100mph and that most drivers would chose to not drive that fast anyway... very easy to say "no limits" when most people don't have the means or desire to test that.

But a few years later tons of people start showing up in Ferrari's and Veyrons and suddenly they realize that people can take advantage of "unlimited speed limits" and they have to start taking steps to cut that back. In the traffic case, it is for safety, in VZW's it is purely profit.

It's easy to charge people a premium for something that they can't really take advantage of. But once they can, suddenly it isn't as much of a cash cow for them and they start scaling back the service and increasing the price.

It's not about you the customers, it's about the stock holders. They only care about you to the extent that they hope that enough of you don't leave and upset the investors. Other than that, they don't care if you live or die, let alone enjoy their network. You are fodder for their bottom line, nothing more.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
They should have just charged more for the unlimited plan and offer lower plans for those that didn't see it cost effective to pay the premium. This would have upset way less people and let people of all levels be at least ok with the deal. I guess I'll just throw more money at my plan and not worry for now.

I noticed ATT just switched to a very similar looking plan as if they talked about this together.