Use droid to play music in car speakers

Droidemz

Reaction score
What kind of product am I looking for?

Would one of the docks support playing my droid to the cars speakers?

I looked at the audio adapters but none say anything about capabilities of using my droid to play music in my car?

Any idea?

pyro6128

Reaction score
it depends on how you want the music played. If you just want the music to play through the speakers and thats it, then any audio car adapter for an mp3 player will work. Anything that plugs into the headphone jack and back into the radio should be what you need, or an fm transmitter, or even one of those cassettes. If you have a head unit with an aux port, you can just get an aux cable and plug one end into the unit and one end into your phone. Now if you want your phone to actually be able to interact with your car stereo, then you need to get a head unit that has that capability. I just use the aux cable and it works great.

peterjariel

Reaction score
If ur car stereo has bluetooth u can connect it that way and play all ur music.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
All you need is a car stereo that has an AUX IN port.
Thats how I have mine setup.

Plays music through the car stereo and when a call comes in it pauses the music and I hear the call clearly through the car speakers.. it's VERY nice.

OP
Droidemz

Droidemz

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies, I guess I'm just looking for something that would have the best quality and would either plug into the cigarette adapter, don't have a cassette player so thats not an option, anyone have a brand that's great quality? honda civic 2004 LX, don't think i have an aux input I've never seen it if I do

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I bought a new head unit for my car last week since my previous one didnt have the aux input so my research is pretty fresh.

I was on a VERY tight budget for this project, had to be under $150 installed or I couldnt do it. And that is tough in the car stereo market right now.

I found an Alpine CDE-100 on clearance at Best Buy for $71 and called around town to find the cheapest installation I could. Found a place willing to install it for around $50.

$127 later I have what I need in my car.

Yeah, the stereo is pretty much bare bones... it's not the greatest by any means.
But it's still Alpine - still sounds more than acceptable and it gives my Droid functionality I have been craving since I got it in december.

Another option is go to Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras and see what you can find.

xliderider

Reaction score
You can use a cassette adapter, or a BT speakerphone (the kind with an FM transmitter as well) like a Jabra SP700 or a Motorola T505 to play your music on your car's FM radio. Quality typically isn't as good as using the Aux port though, since you have to find an empty FM frequency in your area without interference from an adjacent station. Could be difficult in a crowded urban setting.

BKS

Reaction score
If ur car stereo has bluetooth u can connect it that way and play all ur music.

I'd definitely like to learn how to do this! I currently have my Droid synched to my vehicles (2010 GMC Sierra) Bluetooth for incoming & outgoing phone calls....but am unware that you can use that function to listen to music.

Any further help would be appreciated. :smile:

Droidfish

Reaction score
I've been in the market for a good bluetooth solution to playing music from my droid. I really want to buy an actual stereo unit but I can't seem to find one that specifically says it works with music and not just calling function.

As android continues to grow I am debating just waiting to see what the market brings. I would love to see the words BLUETOOTH/ANDROID CAPABLE tagged across the box some car stereos. I equally loathe seeing everything made with the Iphone specifically in mind.

I have a feeling that apples exclusivity with all the worlds devices seems to be running out, at least my fingers are crossed for this.

I'll keep everyone posted with my findings, as I'm searching for this solution at the moment.

PhoneZilla

Reaction score
Plug N Play

I use a cassette adapter for my Ipod and the sound is excellent.
But if the volume is up too high on the Ipod the sound is all static so I'll
use the cars volume to make adjustments.

Last week I plugged the Droid into the cassette adapter and played youtube videos through it.
The music and videos sounded great with no static.
But when I switched to the phone and listened to voicemail the sound was very crunchy when someone spoke.
I couldn't turn down the phone volume enough to stop the static.
So the cassette adapter will sound good for some features on the Droid but not all.

brando56894

Reaction score
To go the easy way all you need is a head unit that has an auxiliary in jack, then all you need is a simple 3.5mm male-male stereo audio cable.

Thats how I have it setup in my car and I love it, it makes everything so much easier compared to using my sirius stiletto 2 to listen to music and half the time I miss texts and calls because I cant hear them. Now when one comes in it stops everything.

Id recommend buying a car charger (kind of obvious) and a dock (get the official one if you want but its kind of a rip off since all it is is a clip that holds your droid in place and a suction cup, and the magnet that activates "car home", the store I went to wanted $50 for it but I got him down to $35 and was pretty disappointed to find out it was just a piece of plastic, no included charger like the multimedia dock)

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Id recommend buying a car charger (kind of obvious) and a dock (get the official one if you want but its kind of a rip off since all it is is a clip that holds your droid in place and a suction cup, and the magnet that activates "car home", the store I went to wanted $50 for it but I got him down to $35 and was pretty disappointed to find out it was just a piece of plastic, no included charger like the multimedia dock)

Get the Moto dock from Best Buy - comes with the charger.
$40 - best accessory by far for the Droid IMO.

Droidfish

Reaction score
Yea my car already has an auxiliary jack, and what I do like about that is the audio quality is good. This may be a solution for the OP but what I really wan't to do is use my droid to it's full capabilities.

I wan't a unit that when I sit in my car will pair up with my phone and give me calling and music capability seamlessly. I would REALLY love to control my contacts from my stereo unit. I know there are stereos with this capability just not sure how well they work with android.

Basically, I'm just ready for some futuristic, outer space style crap that will allow my phone to make sweet wireless love with my car while I talk on the phone and listen to music. Is that a lot to ask?

OP
Droidemz

Droidemz

Reaction score

Get the Moto dock from Best Buy - comes with the charger.
$40 - best accessory by far for the Droid IMO.

I've been waiting till my phone is 100 percent charged to use it, does it really matter if its 100 percent? or can you use it at any percent with out crapping out the life of the battery?