Verizon replacement phone after cheesecake update?

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Anyone know Verizons stance on replacement phones when the original phone has an upgraded kernel? A while back I loaded the 5.5.893 thru cheesecake in hopes of some relief......

No relief and the data drops and BSOD's have been getting worse week by week.

Has anyone sent back an altered phone, and if so, what was the result?

Wishbone

Reaction score
I've sent back a few rooted and romed phones. BUT I sbf them prior to returning to vzw/asurion

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Wishbone

Reaction score
Any phone can be sbfed back to stock using rsd lite.

OP
M

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Any phone can be sbfed back to stock using rsd lite.

I appreciate the attempt to help, unfortunately with the Bionic's locked bootloader, the kernal doesn't get changed with the FXZ reload.

JNT - yes, there is a radio zip floating around, but it's not good for a whole lot in my opinion...... you then have mismatched radio/kernel and still can't update.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
if you send it back with anything but the stock radio/kernel be prepared for VZW to charge you full retail for the replacement.
granted, MOST of the people who reflash the phones dont take the time to look at them.. they just plug in the factory cable and load the stock firmware as quickly as possible. but in the rare case that one of them does look or if there is a problem with flashing due to the wrong kernel/baseband being installed.. be ready to be bent over a barrel.

OP
M

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Just a little update......

Got the replacement phone today, I haven't even activated it yet. Before I got excited, I figured I should call tech support and ask their opinion on my situation being completely up front. I explained that I downloaded and installed the 5.5.893 update previous to it's release and that I was hesitant to return my original phone because of it for fear of being charged full price. I'll start by saying yes, it was V tech support, but she was direct in her answer of "it's not a problem in any way" and understood why I was calling. She said the first thing they do is a full wipe/reload back to stock no matter what. I'll take her at her word lol.

I'm hoping that Verizon realizes that many of us have put up with less than stellar performance from a brand new, top of the line (at the time and really, still today) phone and is being understandable about the situation.

That being said, are phones that come stock 5.5.893 able to be rooted? I could live without it being rooted if it worked 100%, but would still rather have root for a few things like MyBackupPro and such. Any ideas? I figure tonight I undo foreverroot and return it to stock minus the kernal/radio after a full backup and send it back tomorrow...... now if only this is one of the phones that is working correctly!