Google Maps "offline"

teroenza

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a Samsung fascinate running droid, and would like to use Google maps, specifically for navigation. However, I do not have 3G or any other data connection for places where wifi does not cover. Is there a way to download maps and data to my memory card so I can it as a GPS navigator?

Thanks

travisn000

Reaction score
The latest (v5) is suppose to have this feature natively... just route while you are on wifi and it should d/l the entire route using the new vector based "tiles". Note that this will only d/l info for that route, it does not allow d/l an entire city/state.

MOre info:
Google Maps 5 (With 3D Buildings And Offline Routing!) Now Available For Android

...there are other solutions that allow downloading sets of the old google map tiles, but you still need online access for routing / navigation. I believe that you may be able to route offline with some of the OpenStreet based apps, but I'm not sure about this (..I was trying something similar while in mexico recently, but had difficulty getting GPS to work when in airplane mode to prevent data usage... I have since read that you have to use one of the many "toggle" apps to disable data, but keep the cell on if you want to use the GPS)

EDIT:
There are also paid apps like CoPilot and Navigon...

Last edited:

ValkF6

Reaction score
There's an app called "CoPilot Live" that downloads maps to your phone instead of getting them as it needs them. I just tried it in airplane mode and it works using GPS.

OP
T

teroenza

Reaction score
Great, thanks. I will take a look at those apps.