Verizon Note 5 Root Bounty Reaches $780

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

With root protection built directly into KNOX it would appear that the Note 5 would be unrootable. Many devices have been labeled as unrootable by reputable security experts and still they were rooted. Where there is a will there is a way. Who knows, maybe Knox could be disabled in a way that this would not be an issue. I believe that root is possible we may just not see it for quite a while.

For a device like the Note 5 to be rooted we are going to need a lot of developer and security expert eyes on this. A Bounty thread has been started and there are a few faithful posters. So far we have a bounty of nearly $800! The Galaxy S5 bounty had grown to $20,000 before the right developer came along. I imagine this root method may require the same. Then again some security experts will tell you that a root method for this device would be far more valuable than $20k. The iOS 9 jailbreak will net the developer who comes up with it first $1million!

Time will tell whether or not we see root. I have a feeling that even if someone discovers a root method it may never see a public release. Head to the link below to submit your bounty.

via XDA

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Be interesting to see who will be able to collect that prize or will it be like the droid x and be uncrackable (or about time it does get cracked people had long moved on).

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Be interesting to see who will be able to collect that prize or will it be like the droid x and be uncrackable (or about time it does get cracked people had long moved on).
The Droid X had an Easy root app that rooted really quick. Or am I not thinking of this device.

droid-x-front-back_0.jpg

I miss that phone. It was great. I dropped it for the HTC Thundebolt. DOH!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Droid X had an Easy root app that rooted really quick. Or am I not thinking of this device.

droid-x-front-back_0.jpg

That is the device. For awhile they could not get around the bootloader which prevented it from reaching it's full potential for development like the og droid. It truly hindered development, especially with asop roms. Still for what the developers were able to do to get around the bootloader was impressive. I don't remember if the bootloader was ever really cracked on the DX...if so it was way after the fact when people had moved on. Still the DX set the trend for what we see in phones today....super thin, screen, and no kb.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Are we talking root or unlocked bootloader? I see those as two separate things.

* Wish I got into Linux and java. I could use some extra cash.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are we talking root or unlocked bootloader? I see those as two separate things.

I agree the DX was able to be rooted, as I used the same method to root my droid 2. But unlocking the bootloader was the issue.

An unlocked bootloader makes things easier for rooting and recovering your device.

edit:

sorry I just read your question again. I was talking about the bootloader. Its getting late and im up watching MNF.

imycle

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
I am in for $50 for anyone that can root/unlock bootloader for a SM-N920V