Droid X as dedicated mp3 player to replace ipod?

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
FYI the hiss I'm talking about is this (go to around the 20 second mark):
[video=youtube;O35lymxHaUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35lymxHaUE[/video]

Its just not as loud/overpowering as that. Perfect test for this is to put your volume to 0 before you start any music. Then press play. Do you hear anything?

I'm not looking for a high end audiophile device. I don't consider ipods, zunes, or sansa's those kind of devices either, but none of them have this problem. And my headphones are nothing amazing, just a typical pair of in-ear, noise isolating buds (and I know its not my headphones).

I just checked out my roommate's HTC Hero and it does the same thing. Maybe I'm just OCD, but this kind of thing drives me crazy and is unacceptable for a media player. Hopefully its just HTC and the DX will solve this problem.

Last edited:

the5barrons

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35lymxHaUE

....I'm not looking for a high end audiophile device. I don't consider ipods, zunes, or sansa's those kind of devices either, but none of them have this problem. And my headphones are nothing amazing, just a typical pair of in-ear, noise isolating buds (and I know its not my headphones).

I just checked out my roommate's HTC Hero and it does the same thing. Maybe I'm just OCD, but this kind of thing drives me crazy and is unacceptable for a media player. Hopefully its just HTC and the DX will solve this problem.

I'm not trying to OCD on your post, really...but I have a Zune, and family has iPods, etc...they most certainly do recreate noise. There is virtually no difference other than the way the program you are suing to play your digital files runs them through filters and EQ's that apply.

There is lots to say about the source, how an song was recorded, and to what kind of compression and file type it has been saved as, so that it creates the best playback, regardless of digital device used. This includes bitrate.

Simple filters such as a Dolby setting is more appropriate of a thing to look for because noise, unless generated by the equipment, is coming from the music file itself...I can only think is not coming from the DX.

I haven't layed it all out and tested each file and every type of player, and wont. I just don't feel that there is a problem with the DX.

Good luck with it.

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35lymxHaUE

....I'm not looking for a high end audiophile device. I don't consider ipods, zunes, or sansa's those kind of devices either, but none of them have this problem. And my headphones are nothing amazing, just a typical pair of in-ear, noise isolating buds (and I know its not my headphones).

I'm not trying to OCD on your post, really...but I have a Zune, and family has iPods, etc...they most certainly do recreate noise. There is virtually no difference other than the way the program you are suing to play your digital files runs them through filters and EQ's that apply.

There is lots to say about the source, how an song was recorded, and to what kind of compression and file type it has been saved as, so that it creates the best playback, regardless of digital device used. This includes bitrate.

Simple filters such as a Dolby setting is more appropriate of a thing to look for because noise, unless generated by the equipment, is coming from the music file itself...I can only think is not coming from the DX.

I haven't layed it all out and tested each file and every type of player, and wont. I just don't feel that there is a problem with the DX.

Good luck with it.

The problem is occurring with my Droid Incredible, which is why I am contemplating getting an X.

Most of my music is ripped from CD at -V0. I know plenty about bit rates, encoding, etc. I am sure without a doubt it is not my source music. Not a single other device that plays these files has this problem. It is a problem with the phone hardware, I'm guessing with the internal amplifier. That would explain why the hiss still occurs for a few seconds even after stopping - the amplifier remains active for that short time. I'm not saying other mp3 players don't add any hiss, but the amount added by the phone is a lot more. Cheap audio hardware...I guess they have to cut costs somewhere.

The whole reason I care about this is because I listen to my music at work at a very low volume. I have been listening to it for years this way on other devices without a problem.

the5barrons

Reaction score
I guess all you can do its try. Go to vzw, if you can, take your sd card and in ears....test.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

fluidj

Reaction score
I'd seriously take a look at the Fascinate if I were you. It has the best media player out of all the Android devices on Verizon. It also matches the size of the iPod a lot better than the X. It also has EQ options in the player and plays all music formats if i'm not mistaken.

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
The stock music player on the DX is garbage,IMO....It isnt as much the player but there is a software issue,which causes freezing of the phone,that only a reboot will fix,this is very annoying.I know it isnt just my DX,I have friends with them and theres do it too....with that said, otherwise im extremely impressed with every other aspect of the DX as a player,the sound quality,and levels are excellent thru the 3.5mm jack.I work outdoors and listen all day to slacker,and pandora(about 90% ofthe time)the music player about 10%,all thru ear buds,a battery lasts me 6-8 hrs of music playing,plus all my work related calls plus e mails,and texts.I pull it off the charger at 6am,and it the battery usually hits 30% by the time i plug it in at night around midnight.This is the ext life motorola 1930 mha battery....Im very pleased.
I am very impressed with the sound quality thru the mini usb,i have a pioneer cd player with USB input,and it toggles the music player thru the remote,it works amazingly well.
My new SONY MEX-BT2800 in dash has bluetooth audio,and let me tell you,the sound quality in my truck is as good as thru it as any source ive heard..I didnt expect crystal clear sound without using the 3.5mm plug or mini usb...was I wrong.....and my trucks system is pretty good,rockford fosgate 4 channel amp,and hi end components up front,2-10" subs under the rear seat,and 6.5 top of line 2 ways for rear fill....all installed and cables shielded properly,amplified and crossed over.....the DX is at least as good a source as the best CD I have,and no hiss at all at any volume levels thru any source....
IMO,before you spend moneyto switch phones,id try another DINC to see if its just your device,even try one in the stores if they still have them...my fiance has a DINC and its an awesome phone,screen and batt life aside,I see no reason to switch,I actually like some of the DINCs features better,and i think its snappier than the DX...just my opinion FWIW...

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
IMO,before you spend moneyto switch phones,id try another DINC to see if its just your device,even try one in the stores if they still have them...my fiance has a DINC and its an awesome phone,screen and batt life aside,I see no reason to switch,I actually like some of the DINCs features better,and i think its snappier than the DX...just my opinion FWIW...

I have a replacement Inc on the way already, but I have a feeling its just overall cheap hardware in all models. I like the quickness/smoothness of Sense and the Inc, but I'll sacrifice that for a bigger screen, much better battery life, and better sound qualit, among other things. Unfortunately I have no way to officially switch my Inc with X. If the overall Inc hardware is in fact at fault, I can try arguing with Verizon that its a fundamental device flaw that they can't fix with replacements and ask for an X (doubtful, though them already admitting it was a defect and sending me a replacement gives me some leverage) otherwise I guess I'll just head to ebay.