GPS possible on droid without 3G service?

redss

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the GPS feature of a Droid without subscribing to the 3G service?
I get "your current location is temporarily unavailable" in maps/navigation even while connected to wifi.

If it is possible, what app can I see my location in?

A.Brooks

Reaction score
I was using my GPS all the way down the highway yesterday even without signal, I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but GPS is totally different than your cell phone signal.

ktranger

Reaction score
Is it possible to use the GPS feature of a Droid without subscribing to the 3G service?
I get "your current location is temporarily unavailable" in maps/navigation even while connected to wifi.

I use my GPS just fine with no 3g service on the Verizon "Extended Network" and also when I have no cell service. Migh want to check your Location & Security settings ... make sure "Use GPS Sat.." is selected.

Ralph

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. GPS needs to be able to locate you in order to for you to have navigation. What do you mean by "without subscribing to the 3G service?" Do you not have service set up with Verizon? If not no, it won't work.

EtherGnat

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is what the OP was asking about, but I have a similar question.

Google maps does require a data connection. There are times I'd love to be able to have at least basic GPS available while not connected to a cellular network. In particular there have been a few times while flying I thought it would be fun to be able to see basically where I am in the US, speed, and so forth.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is what the OP was asking about, but I have a similar question.

Google maps does require a data connection. There are times I'd love to be able to have at least basic GPS available while not connected to a cellular network. In particular there have been a few times while flying I thought it would be fun to be able to see basically where I am in the US, speed, and so forth.

Any GPS app that does not require an internet connection to download map data will work with out having 3G coverage (IE out of service area, or in airplane mode)

For instance if you download GPS Status/Radar, you do not need any sort of data connection whatsoever to use the radar screen, get your lat/lon and compass.

EtherGnat

Reaction score
Hmm. I thought I had tried "GPS Status" on my last trip and it didn't work, but I may well be mistaken. I'll give it another try. Is there a free app that at least has a basic outline of US states (major roads a bonus)? Are there any paid standalone GPS apps worth noting?

tommyz

Reaction score
I put my phone into Airplane mode and the GPS wasn't able to get a fix. I think it does need some type of cell service to get started.

I was thinking about using it for GeoCaching where there is no cell service, but I don't think this is possible.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
If I put my Droid in airplane mode, which disables all cell phone, 3G, similar communication, I can still use the GPS.

If I try using Maps, obviously it can't download a map, BUT if I use google MyTracks, it still will accurately track my location without issue.

OP
R

redss

Reaction score
I installed the MyTracks app, and still no luck whatsoever. Locations & Security -> Use GPS satellites IS checked.

Could be that the GPS radio in my Droid is bad but I doubt it. Googling tells me that people are split between those who think GPS requires active cell service, and those who think that no service other than maybe wifi (which I have) is required.

So a good test would probably be to switch to airplane mode, then drive down the street and see if the GPS can track you.

But the best test would be to see if that works when you have not activated it with Verizon.

Has anybody tried either firsthand?

EtherGnat

Reaction score
GPS Status worked fine for me in flight mode. MyTracks appears to use Google Maps and thus require a data connection. I'd still love to find something with at least basic maps for use while flying; latitude and longitude don't mean much to me.

EtherGnat

Reaction score
Do you have a link for that app? Maybe I'm dumb but I'm having trouble finding it.

Slider46

Reaction score
Kinda pertains to the topic but I noticed that Google Navigation won't work without a data connection. I'm guessing it needs the data connection to download the map data, otherwise it would have to be cached on the phone - which takes a lot of space.

I'd assume that any other GPS app would just need GPS to track you on a map if the app included a map or multiple maps.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
Kinda pertains to the topic but I noticed that Google Navigation won't work without a data connection. I'm guessing it needs the data connection to download the map data, otherwise it would have to be cached on the phone - which takes a lot of space.

I'd assume that any other GPS app would just need GPS to track you on a map if the app included a map or multiple maps.

That does pertain to the topic and is what these apps are for, caching maps and using them with the GPS when data connection is not or might not be available. The two main apps I see being discussed in the other thread are:
MapDroyd
cap201003242224.jpg

and
OruxMaps
cap201003242225.jpg

I honestly haven't had the need for either yet, but from a quick glance at both, it seems Orux is the more refined of the two.