Droid X as dedicated mp3 player to replace ipod?

Detonation

Reaction score
I would like to get rid of my ipod so that I only have to carry around one device with me. I currently have a Droid Incredible but I've determined there's no way it could replace my ipod. The headphone has slight noise at low volumes (this is probably a defect, I have a refurb) and the battery barely lasts long enough as it is, let alone using it for music all day.

I've been thinking about switching to a Droid X. I really like the smooth/quickness of my Inc, but I think the Droid X is overall better. Bigger screen, much better battery life, questionably better signal/call quality, and its Verizon's current flagship phone, meaning more accessories and better support. I think the thing to push me over the edge is if it's good enough to be my dedicated mp3 player.

I have about 45GB of music so I obviously won't be able to carry it around all the time. The Inc could come close with a 32GB card and 8GB internal storage. I know the Droid X has 8gb internal as well, but apparently you can't write to that...its only for apps? Seems like kind of a waste since no one is ever going to fill it up with 8GB of apps, lets alone even 1 or 2 GB.

I like using the line out dock on my ipod for better SQ in my car (versus the 3.5mm jack). I realize this isn't an option with the DX, so I'm wondering how good the sound quality is at higher volumes (since I'd set the volume to 100% and then control the rest with my car stereo). I've found the DInc to become somewhat distorted when its real loud, but again this could be a defect. I'm not looking for audiophile quality, I just want it to sound as good as it does on my ipod or any other mp3 player I've owned.

Note that I don't need it for working out, I already have a Sansa Clip+ I use for that, which has a microsd slot - making it all more convenient for me to just swap a card between the droid and it.

And I don't want this to be an Inc vs X thread, but if any of you reading this happen to have come from an Inc, are there any complaints you have or things you miss (other than the Sense UI)?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is an app called PowerAmp... it gives EQ control that greatly helps improve sound quality when using your device as an mp3 player. :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! PowerAmp is awesome!!!

There is an app called PowerAmp... it gives EQ control that greatly helps improve sound quality when using your device as an mp3 player. :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Goodkat

Reaction score

QFT! I use a combination of Poweramp and iSyncr to make my X my primary media device, I felt like an idiot carrying around and iPod AND my phone. If you've got 45g of music, you're gonna want to start making playlists :). But as mentioned before, Poweramp is great. The quality is fantastic for the equalizer options, even for the free version.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
My biggest piece of advice would be to set the media volume on the phone to just under 100%. I know on my Droid, at 100%, I get a lot of background noise, but if I turn it down one notch (93%), it works just fine.

timrock

Reaction score
wow @ poweramp. I can view folders with this. Just what i needed. Goodbye Mixzing and Winamp.

on a side note, i think my phone has a short in the headset jack. everytime i move it around, the music stops.

Last edited:
OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation on Power Amp. Made music at higher volumes sound much better on my Inc. Unfortunately there's nothing that will remove the low volume noise since I'm fairly sure its hardware related (bad amp/dac).

Big Fate

Reaction score
My Droid X is my MP3 player... Sold the Ipod on Ebay as I didnt need it anymore.

With the usb output installed into my cd player in my car, I can also use the phone for music output thru my car. Love it and quality is great thru USB. I can scroll thru albums with a ease and with the addition of Audio tagger you can simply edit your tags for easy orginization. Also Album art grabber is nice too.

But i'm trying to figure out why you think powerAMP is anything better than Winamp or Mixzing?

timrock

Reaction score
But i'm trying to figure out why you think powerAMP is anything better than Winamp or Mixzing?

i like the folder feature. i usually just create folders and drop music in them. IMO, its better than creating a playlist. Mixzing and Winamp are still great though.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

i like the folder feature. i usually just create folders and drop music in them. IMO, its better than creating a playlist. Mixzing and Winamp are still great though.
They are still great players... but PowerAmp gives you the option to increase the max volume level!

Big Fate

Reaction score

Yea, I have to admit that the folder feature is nice. Which I agree is far better than playlists to the common person. But if your someone like me who just seperates by Albums it doesent make too big of a difference. For example I do custom playlists, If I have workout music I seperate it by appearing to be an album, Download a little dumbell pic on Photoshop, add the text "Workout music" with a nice font and use audio tagger to apply than I have my playlist that appears to be an album. Kinda neat feature too

Plus Poweramp is a trial version and 5.00 Dollars just to add a folder feature? Mixzing is free

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
I know this is kind of a specific request, but to any users that have in-ear canal buds (the headphones with silicone/foam tips that actually go into your ear and form a seal), can you listen to some music on your DX at the lowest volume and tell me if you hear any slight noise/hiss? I get it on my DInc. Even when the volume is 0 I can hear it, and when I pause or stop it remains for a few more seconds. If the DX has this problem as well there's probably no point in my switching.

Big Fate

Reaction score
I know this is kind of a specific request, but to any users that have in-ear canal buds (the headphones with silicone/foam tips that actually go into your ear and form a seal), can you listen to some music on your DX at the lowest volume and tell me if you hear any slight noise/hiss? I get it on my DInc. Even when the volume is 0 I can hear it, and when I pause or stop it remains for a few more seconds. If the DX has this problem as well there's probably no point in my switching.

I have the droid x and I just tested it out. No Low hiss on mine

the5barrons

Reaction score

I'm a drummer of over 25 years. 5 years ago I started using in ear monitors. Lower volumes, better external noise reduction and just no more ringing after shows made my life much more livable.

I use my dx to practice music to that I'm writing for or to and sometimes just for practice. I also use a metronome app for practicing too. I couldn't be happier with the dx sound quality. On the lower settings, it sounds fine. If your looking for sound quality that sounds like a hi fi bose whatever...you should go buy a bose system. For the average joe looking to reproduce music and well above average I might add, the dx fills that spot. Why would you be looking for hiss at the lowest volumes? Even with my in ears on, in a quiet room, I can tell that any unwarranted noise is strictly due to recording really...that is...unless there its something broken on your dx.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp