Using Droid X as MP3 player in car/Class Audio Project

jdmpwr07

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a Droid X and I'm loving it. I have two quick questions for the veterans.

1. I intend to replace my iPod touch as my main MP3 player for my car. I currently have an Alpine CDA 9883 as my headunit. I also have the full speed connector for my iPod. It says in the owners manual that it has an AUX in port (assuming it's on the back). If it does, what would be needed to have it play in my car?

2. I am doing a video project in one of my classes and we are supposed to use a big ol' camera to shoot it. However, since my professor is awesome he said that if you have a cell phone with HD quality video that you can use it. Any problems or concerns I might have with using the Droid X as a camcorder? I am mostly worried about the sound quality.

Thanks Droiders.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use my Droid1 in the car via a cassette adapter and it works fine for me. If your car has a headphone jack you are all set. FM transmitters are another option.

As for the video sound on your DX I'd take a couple sample clips. Try one where someone is talking on a busy street, in a crowded room, some nature sounds, etc. That way you can determine if your phone's recorder will work out for your assignment or not.

the5barrons

Reaction score
my dx replaced my zune for mp3 in the car. So long as you don't mind interruptions from text notifications and such, its a perfect replacement.

The dx hasa wide variety of camcorder settings that allow it to be set up in a couple different configurations. Mainly for the speaker...in front, on top, or on the back...and a blend of all three, I think. Either way, with the speaker in front as your active mic input, interviewing should be a piece of cake.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

hyperlite

Reaction score
Yes, the aux port is on the back of your HU if it isn't obviously placed on the front. All you'll need is a male-to-male 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo cable available at radio shack, walmart, BB, Monoprice.com, whereever.

Video on the X is phenomenal, for a phone. As suggested, take some test clips to see if the video quality is up to your standard. In my opinion, audio quality in videos is phenomenal, period. To this day i'm astounded at the sensitivity of the mics in this thing. The camera also has multiple audio mode settings depending on what you're trying to record. "Concert" works best if you're recording something really loud...other than that, i typically leave it on the normal settings.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That was a GREAT CD player!! As mentioned, the AUX is on the back of it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

epiphone74

Reaction score
Nother recommendation

Might want to look at an app called power amp (free in app store)

Much better then the stock player...

Even has 10 band EQ built in...

Just my $.02

Semper Fi

Epiphone_74

OP
J

jdmpwr07

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses guys,

I talked to a friend of mine in car stereo and he said I needed that RCA to Aux cable. I'll go pick one up soon.

As for the project wish me luck. I just think it will be cool showing the presentations and having one that looks just as good that was produced on a phone :D