using google voice for texting?

tktouch12

Reaction score
my dad will get me a droid, but he wants to cut my texting plan down to a really low amount.
i have a google voice account (i just realized i have it and dont know how it works), so can i use that for my texting? i dont get it.
can i just send and recieve texts from that number all the time if i get the app for droid and will that take away from my phone's texting plan? does the app have to be open?

please explain how that works. thanks

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Or is there a better way to text for free without using my plan's texts?

Dragoro

Reaction score
once you have the google voice app installed, I believe if the first time you try and text someone it asks you if you want to send through verizon or google voice. I use my reg number, but google voice for text. Think this makes it free, not sure though.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
So do the texts u send from your verizon number or your google voice number?

rothenbj

Reaction score
my dad will get me a droid, but he wants to cut my texting plan down to a really low amount.
i have a google voice account (i just realized i have it and dont know how it works), so can i use that for my texting? i dont get it.
can i just send and recieve texts from that number all the time if i get the app for droid and will that take away from my phone's texting plan? does the app have to be open?

Why are you worried. Texting is unlimited with the data plan.

Dragoro

Reaction score

Why are you worried. Texting is unlimited with the data plan.

Actually im pretty sure texting isnt included in data. Could be wrong though.

texasPI

Reaction score
yeah texting plan and data plan are different. Unless you meant texting through google voice over data then yes.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I use GoogleVoice for texting with my boyfriend (who is on ATT!! Eesh!)... I've checked my VZW records... none of our GV texts go through the 500 SMS package I have. So the use of GV only utilizes your data plan, but not your text package.

rothenbj

Reaction score
SOMEONE'S getting a high phone bill! Just kidding, probably.

Here's a thread that will solve your problems, OP.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2758-google-voice-faq.html

You right, I just looked at my bill, $600.

Only kidding. I guess all plans are not created equal-

PDA/Smartphone Nationwide Email & Messaging A bundled package with voice and wireless data for quick and easy remote access to email and attachments. Plus Unlimited Messaging with anyone in the U.S. on any network. Introducing Friends & Family®. *Unlimited calling to and from any 5 numbers on any network in America. Learn More Unlimited Text, Picture, Video & Instant Messaging Data usage from within the National Enhanced Services and the Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas Data Access for Emai Unlimited Calling to all Verizon Wireless Customer.......

I have a family plan with the above features so I do have unlimited texting, but not everyone does. I never text before the switch to Verizon. In a month my texts seriously outnumber my chargeable minutes.

Of course talktome keyboard makes texting easy

greenchicken

Reaction score
google voice texting is good, its not instant but good...
you can't send pictures with google voice (yet)

I give my google voice text number out to people I don't want to have my real cell number and there is an option for it to either show your actual phone number or the gv number I think.