use 3.5mm phone jack for other than music

rayz007

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if I can use the 3.5mm phone jack to hear calls, navigation cues or other things besides multimedia playback. I hook my droid up to my car audio through a Monster cigarette lighter adapter and it would be nice to hear calls and the navigator on my car speakers. Thanks.

rayz007

Stigy

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if I can use the 3.5mm phone jack to hear calls, navigation cues or other things besides multimedia playback. I hook my droid up to my car audio through a Monster cigarette lighter adapter and it would be nice to hear calls and the navigator on my car speakers. Thanks.

rayz007
AFAIK if a headset is plugged into the 3.5mm jack, ANY sound the phone would normally make would be routed through that.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I have some stereo headphones with a mic and call button I bought from Verizon and it works fine for phone calls. If you're playing music it will pause and let you answer the call then pick right up from where you left off.

jkayner

Reaction score
yeah, when in the car playing music, every time i get an email, the music pauses and it plays my ntification sound.

CDB

Reaction score
If you're in navigation mode while playing music, the music will go silent to allow the navigation que to play. It'll also go silent to allow a notification to play. When a phone call comes in though, it wouldn't let me use my car speakers as the output...only the built-in speaker could be used.

Unless the new patch changed it, it doesn't pause the music...just goes silent for the duration of whatever notification is playing.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Another thing worth noting is that when a headset or cable to your car aux jack is plugged in but there is not microphone, the phone switches to speakerphone mode for the internal microphone and has really nice sound quality (actually better now at 2.0.1). If you select speaker phone during a call, the micophone remains the same but the sound goes back to the internal speaker.

Actually makes for very nice hands free use when listening to music through the car audio system. I might like it better than BT in fact.

Unfortunately if you are actually in car mode, the audio goes though the internal speaker instead of the jack as noted in an earlier post. It would be nice if this were configurable when actually in car mode. Not an issue, if like me, you are not using the dock but just selecting Car Home.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Schamess

Reaction score
Using auxiliary output and bluetooth phone set - works fine!

I listen to music using a cable from the Droid auxiiary (headphone) output to the car stereo aux. input. I use a bluetooth for phone calls. The Droid switches very nicely from the music (thru car speakers) to the Bluetooth headset for calls, and back again.

My only compliant is compressed sound using the auxiliary cable but I will start another post re that.

FireDroid

Reaction score
Dont know if i should start another thread or keep it here, but if you have a vehicle with SYNC, you can plug your mini usb to usb into the USB port on the car and then mount the Droid and then you can use the steering wheel mounted controls and it will display your info fo songs on the display. I have yet to try the voice stuff though. Also it will charge the phone at the same time.

minmongoblin

Reaction score
If you're in navigation mode while playing music, the music will go silent to allow the navigation que to play. It'll also go silent to allow a notification to play. When a phone call comes in though, it wouldn't let me use my car speakers as the output...only the built-in speaker could be used.

Unless the new patch changed it, it doesn't pause the music...just goes silent for the duration of whatever notification is playing.
That is GREAT to know, I was about to test this tonight on the way to a friend's house.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Unfortunately if you are actually in car mode, the audio goes though the internal speaker instead of the jack as noted in an earlier post. It would be nice if this were configurable when actually in car mode. Not an issue, if like me, you are not using the dock but just selecting Car Home.

You might want to look into the abilities of DockAwake. It has a setting to force the speaker behavior to what you want when you dock. There are two sets of settings, one for car dock and one for media dock. It's a buck.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Dont know if i should start another thread or keep it here, but if you have a vehicle with SYNC, you can plug your mini usb to usb into the USB port on the car and then mount the Droid and then you can use the steering wheel mounted controls and it will display your info fo songs on the display. I have yet to try the voice stuff though. Also it will charge the phone at the same time.

New thread, yes please. Photos of the SYNC display, please. Data coming out of the USB port that isn't documented anywhere is entirely worth attention.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mounting the SD card is mounting the SD card whether you're mounting to a PC, your car or whatever else. It simply grants access to the data on the card.