Using GPS w/o WIFI/3G?

dAi

Reaction score
Is there anyway to use the GPS without WIFI or 3G? My mother has a gps and she uses it without data or wifi. It's just a GPS Navigator. Why does my mom's gps navigator doesn't need wifi or data but the droid x do?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to use the GPS without WIFI or 3G? My mother has a gps and she uses it without data or wifi. It's just a GPS Navigator. Why does my mom's gps navigator doesn't need wifi or data but the droid x do?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Really what you need is data, not wifi. Unless you're getting directions on where the bathroom is in McDonalds. :)

If your mother has a GPS, she's using some type of data. They don't work without it.

turdbogls

Reaction score
you basically have to cache the map while in a data zone. so look up the map with a connections, then turn off the connection and GPS. this will work temporarily but it is not a very reliable way to navigate.

what phone and what navigation is your mother using? either way you need some sort of data to download the map. Google Maps does support maps caching so if you loose data for a bit on in the middle of a trip you wont be screwed.

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
Navigon... Great app with all the maps stored to your SD. I love it!!!

No data needed. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

turdbogls

Reaction score

yeah for $60....if you are made of money i guess it is pretty sweet....but i will stick with my free google nav.

STEVESKI

Reaction score
It's simple. She has the maps loaded onto her navigation device. Google maps doesn't have the maps loaded onto your device, so you have to download it. The GPS functionality doesn't require any data, it's the maps that do. The only way to use it without data is to buy one of the apps that downloads them to your device such as Navigon, like DroidTh3ory said.

OP
D

dAi

Reaction score
Oh ok, thx guys. Navigon it is. On navigon, how do I use it avoiding tolls?

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com

yeah for $60....if you are made of money i guess it is pretty sweet....but i will stick with my free google nav.

Well, you wouldn't have to spend $60 if one were so inclined. Cough*** applanet ***Cough

:)