Verizon Rant Follow Up: Using 1TB Of Unlimited Data In One Month

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Aug 30, 2015.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,235

About a month ago I posted a lengthy rant about an experience I had in a local Verizon Wireless Corporate store. The short version of the story is that the staff their refused to sell me a phone for cash stating that I would lose my unlimited data. I have since purchased a phone from Verizon's online store and used my own sim. Nothing happened I did not lose my unlimited data. The whole experience got my blood boiling though.

I decided to try a little experiment to see just how much data I could use in one month with my unlimited data package. The thought was that If they are getting ready to give us unlimited data grandfathered users the boot I might as well take advantage of the unlimited data package that I had.

I started out just trying to use my data pretty heavily. I even tried doing some tethering but even at that it was hard for me to use more than 10GB a day. If I was going to get to my goal of 1TB in a moth I was going to really have to ramp things up. I did a quick google search for 1GB test file and found a site that had several test files. I began downloading about fifteen 1GB test files at a time and was able to download about 50GB per day this way.

After several days of this I had reached 350GB and was growing a bit weary. I had to constantly be adding files to the download que and this was all causing my phone to overheat to the pointe of making it reboot, and was also draining the battery like crazy. After about two weeks of this I reached 500GB and decided to call it quits. I ended up using a bit more than 520GB for the month. I was surprised that Verizon did not throttle me in any way. What is the most data you have ever been able to use in one month?
    I found it really hard to use more than about 100GB just doing normal stuff.

#1 DroidModderX, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +117
    I think I've used a few hundred before, but that was mostly just watching movies on my phone.

I'm not sure about Verizon but I have tmobile and they actually advertise and promote things like Netflix. It really comes in handy when company is over or I'm away from consistent WiFi .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

3. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I think the way DMX tried using it wasn't actually a true representation of how much one can use while actually using your device. I've gotten as high as 243 gig before, back when I took some time off for shoulder surgery.
    There's no way you could use a TB a month. Cool test regardless.
    IMO, it's actually quite easy to use over a 100 a month. I regularly use 25 a month just on YouTube alone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bmwnick

bmwnick Member

Ratings:
    +9
    most ive used is 220gb in 1 cycle. Mainly from downloading stuff

• Like Like x 1
  5. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +907
    The only time I've EVER gone over 35gb a month was while using my tether in the field.... and that was once about 4 years ago... used almost 100gb playing lotro and watching youtube

6. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Wow. The highest I've ever gotten was 12 gigs..now..one month I did let my son use my WiFi hotspot when i was home because time warner was messing up their WiFi.. He got up to 40 gigs.. But wow..never anything higher than that

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rognish

Rognish Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Twitter:
    rognish
    There's two part's of the video, the first part was trying to buy the phone and then the second part was the data usage. I can speak on the first part because I had a similar thing happen to myself. When the Turbo came out last year, My wife's contract was about 1-2 months being fulfilled and her Razr Mini was acting up. I went in and tried to buy the turbo and they would not sell it to me. They said that for the first 2 months of the phone release they would only sell the phones for contracts. I was baffled also, how could they not want to sell a phone outright. I went out shaking my head just not understanding them.

If you want to buy a new phone from Verizon you can go to Verizon Wireless and order your phone from verizon and bypass the stores.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I don't even use the 5GB that're included in my plan each month. I've only gotten close to 4 a couple times since getting my Note 4 at release.

I do use around 20 or so GB on wifi each month though. I do most of my content consumption at home and my home network speeds are consistently about twice what I get on LTE and I have no cap.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I almost hit 2GB once when I used to be on Verizon unlimited data.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 2
  10. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Crazy! Fantastic experiment! Thanks for this awesome idea!

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikabl

mikabl New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I have 2 unlimited lines on my account, both average 15gb a month. If we ever lost unlimited, Verizon will lose us.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    I hit over 100GB one month, in part because of tethering and uploading my music library to Google Music. Curiously enough, it was going way faster than my UVerse home internet (don't know if AT&T was throttling my uploading or u/l bandwidth is that meager).

So, yeah, if I wanted to do this test I could probably easily max it out uploading, clearing and re-uploading my music collection to the cloud.