Verizon getting rid of contracts and making changes to data plans Aug 13

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they want everyone off unlimited all they have to do is incorporate into their system that it will not accept unlimited data on every model after a certain point. They did it with feature phones to kill off unlimited Vcast pack and certain feature phones not using data plans at all. Since users were forced to buy data anyway they just upgraded to smartphones. Then they killed off unlimited data as a choice on smartphones at some point afterwards, which most have accepted and stayed with Verizon.
I hate to be crass but with 90+ million customers, if they lose a few hundred k users it'll be a drop in the bucket.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

grrouchie

Reaction score
Remember VZW allows you to upgrade 7 days before your actual contact date in case you want to avoid these new plans. The 7 days apply to authored retailers like Best Buy as well.
Forgot about this.
Though it looks like new way is cheaper in the long run for me.
Especially if i can pay off my phone early.
I've got to run the numbers but I'll do that later today

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Just got clarification from my Verizon rep, 2yr contracts WILL still be available with the new plans, but they are to be a last resort. Line access will be $40, just like now

Sent from my Verizon G4

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
It will be available for how long a year ?
Just got clarification from my Verizon rep, 2yr contracts WILL still be available with the new plans, but they are to be a last resort. Line access will be $40, just like now

Sent from my Verizon G4

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I hate to be crass but with 90+ million customers, if they lose a few hundred k users it'll be a drop in the bucket.

Yep, but they can't have more than like 2M users on unlimited at this point, and the "problem" ones using tons of data are a small fraction of that. Of course VZW would like to make more money off the legacy unlimited holders, but it's such a small number that it poses no issues for VZW.

As for ending the subsidies, this has been expected for at least a few years, back even before pulling the subsidy on unlimited plans. I don't think it's a response to TMo, I think the timing is right and TMo has gotten people used to the idea. VZW has been talking about getting out of the subsidy game for several years.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
As an example ; If you buy an $800 phone, pay $27 a month and leave after a few months (up to ~14 months) the final tally will be higher than $350 of the current etf so in essence you're still under contract (to the phone instead of the line) but have a higher etf. Just like the current etf it slides downward each month but by a different amount.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Yeah. A remarkably slow slide..I have 20 days left on the contract of 1 line..not a ud line..and they want to charge 120$ etf to shut it off 20 days early?? Come on..that's just being petty.. The slide should work on a realistic scale..this is ridiculous... I didn't say anything or complain..but I was sure thinking "any way to screw the customer!!!$$$$"

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I dont want to pay so much for these devices thats why i would do a 2 yr contract. im not paying 800 for a phone even over 2 yrs. I am going to move off Verizon and start looking at BLU or Elephone Options.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Remember VZW allows you to upgrade 7 days before your actual contact date in case you want to avoid these new plans. The 7 days apply to authored retailers like Best Buy as well.
I believe they still can do that but it has to be done through VZW over the phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I dont want to pay so much for these devices thats why i would do a 2 yr contract. im not paying 800 for a phone even over 2 yrs. I am going to move off Verizon and start looking at BLU or Elephone Options.

I think retail prices for phones have traditionally been inflated to drive you to sign a contract and so carriers sell enough to not eat big losses on their committed volumes.

In other words, take the carrier subsidy out of the picture and retail prices should drop to what the carrier pays, probably more like $500-$600 than $700-$800. Take the new Moto X, for example, which is rumored to sell unlocked directly for $500.

Add in competition and that specs are probably plateauing (at least as far as what we need the hardware capable of)...phone prices should come down even more. In a year or two, a brand new "mid-tier" device identical to the latest Moto X will probably sell for like $300.

I've never really understood the hate for contracts, but ending subsidies is actually a good thing because it was propping up the price.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I believe they still can do that but it has to be done through VZW over the phone.
I just did it last week for my wife. She got a S5 at Walmart for 97¢. This was done 5 days before her actual contract date. The night before that I used the Best Buy online upgrade checker (I guess that's what it's called) and it also told me that her line was eligible for an upgrade.

Hodor

Reaction score
I see a class action lawsuit coming. If I am paying "full price" now for "MY" phone, it better damn well be "MY" phone, with an unlocked bootloader and no verizon /3rd party crap on it! (or at least none I cant remove) And if I choose to remove it, it shouldn't affect any future upgrades either.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
T-Mobile also sell unlock with there crap apps. There no lawsuit I highly doubt Verizon will get one.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk