VCast??

Diggs

Reaction score
I was really getting into old Star Trek reruns on the VCast videos with my old phone (LG Voyager). Is VCast available on the Droid? I looked in the App library and could not find it.

Diggs

JayMonster

Reaction score
Thank Goodness NO!!

No, VCast apps on "feature phones" like the voyager are developed in BREW. BREW does not run on Android (thank goodness :icon_ devil:). Sorry you will be losing out on that feature which you enjoy, and I am not trying to be a smartass about it (well not too much), but not having VCast forced into the Droid has been generally been considered a major PLUS for the Droid as most people consider a vast majority of VCast apps... overpriced garbage.

Now... the good news. Go to the Marketplace and download the TV.COM application. All of the original series is there to be viewed under the "Classic TV Channel" and for FREE. (Plus many other shows :icon_ banana:).

moosc

Reaction score
No, VCast apps on "feature phones" like the voyager are developed in BREW. BREW does not run on Android (thank goodness :icon_ devil:). Sorry you will be losing out on that feature which you enjoy, and I am not trying to be a smartass about it (well not too much), but not having VCast forced into the Droid has been generally been considered a major PLUS for the Droid as most people consider a vast majority of VCast apps... overpriced garbage.

Now... the good news. Go to the Marketplace and download the TV.COM application. All of the original series is there to be viewed under the "Classic TV Channel" and for FREE. (Plus many other shows :icon_ banana:).
sorry buy vcast does run on smart phones i had it my bb storm1 thank you very much:blackberry:

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
try Jetflicks if you want to watch streaming TV shows... there is also an app to watch live tv (vuvision), but as of now it is only the basic channels (abc,nbc,cbs,fox etc)

JayMonster

Reaction score
sorry buy vcast does run on smart phones i had it my bb storm1 thank you very much:blackberry:

He mentioned the Voyager which is why I mentioned Feature Phones.

As for having it on your Blackberry Storm... well my condolences on having to put up with both VCast and the Storm. ;)

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I think I remember reading in one of the Droid reviews that Verizon would be creating apps for VCast and their Navigation (though I am not sure why anyone would pay for that when they get free Google Navigation).

JayMonster

Reaction score
I think I remember reading in one of the Droid reviews that Verizon would be creating apps for VCast and their Navigation (though I am not sure why anyone would pay for that when they get free Google Navigation).

well, technically they have already done this. If you note in the Droid version of the marketplace there is a VCast section, and Verizon's first two apps are in there. My Verizon (which is really nothing but a shell to a web page) and Visual Voicemail app (which is free, but $2.99/mo service charge from Verizon).

You are right though in Verizon has some more challenges in front of them in this regard. Why would anybody use VZW's Visual Voicemail if they can get Google Voice (or one of several other services) for free? And the My Verizon app? It is a joke. But despite the fact that Google Navigation is free, and things like TV.Com make things like VCast Video pointless and expensive, there are still people that will buy them... soo... I guess we can't blame them for trying.

Qarter

Reaction score
as one of the first G1 Users i am Happy to have a Droid.. YES NO VCast woohoo i gets it for free lol! i almost bought another phone just to get VCast.. SMH at myself lol

viperboy

Reaction score
As of right now, there are no plans for a port of BREW apps over to the Android platform. Personally, with all the apps and everything this phone can do, I don't see a need for it. This could change in the future, but for now, this is where it is.

JayMonster

Reaction score
well, based on what it seems VZW has done with the My Verizon and Visual Voicemail apps, I'd say not porting over more Brew applications is a VERY good thing.

Droid101

Reaction score
try Jetflicks if you want to watch streaming TV shows... there is also an app to watch live tv (vuvision), but as of now it is only the basic channels (abc,nbc,cbs,fox etc)

Currently Vuivision is down due to copyright so not sure how long it is gonna be for them. When I had my Blackberry I had this mobile tv app with Great video quality wish that they had it for android maybe soon.
MobiTV ® / Mobify your world

Last edited:

Firemedic

Reaction score
V Cast

Can't lie not losing sleep over it but some of the commercials show potentially neat insider content. So Paid for Vcast bad Free Vcast good.

supahrob

Reaction score
Can't lie not losing sleep over it but some of the commercials show potentially neat insider content. So Paid for Vcast bad Free Vcast good.

Yeah, I gotta agree - I am a big fan of "Lost" and I guess they have all kinds of cool stuff to watch on VCast, but nutin for the Droid.

Droid Does.... but not everything :(

Take care,
Rob

JayMonster

Reaction score
Yes... it is true... the Droid can't run apps built on other operating systems, in this case Brew (duh).

Of course, if you are willing to spend $15/month (the cost of VCast TV) to watch "Lost" on your phone... perhaps a smartphone isn't for you. :icon_ devil:

supahrob

Reaction score
Yes... it is true... the Droid can't run apps built on other operating systems, in this case Brew (duh).

Of course, if you are willing to spend $15/month (the cost of VCast TV) to watch "Lost" on your phone... perhaps a smartphone isn't for you. :icon_ devil:

Makes sense....someone asks about a feature and they are told that maybe they shouldn't own the device at all. I assume you work for Apple.

Take care,
Rob