Using Incredible while driving.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hi.

My boss recently bought an Incredible.

He's having a real problem using it while driving, especially considering the fact that he can't dial using his bluetooth headset.

Anyone have suggestions as to how he can streamline his calling and/or switching between calls?

Thanks
B

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a suggestion that I'm sure you boss won't appreciate. Pull over to the side of the road. Park. Talk on the phone.

wil318466

Reaction score
Hi.

My boss recently bought an Incredible.

He's having a real problem using it while driving, especially considering the fact that he can't dial using his bluetooth headset.

Anyone have suggestions as to how he can streamline his calling and/or switching between calls?

Thanks
B

Put direct dial contacts on a screen, so that one touch dialing is possible. Use voice dial when possible, to avoid looking down.

Obviously I won't condone people driving and talking, but everyone does it and its better to suggest better ways to do it than to say "pull over".

Direct dials and voice dial has made things pretty easy, for me at least.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
A rational suggestion, no doubt, but not entirely doable.

He runs a limousine service and often is under severe time constraints yet still must make phone calls.

Thanks though.

B

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First let me get you in the correct area. What about using Bluetooth? There are apps in the market that he can get so that he can do handsfree calling. Just requires pushing the camera button.

him

Reaction score
Vlingo is also an option...you can give commands like dial bob or dial whatever number. I use my droid on the GPS stand and dial that way

kmo

Reaction score
Personally I can't believe this was overlooked in the build of these phones, all my old cell phones had this feature. I don't like using my phone anyway in my car, but at times it's necessary. We have all this new technology at our finger tips and yet they couldn't give us bluetooth hands free dialing? Nuts, big oversight IMO.

borgey401

Reaction score
dont drive n talk problem solved and lifes saved ( most likely )

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
...get a BT headset with built-in voice dialing.

Personally, I don't take or place calls in my car. First, it's a manual and my hands are busy as it is. Second, it's a convertible so wind/engine/road noise is an issue anyway. Running a limo service is one thing but I've never found a personal (or work) call that was so urgent that it couldn't wait. Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited:
OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
dont drive n talk problem solved and lifes saved ( most likely )

Not necessarily.
With a bluetooth headset I only need to push one button to initiate a conversation. My eyes never leave the road.
Then it becomes no less distracting than having a conversation with someone else in my car.

Riddlin

Reaction score
The guy is asking a question, no need for smart asses to say dont drive and talk. I am willing to bet 100% of the people on these forums have driven and talked on the phone before.

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
I find the built in voice dialer to be a problem while driving. You have to pickup the phone and find/tap on the icon to start it. Then for me, the phone often doesn't understand me and prompts to make a selection via an on-screen pop-up that I have to read and tap, especially when a contact contains multiple phone numbers (for home, mobile, work). This is not welcome while I'm driving.

On the Incredible or the Droid, if you are using a standard BT headset there are three possible work arounds...

Voice Dialer HF (DFXmobile)
Choice Dialer
http://www.pwnwithyourphone.com/voice-confirming-dialer

You still have to handle the phone to start them... and due to Android limits, they use the phone's mic and speaker until the call is connected.

The other options...

1. Switch to a Moto Devour, as Moto has licensed and included Nuance VSuite to do the dialing (similar to BB, LG and other non-Android phones),

2. try to find and purchase a BT Headset that maintains a phonebook and does the dialing for you, (like the BlueAnt Q1 BlueAnt Q1 Voice Controlled Headset - BlueAnt Wireless which holds up to 8 numebers to "speed dial")

or

3. dump android until Google gets off its collective rear end and fixes -> Issue 1181 - android - [VoiceDial] Voice confirmation for Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code but since that has been open since Nov 2008, I doubt it will be any time soon :(

Of course, if he has an IN CAR SYSTEM (like MS Sync in Fords) that does the voice recognition and dialing, then its a non-issue.

Last edited:

Gadget_Queen

Reaction score
Hmm I guessed right on my poll. Droid doesn't want u talking while driving even if it's hands free. I get it. Next thing u know they'll take away my choice to vote. We only had that for 80 years but hey some male engineer decides he knows better. Yes it was a male

kmo

Reaction score
I'm certainly not an advocate of driving while talking/texting etc. and yes I have driven while talking on the phone. I try to stay away from using my cell unless I absolutely have to. I think people are VERY distracted in their cars with all the new gadgets in technology we have to play with. All that being said, I think whoever designed this phone (and any other android's) that don't have the bluetooth call feature have seriously overlooked something that should be there. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me... :icon_ nono2: Maybe we will get an update to correct this at some point. That would be nice.